Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday Floating on Willard Bay (Utah)
[cool][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][#0000ff]Worked out a meetup thing for a tubing/boating get-together on Willard Bay this morning, with PACKFAN and his wife. Boy did they pick a nice morning for fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I launched in the NE corner about 6 am. Air temp 65, water temp 76. No waders needed. Yeah. Bring on da heat. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There was a nice pink glow when we launched. No W and no bugs. Don't get much better than that. Well, it woulda been nice to get to play with a couple of wipers but they were playing elusive today. Saw a few small ones hit the surface early, but no boils.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Threw lots of plastics and hardbaits but no wiperkind. As soon as I started dragging a minnow I got kitty-smacked though. TubeBabe had got two small cats and I got one before Mr. and Mrs. PACKFAN cruised up in their nicely appointed Crestliner.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The kitties weren't real active until the sun came over the mountains and hit the water about 7:30. Then we all got some hits and brought in a few small kitties. Just after 8 it really turned on for awhile and everybody was reeling in the small channels. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got one small male channel that was the smallest "daddy cat" I have ever caught. He had the head and the skinny body...and the colors...of a spawning male just off the nest. He was thin and went back into the water, as did about 15 - 20 other small cats, from 12" to about 15".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]During one hectic half hour session, I was fishing two bait rods and had 4 consecutive "doubles"...fish either hooked or running line on both rods at the same time. PACKFAN was cruising over to take a "Smiley shot" when I got the last double. Both rods took off at the same time. I set the hook on the first fish and then put the rod back in my holder. I then set the hook on the second fish and reeled it in. The first fish kept trying to spin my tube around as I unhooked the one I had already brought in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Only a couple of PWC on the water (starting at daybreak). No pesky skiers. There was one old guy dragging a worm harness around for walleyes, in his red Tracker. He couldn't stand watching me catch fish after fish so he dragged his gear close by me and actually hooked a small cat right under my tube.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Both TubeBabe and I released several times more than we kept, usually keeping only the kitties that had swallowed our hooks. By 10 AM, we were both had seven in the basket, and needed only one more to limit. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I put away one of the bait rods, and picked up a rod rigged with tandem small plastics, I saw some surface disturbance nearby. No big boils or heavy splashes, but looked a lot like small wipers mopping up on some of the newly hatched shad fry. About my third cast I had a whack and brought in a scrappy wiperette. Looked like one of this year's plants. Saw more of them splashing but did not hang around very long to try for more. Now, if they had been six pounds, instead of six inches, I woulda been all over that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Mr. and Mrs. PACKFAN seemed to have a good time with the bitty kitties too. In fact, they were the primary target today, rather than wipers. I think they were able to collect enough for a decent fish fry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Great to meet up with you guys again.[/#0000ff] [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17252;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] DAWN GLOW LAUNCH.JPG [/#333366][/url](184 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17253;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] PACKFAN'S RIDE.JPG [/#333366][/url](135 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17254;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] MR. & MRS. PACKFAN.JPG [/#333366][/url](129 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17255;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] SMALL SKINNY MALE.JPG [/#333366][/url](173 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17256;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] WALLEYE DRAGGER.JPG [/#333366][/url](164 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17257;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] WIDDLE WIPER.JPG [/#333366][/url](155 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17258;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] TUBERS' TAKEHOME.JPG [/#333366][/url](220 KB) [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
As usual, a great report. I especially liked the pic with the pink sky.

Looking at the Walleye dragger, I can see why you said he caught a cat right under your tube. That guy was close.

You all had a nice haul of catfish.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks Z. The pink glow was mostly due to smoke in the air from a fire in California and a couple in Utah. It has made for a couple of "Arizona-like" sunsets recently too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That guy in the red boat was either very friendly or had little sense of sportsmanship or boat handling. He fishes out there just about every day, but has never come so close as he did yesterday. There were a couple of times he came by that I could have almost reached out and touched his boat with my rod. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lucky for him I have mellowed somewhat in my old age. I am also probably more sensitive to "seniors" and less prone to download on them for their transgressions. He was trolling very slowly, with his lines almost straight down below his boat. Unlike the guys who troll over a hundred feet back for wipers he posed little threat of snagging either me or my lines, and was not creating either a noise or a nuisance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had he been one of the plethora of younger and more blatant boaters who delight in harassing tubers and tooners, he would have likely been the recipient of some scathing comment, such as "Whassamatta...you running out of lake to fish in?". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't know why, but boaters often feel that having the larger craft gives them the right to crowd out anyone in a lesser ride. I have lost count of the times boats have all but trolled right over top of me, or have gone between me and the shoreline where I was obviously casting and fishing. One of my ploys these days is to bring out my camera and take a picture, as I did with the old guy. When the boater asks why I am taking their picture, I reply "It's for my collection of (BLEEP) pictures. In fact, I think I will make you the (BLEEP) of the month."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hey, Uncle Z, any fishing in the near future for you?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]You know what they say... "Beauty is skin deep, stupidity goes clean to the bone." It is sometimes difficult to grasp how people can show such disregard for their fellow man. (Of course I understand the deeper issue but that's not something to discuss here.) Stupidity is really the kindest and most hopeful explanation for it. At least there's hope that some learning might take place. Total cold disregard for other human life besides one's own is a much uglier diagnosis. I'd like to believe there are just a lot of stupid people out there and that the growing coarseness around us isn't a symptom of a much deeper malady. You can humor me by agreeing.[Wink] That guy in the boat is probably just oblivious to the way he's coming across.

Part of my problem is that I'm old enough to remember the civility among fishermen that would yield a whole section of water (river or lake) to a fellow fisherman and, in time, there would be the reciprocation of the same. It was a kinder, gentler world where a kid could leave home in the morning, fish all day, and return home in the evening with never a thought to danger from another human. If you somehow got into trouble you could count on a neighbor helping you out.

You wrote:

[#0000ff][size 1]Don't know why, but boaters often feel that having the larger craft gives them the right to crowd out anyone in a lesser ride. I have lost count of the times boats have all but trolled right over top of me, or have gone between me and the shoreline where I was obviously casting and fishing. [/size][/#0000ff]

I find myself wondering occasionally if some of it may have to do with the different perspectives of the boater vs. the tuber. When I'm in my tube, even on small ponds, things appear much larger than they look from a vantage up and above the water (such as in a boat or on the shore.) Maybe the transgression doesn't seem so blatant from the view of the guy sitting in a boat. Again, humor me.[Wink]

Still not fishing but hopeful. (Can you tell by the length of my post? Much more philosophizing than fishing.) Can't remember the last time I've gone this long without wetting a line. Priorities, priorities... I have a big picture of my SFC set up as wallpaper on my wide screen monitor at home. It greets me each morning and reminds me of more carefree days that I hope will soon return.

As always I appreciate the "fishing" I get to do here through the experiences of others. The pictures make it more enjoyable.

z~
[signature]
Perfit! You can use the photos as a proof that those boaters were toooooo close to the state's fish dept and they might send out warnings that they would be ticketed with your photos?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Unfortunately, the law reads that the boaters must maintain "wakeless" speed within 150 feet of another boater or swimmer. That means that someone slow trolling with an electric motor can actually bump into you and be guilty only of bad navigation.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You and I come from a time when people learned mutual respect and sportsmanship before going out into the fray. Giving others their "space" was just the thing to do. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't know about you, but I have become a bit more cynical in my later years. As much as I would like to believe in the basic goodness of man (and woman), I tend to accept what I see and hear, more than what would seem to be ideal. That is usually a case of everybody being out to get all they can from whoever they can, regardless of the consequences on either side. And, furthermore, some people even seem to have an ornery streak that leads them to go out of their way to cause discomfort to others.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The flip side of that is that I also realize that I cannot do much to change the innate bad manners people have developed. I can register my displeasure, and even bark a bit (from my front porch), but it is not going to change them at all. The only thing a loud confrontation is likely to produce these days is getting yourself shot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, I shake my head and try to relocate to another place where the quality of the companionship is better. I'm not a coward or a quitter. I just prefer to leave hostility and rudeness to those who live by it, and find my peace and tranquility elsewhere.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD,

My grandfather taught me to leave a place at least as good as it was found and preferably in an improved condition. People were to be respected according to the "Golden Rule." It was nice while it lasted. We grew up in wonderful times from that perspective.

Your approach of relocation somewhere else where there is peace and tranquility is surely the best. Trying to stay ahead of such people also helps sometimes (fishing early and late and on weekdays.)

z~
[signature]
[size 1](fishing early and late and on weekdays.) That's the point, I try to go out for fishing on fridays or as we did for blueberries yesturday (friday). When I can't do on a friday then would pick any day on a weekend which would have more people out there.[Sad] [/size]
[size 1]Last year on the blueberries, we couldn't do it on friday so took saturday and boy we had to wait in a line for two hours on a hot humid day, no fun. Yesturday it was almost just us in the whole patch.[Smile][/size]
[size 1]As for fishing on weekdays it is almost the whole lake for yourself![Smile][Smile][/size]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey CatfishTodd,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have used minnows and chicken liver with pretty good success, however, I typically do not mix two very diverse types of baits like that. Not that mixing won't work, but, catfish have an extremely developed sense of smell/taste and are attracted to the scent of minnows all by themselves. Yes they are also attacted to the scent of liver and other stinky menu items, but I like to keep things a little more simple. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]If I were going to use a combination of minnows and liver, I would use a two bait presentation comprised of one hook baited with a minnow and another separate hook baited with liver(either on the same rigged line or on separate poles). [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]As far as Rapalas go, they do work for catfish - as do Spoons, Spinners, Jigs, Streamers, Nymphs, and a host of other natural and/or man-made food representations. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Just remember, that the primary sense that catfish use to locate food items, is that of smell/taste. [/size][/black]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you got a few fish. The channel cats in Willard are almost like a separate species. They certainly act differently than the stereotypes most people have for them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Willard Bay is full now, and the water stays fairly clear. The primary forage species in the lake are the gizzard shad. All predators key on them and follow them around the lake. The channel cats actually become sight feeders under these conditions and can even be found rolling on the shad right on the surface, along with wipers during a boil. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, their willingness to hit lures goes way back. I have been catching channel cats on lures and flies from Willard Bay since the mid 70's. As long as there is some good visibility, you can score on a wide variety of lures and colors. These days, shad-imitating lures work best. But, depending on water temperature and clarity, black, white, chartreuse or other more highly visible colors might work better.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As far as bait is concerned, throw away your stink baits and some of the other catfish stuff when you fish Willard. Stick with worms, shrimp, FRESH carp meat and fresh (frozen) minnows. If you are going to touch them up with scent, use anchovy or shad oil. Crawdad also works, since a lot of the cats forage for 'dads in the rocks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the "wierd" baits that DOES work for Willard cats is pieces of wieners. They love them. Cheaper than shrimp and they stay on the hook well too. Plain works well, but the garlic and cheese varieties can be great.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The cats used to hit much better at night on Willard. These days we seem to do better after the sun hits the water. Again, that is probably something to do with the sight feeding thing. However, the bigger cats will often feed better after dark, especially early and late in the year, when the water temps are warmer at the end of the day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Back to lures. If you are fishing off the rocks, and want to throw lures, be sure to use light heads on your plastics or you will donate a lot to the rocks. I usually use a 1/16 oz. head on a size 2/0 hook with a 3" twister or shad body plastic. During low light conditions you can pick up walleyes, wipers and cats on the same lures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have done well with Rapalas in several colors. I prefer the size 5 or 7 countdown models...in silver with dark (black or blue) back, gold with dark back or even the hot orange with gold and white. That can be dynamite sometimes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Producer line of lures work well too. Prism Shad is a favorite, but several other colors will work also.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The main thing is to first find the fish and then to make the right presentation. Experiment with depths and retrieve speed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About depth. I use sonar on my float tube and I really use it to help find the fish. On some days the cats will be in water as shallow as 6-8 feet, right next to the rocks. On other days they will be out in 16 - 20 feet. Recently I have been having my best luck in about 14 feet of water. Not sure whether it is a visibility or temperature thing, but you have to go with what the cats prefer. Once you find the zone, you can usually harvest a few fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope this helps.[/#0000ff]
[signature]