Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube repair and Pinview 7/23
Had to check out by stiching repair to see if I had a tube for Wed. with the Dude and River. You might remember that besides leaving my rod and reel at Willard earlier this week with the Dude and others I was falling out of the bottom of my tube hearing a ripping noise.[shocked] Well, I got out the needle and thread (heavy) and did some work. Took Sparky out, he's always up for it, and braved the boaters to test the tube in a little bay that most, I emphasize, most boaters and scooters don't go into. Was only going to be there for a short time to test the repair but,-------, took my cheapie rod and reel with me. Well, I ended up spending about 4 hrs. "testing" and caught half a dozen smallies and a good size carp in this little bay. I had just put on a new hook (snag stole my other one) and a reaper and was rummaging for a little split shot and picked up the pole and, well, ------------ I had a carp. Had fun with him and released him saving my lure.
Tube repair- succesful, so far.
Still trying to get a response on what to buy for a bass rod but haven't gotten much response. Oh well, I guess I'll look for a St. Croix, but, I really didn't want to spend that much $ for just an old geezer in a tube.[unimpressed]
Leaky
Glad to hear you tube's fixed![Smile] As for a rod, i would just buy an Ugly Stick Lite and be done with it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like a good day of R&D to me. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It doesn't matter what everybody else tells you, you know you are going to buy whatever you want to anyway. Might as well spend a few bucks to show your wife that New Zealand is not the only place to blow money.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Fred, sounds like you need to get out and do a little walkin in the wilderness to shed a few pounds![Tongue]

As far as rods go, it really depends on how much dough you want to cough up. I like the ol ugly stick as well, but I also have a GLoomis that is really nice to fish with. I haven't really fished with much else, so there is my 2 cents.
[signature]
Well, that's interesting. I have an old, and I mean OLD, ugly stick that I'm using in the interim. It's an old trout rod with all the printing worn offf so it's hard to tell what it is. Best I can tell it's 6 1/2 ft. medium action. Don't like it as much as my bass rod since it's a little whippy at the end and a little heavy, but, looks like I should be satisfied for now, huh?
Leaky
That is why i said "Ugly Stick Lite". They got rid of the whippy tip and are extremely sevnsitive and strong.
[signature]
Thaks guy, I'll take a lok at em. [Smile]
Leaky
Leaky,

I don't know the specs on the kind of rod you're looking for for bass fishing....but I do suggest you look at these brands. You will find that they have some rods that are quite reasonable and some maybe too pricey for you. Take a look at Fenwick (HMX and HMG Series), Shimano (Clarus and Compre series), St. Croix (Premier and Avid Series). G.Loomis makes excellent rods. Their unconditional lifetime warranty and custom-like performance come at aprice, but my do they feel so niiiiice! The GL2 series is reasonable. I would avoid Ugly Stick Lites for bass fishing. They are an excellent rod but more suitable for other types of fishing. As far as a general bass rod in this area is concerned....go with a Med or Med-Hvy stick in 6-6 to 7-0 range with a Med-Fast to Fast action. You should be able to fish most plastics with this rig and some cranks and spinners as well. More moderate actions generally work better for cranks, while faster actions perform better with plastics.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
[signature]