Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Uintas Scout Trip Report
Thanks for all of the help from you all who gave me advice about my scout trip to the Trial Lake area. We did pretty well and were able to get some of the kids who had never caught fish hooked up. We fished mostly in Crystal Lake (near where we camped). I was amazed with the amount of surface activity at dusk! You could just about run across the lake stepping on brookies the whole way! Anyway, we caught in the neighborhood of 20 fish, all released (probably 90% safely--still trying to teach the kids the whole concept of reviving the fish). Most were brook trout in the 8-12 inch range. I did catch what appeared to be a tiger trout in Washington Lake. Now, I am pretty sure that there aren't supposed to be tiger trout in there, but it wasn't a cut, or a rainbow, or a brook trout, or a brown trout for sure. So, I suppose it was either a tiger or a splake, or simply one of the fish that I mentioned before that just looked funny. Anyway, I caught it.
We probably had the most success using a bubble and a renegade fly, followed by a bubble and a mosquito. I didn't have any luck with the Pistol Pete--but maybe I was doing it wrong. We also caught fish with rooster tails (black and silver) panther martins (red and yellow with a gold blade) and gold and red Jakes Spin a' lure. The fish were bigger (on average) in Washington Lake than in Crystal Lake. Anyway, thanks to everyone for your help, if you haven't gone to the Uintas fishing, you should (not to mention it was about 80 degrees as opposed to 103, just be sure to bring A LOT of bug spray. Man!!!
[signature]
Great "cool" report! Did you see any deer or elk on your trip?
[signature]
Oddly, we did not see any elk or deer, which I thought was pretty strange. I was hoping to see some moose--but nothing. Basically we just say fish, muskrats, and mosquitoes.
[signature]
The DWR did plant tigers in Washington and I think in Trial as well last year.

It probably was a tiger.
[signature]
That's good to know, I thought I was hallucinating. They are really pretty fish and seem pretty aggressive.
[signature]
Hey LH2, my inlaws say the first 2 weeks they see deer every morning and a moose or two in or near or in the campgrounds. But since its picked up in trial, less deer. Father inlaw says he stills see a moose off on the trail that goes to star lake. No elk.
[signature]