Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Lake Camping and Fishing July 21-22, 06
Sorry for the late report, but I've been too busy playin' in the woods with my two sons and needing to recuperate soon thereafter.

I decided to take Friday off work and asked the boys (ages 9 and 7) if they wanted to go camping and fishing up in the high country. They enthusiastically said yes.

By the time my wife and I got aluminum foil dinners and breakfasts ready for the trip and the truck and boat loaded with gear, the boys and I weren't on the road to Fairview Canyon until about 7:30 p.m. Thursday evening. We beelined it to E. Lake, arriving a few minutes before 9, and quickly began scurrying about to set up camp in the last remaining minutes of dusky light. I immediately built a fire so that we'd have glowing coals for cooking and then we quickly pitched our tents.

On the way up the canyon, I made the extraordinarily dumb move of telling my youngest son that a bear had just attacked a small boy up Hobblecreek Canyon the night before, the bear having bit the boy's arm and shoulder through his tent as he slept. Having just frightened the previous day's meals out of my young son, I spent the rest of the night ensuring him that the likelihood of something similar happening to him was nearly impossible.

First, I told him that authorities had gone up and shot the bear and that we were very far from Hobblecreek Canyon. "But aren't there bears up Fairview Canyon?" came his reply. "Yes," I answered, so I had to continue consoling him. Second, I assured him that he and his brother would be very safe sleeping within the protective metal barrier of my truck's bed (with the tailgate closed). And third, I told him that the chance of any bear still being hungry after the bear had dined on their 250-pound father (who would be sleeping on the ground next to the bed of the truck) would be very remote. My reasoning seemed to put their minds at ease, and they went to bed with looks of "good luck, Dad" in their eyes as I zipped up the door of their tent.

I love my sons deeply, so as they slept soundly through the night, I kept listening for them to rustle in their sleeping bags or whimper in fear of possible bear attacks. Though I heard hardly a stir, I still couldn't sleep. It was a rough night for me.

The next morning, I dragged myself out of my Cabela's tent cot (a fine piece of equipment, by the way) and stoked the coals of the previous night's campfire. The previous night's dinner had been strips of steak, peppers, onions, and tomatoes in foil and whole ears on corn, roasted in their husks. The morning's meal would be potatoes, peppers, onions, and eggs mixed together in foil. Needless to say, we ate like kings (or princes, as it were, har har!).

Upon smelling breakfast, the boys immerged from their tent all rested and energetic. "How'd you sleep?" I asked. "Really good," they both responded. The fact that they'd slept like logs and I hadn't made it difficult for me to keep up with them for the rest of the day.

Soon after breakfast was consumed and our camp was cleaned, we launched the 14' aluminum boat and had a nice morning of fishing. We caught several cookie-cutter E. Lake cutts, anywhere from 14-17" long, a couple of feisty rainbows, and long-line released a few more. All took worms Carolina-rigged, with corkies floating them a couple feet off the bottom. Didn't even get a nibble on minnows or PowerPutty.

We also caught several red-sided shiners in my minnow trap, and the boys had fun catching the little baitfish with miniature treble hooks tipped with bits of worm. All in all, a very fun morning for everyone.

The boys soon tired of sitting in the boat and asked if they could go play on shore. We had found a nice frisbee earlier that morning in the shoreline reeds while launching the boat, so the boys had fun tossing the disk and wading in the water, while I continued to fish close by in the boat. As the afternoon wore on, I caught a couple more fish, but I wasn't fishing too seriously. It was nice watching the boys have fun.

We called it quits around 3 p.m. and headed for home. On the way down the canyon, we passed several caravans and convoys heading up the canyon, no doubt to celebrate Pioneer weekend. It made me feel good to have beaten the crowds, as we had Electric Lake mostly to ourselves.

As I'm sure the rest of Utah was playing the next day, Saturday, I lounged around lazily at home trying to catch up on sleep.
[signature]
so you did not see the black bear up there huh? last tuesday there was one about half way down the lake on the west side!! we seen it come down to the water then when it heard us took off for the trees.. kinda cool to see one tho..

the bugg's did not eat ya up? the deerflys are out bad up there right now..

if your headed up fairview canyon any time soon take some bug spray with!! or your not going to be there very long..
[signature]
We didn't see the bear, which is a good thing I'm sure. If we had seen it, I doubt my youngest son would have gotten out of the cab of the truck for the whole trip.

I was going to mention something about the deer flies, but I thought my original post was long enough. Yep, they were horrible. I got bit several times on my legs and hands. The next day the bites itched a lot worse than mosquito bites do.

I guess you gotta take the bad with the good when you're up in a place as beautiful as Electric Lake, though.

Hey, Ron, next time I'm up there, what lake would you suggest I try for a little variety. Where is Cleveland and Huntington in relation to Electric? I've fished the little lakes/ponds just before E. Lake. Isn't Huntington the relatively larger body of water just past E. Lake? Is Cleveland the little body of water just before E. Lake?

I always appreciate your help.
[signature]
if i'm thinking right here you were on the north end of E-lake.. there fore the two small lakes you passed are first cc pond or some call it benches pond.. the next small lake you are seeing is called bolger lake.. then you come to the north end of E-lake..

but if you keep going on the main road at the top of the canyon and go along skyline drive going to the city of huntington.. then the first lake you come to on the right hand side will be huntington res.. go about a mile down the same road you will come to the Cleveland res.. and the turn off to millers flat, potters ponds, and Joe's Valley.. if you keep going past cleveland res the next lake on the left is the Dam end of E-lake.. there are more places to fish down that way but camping places can be alot harded to find down that way as well..
[signature]