Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle Provo 7-22-06
Someone must have awaken the big Browns on the Provo because they were all over today. Hit the Middle with my dad this morning. Early morning was pretty slow. At about 11 someone flipped on the fish switch because we couldn't keep them off our flies for the next couple of hours. My dad and I have been fishing the Middle Provo only since late April, so we're still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Normally we catch a good amount of fish but nothing over 12-14". Today we caught our fair share of small fish but caught equally as many in the 16+" range. My dad caught the biggest of the day at 17". Just eyeballing the fish I could have sworn it was 25 inches. But we measured it at 17. The fish were all extremely fat. We were using a funny carrot colored fly today. I guess the fish like carrots. Definately the best day we've had on the Provo. In total we landed about 15 fish and lost a few more.
My dad has our season record for biggest fish so far at 19 inches. 19 sounds small but from what we've seen this year, 19 inches is huge! I had a fish today that would have beat that but I lost him after about a 10 minute fight... I'm still learning how bring the big ones in...but I'll have my 25 incher soon.....
[signature]
WOW! What a good report!! Glad you had fun and it is nice to see the fish there are starting to get some size again.
What patterns produced for you?
[signature]
Size 20 zebra midge and size 16 Ray Charles. The fish were absolutely murdering the Ray's by late afternoon. I've never had my strike indicator shoot the opposite direction of the flow so fast.
[signature]