Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube fins
Hey Tube Dude, thanks for all of the good reading that you sent me. I have a couple of questions about the fins you use. How much do they run and how big can you get them. I wear a size 14 shoe and by the time you add neoprene waders and wool socks you need a large fin to fit me. I have struggled with the strap on ones that I have that only extend about 8 inches past my shoes. Also I can't afford to buy two different sets for cold and warm water use so I will probably need to find some adjustables. The adjustables that I have seen so far are tight even on the loosest setting. I haven't been to a scuba shop yet, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions on what brand and type to buy.

Thanks again for all of the great reading.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, BIGFOOT, you need to go to a good scuba shop...or go online. There are lots of sites under "skin diving fins". To shorten the search, I looked up the site for the ones Ihave been using for about 15 years...the Plana Avanti. Most good dive shops will carry them. [url "http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/maresplanaavantifin.html"]http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/maresplanaavantifin.html[/url]

These can be pricey (over $100), but are worth the investment if you get a few years hard use out of them. I have no way of counting how many trips mine have made to both fresh and salt water. I have a size 13 foot, and the X-Large size fits fine with full winter dress and flats boots. They have the "soft foot pocket" I mention in my book, and the straps are easy to adjust, with the pop-off snap. I have plenty of extra strap length left on mine, even in winter mode. And, I can cinch them down a few notches for lighter gear in the warmer months. And...I even use them for snorkeling too. Imagine that.

What ever you do, follow my advice in that article and take your full gear with you to try the fins on before you buy them. You may look funny with a pair of neoprene panty hose in a dive shop, trying on fins, but that's better than getting foot cramps and cold feet from cirsulation compression.

It has been awhile since I bought my last pair, so I am not sure what sizes they come in these days. A couple of calls to the closest shop should take care of that question, so you can shorten the looking cycle.

In fishing gear, as with most important purchases, it is sometimes better to spend a little more than you want...than not quite enough.
[signature]
Hey Tube Dude, looks like we both have good foundations under us. Thanks for the link and info, Those fins look like they have some power. I will check out the local shop and see what they have. Father's day is coming up, I better drop a few hints and look for a Mother's day present that costs a little over $100 [Wink].
[signature]
[cool] They say that a big part of success in fishing is learning the habits of your intended quarry. It gets to be a lot like that in marriage too. A little proper planning, a delicate presentation snd then being careful not to set the "hook" too soon. Of course, knowing how to "play" your wife the right way is important too.

Over the years, my wife and I have developed a relationship that results in very few disputes. We have a 50 - 50 arrangement around our place. She gets fifty dollars and I get fifty cents.

After I had posted that link, I wandered around through the site and found that their current list price on those fins is under $80. If you can find them for that price in a retail outlet, they are a good buy. I also noticed some wild looking fins made by Dacor. I would have to see them up close and personal, and maybe try them on the water before I could give them any kind of recommendation, but they sure are purty.

I have gone through a whole lot of different fins over the years. Many will work okay, but if you are going to want to move long distances...especially on big waters, against the wind or in currents, you need the best propulsion you can get. Those Avanti fins have established themselves with me, and more than a few other float-craft nuts, as being a good combination of size, efficiency and comfort.

Good luck in your search...and your "setup" with the spouse.
[signature]
My wife just strings me along by giving me just enough fishing gear to keep me from wandering in search of more. That is great that they are only $80, that means that they will only cost me $160 instead of $200+[Wink]. Thanks for the help. BTW, have you filled your quota of "product testers"? If you haven't I know I would be able to give some of your stuff a rigerous tooth testing.
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

I like all your valuable advice but I love you're encourging viewers/readers to try out stuff they're going to invest good money (now you know I'm stingy) and maybe ruin a once-in-a-lifetime fishing trip because you didn't!

You'd (not you literally) be amazed at how often the seller will let you do what you need to do (within reason) to satisfy yourself the product is for you.

I do and usually the seller can be confident I ain't coming back with my tail between my legs whining for a refund. ha ha

Thanks for the usual good advice,

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool] Thanks for the AMEN on that issue. I learned the hard way, buying things with more enthusiasm than brains...and paid for it later. You're right. If you are talking to the RIGHT tackle outlet, they know the value of "try before you buy"...and also they know about building good customer relations. If you ever make a reasonable request, about feeling/holding/touching or trying something...and you get a stern reply...you need to take your business elsewhere.

Trying out a new float tube is one thing you can often do if you know someone who has one, and they will let you launch it and put it through the paces. If not, offer to rent one, from the dealer, with the rent to apply toward the purchase...leaving a hefty deposit as evidence of your good intentions. As you pointed out, the wrong time to find out you made a bad choice is on the first day of a long trip...many miles from the dealer.

Fins, boots, waders and other gear are an easier matter. Again, bring all the clothes you plan to wear the the gear in question and be sure your intended purchase will fill the bill, in terms of comfort and function. I can't believe all the rookies I have had to assist, on the water, because they got into trouble with mismatched gear.

You make some excellent points, yourself, JR. Always good to have you contribute to our humble forum.
[signature]
Right now all I can do is look at new fins. My wife has it in her head that since I surf and body board that the fins I use are fine. She does not realize how long it takes me to get from point a to point b.[Sad]
[signature]
try this double handed down right dirty trick.

buy your wife a tube and fins so she can go fishing with you, dont forget to get a maching pair of fins for your self because you want to be a mach with your wife.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Eric. Didn't you just finish justifying the purchase of that new tube? Man, you got a lot of "sand", even thinkin' about getting the distaff half to go for another silly contribution to your addiction.

It's a gender thing, that goes way back to cave man days. Cave women didn't want their mates spending valuable "providing time", doing foolish things like eating and sleeping or even laying around the cave and watching the cave paintings. (I'll bet those half-time commercials were even worse than ours)

Today you don't need to go fishing for subsistence, so the females think fishing is a waste of time. If you aren't working to bring home more money for the mall (hunting and gathering), you are not providing. I once tried the "need to get fish for cave" excuse on my spouse and she just cracked up laughing...on the cave floor.

On the serious side, a good set of comfortable, high-propulsion fins is not a luxury, it is a necessity. Not only do they move you faster and further than less effective fins, they require less energy and provide more safety, in the event of high winds and/or sudden currents.

Maybe you can convince your spouse that you need the greater propulsion to keep you out of the clutches of the sexy senior citizen babes, in their thongs, if you get too close to Belmont Shore. You know, "survival of the fastest"?
[signature]
Tube Dude, you are a riot[sly]. You crack me up, you ought to write a book . . . wait a minute. I hope some kid doesn't read something into your sarcasm.
[signature]
[cool]Appreciate the concern, but we're all adults on THIS site. The kids play on the OTHER forum.

And I do have a book. It's in its third printing. I would have more printed if I could print faster.

Some folks tell me I should be on television or radio. Then they could turn me off. But, then again, I'm a good argument for the delete key.
[signature]
[reply]I am new to float fishing. I went out on virgin voyage yesterday and was I in for surprise. I have a fish cat 4. I can go backwards great but everything else is worse than terrible. Can some of you on this forum PLEASE give me some advice on how to use the fins? Thanks in advance for any help. mathcarver
[cool] Thanks for the AMEN on that issue. I learned the hard way, buying things with more enthusiasm than brains...and paid for it later. You're right. If you are talking to the RIGHT tackle outlet, they know the value of "try before you buy"...and also they know about building good customer relations. If you ever make a reasonable request, about feeling/holding/touching or trying something...and you get a stern reply...you need to take your business elsewhere.

Trying out a new float tube is one thing you can often do if you know someone who has one, and they will let you launch it and put it through the paces. If not, offer to rent one, from the dealer, with the rent to apply toward the purchase...leaving a hefty deposit as evidence of your good intentions. As you pointed out, the wrong time to find out you made a bad choice is on the first day of a long trip...many miles from the dealer.

Fins, boots, waders and other gear are an easier matter. Again, bring all the clothes you plan to wear the the gear in question and be sure your intended purchase will fill the bill, in terms of comfort and function. I can't believe all the rookies I have had to assist, on the water, because they got into trouble with mismatched gear.

You make some excellent points, yourself, JR. Always good to have you contribute to our humble forum.[/reply]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, welcome to BFT and welcome to the "Flotation Forum".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I understand your question, you want some help or reassurance in getting good mobility from your fins. Evidently you have decent fins, that propel you backwards allright, but you are having trouble maneuvering. Right?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Unless you invest in some of those little green "paddle pushers", that move you forward (slowly and painfully), you simply need to realize that all of your propulsion will be to the rear. Not all bad. You just have to look around once in awhile to make sure you know where you are going. Either that or install rear view mirrors (joking).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the more difficult things for many new tubers is learning how to simply turn around in place. That requires practice in putting your fins straight down and both twisting them and/or using just one at a time to make your craft rotate. It's kinda like paddling a canoe or rowing a boat. Applying thrust on one side will cause you to turn.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It's a similar thing when you are trying to troll or move in a straight line. You need to make the same thrust with both fins or you will veer off course. It is best to maintain a constant slow measured kick than to try to throw up a rooster tail. On the other hand, changing the thrust on one side or another will help you turn or make course corrections.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Practicing and trying new things is the best way to get the feel of your new gear. Once you learn the benefits and the limitations, and you can do everything automatically, you can focus on fishing and not have to worry about doing something wrong.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope that helps. Come on back if you need clarification. By the way, what kind of fins did you get?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I apprecitate your response greatly and I understand what you are saying. As the the type I remember the brand name is _________ creek. Sorry I cannot remember the first part of the brand name. I know one thing, I thoroughly enjoyed my new fish cat 4. thanks again, mathcarver
[signature]