Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not berry nice but Starvation was filling
My trip to Strawberry was not as special as MGB's my boat is too small to be mobile enough to find the cutts. I launched from Renegade and tried many different areas trolling tubes and cranks and jigging tubes. Caught just a couple and never did see any schools on the electronics. Watched some on the underwater camera but not many. I was amazed at how many crawdads I saw clear out to 40' of water on the camera.
Decided to go to Starvation for day two and what a hoot it was. There were walleye, smallmouth and perch everywhere. They were fun to watch on the camera too. Fished just west of the boat ramp across the lake in the rocks and caught most fish in 6 to 18 feet of water. Almost all where caught on hammered silver walleye harness and bottom bouncer. Just a few on white gulp grub. They're not big but will make a good shore lunch as they say on TV.
[signature]
Too bad about the slow day at strawberry. At least you caught afew. Strawberry has been challenging this year for me. My last two trips where not looking good right up untill 2 or 3 O'clock both days. We stuck with our guns and never gave up and it paid off.
[signature]
[cool]Hey at least you got some of those delicious warm water fishies to bite out at Starvation!

So, about the crawdads at Renegade, did you see lots of them even in close to shore? I'm thinking of going crawdading in a few weeks and was thinking about there or the Aspen Grove area...
[signature]
The crawdads were in areas with both vegetation and rocks as well as strolling across the bottom out in the deep just adjacent to the vegetation patches. There were some kids dipnetting them just north of the boat ramp at Renegade after dark when I loaded my boat. I don't think they were even using any bait to lure them in that I could see anyway.
Last year we trapped a couple hundred but it was across the bay to the north from the Renegade boat ramp. They are good eatin and fun to catch.
[signature]
There were plenty of crayfish at the Soldier launch. It looked as though someone had killed a hundred or so and left them in shallow water. There has been no problem catching hundreds after dark. The only problem has been knowing when to stop. It isn't that fun tailing 500 in one sitting.

Slayer
[signature]