Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sun 7/23 @ Jordanelle
Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. I've been monitoring this site for sometime now. I am impressed by your camraderie and the free exchange of info. here. Please keep up the good work and post those reports...good or bad! I will contribute as best I can as well.

I went to Jordanelle on Sunday. It was much nicer than the craziness I saw over at Deer Creek. It looked like a whirlpool with all the wakes! Wonder why people don't drive a few more miles to get to a place that is less crowded....oh well, let the wakeboarders and jetskiers have Deer Creek! Shhhhhhh....

This was my first time at Jordanelle, as I'm pretty new to Utah still. This lake very much reminded me of lakes I fished quite a bit in California. I launched my Fishcat 9 pontoon at Rock Cliffs around 5:30pm. It was still scorching, but at least the bugs stayed away until sundown. I had the itch for warmwater fishes, so I was targeting smallies this day. To put it bluntly the fishing plain sucked! I fished from 5:30pm-sundown with only one smallie and one perch for my efforts. The perch was actually bigger than the smallie and it hit a 4.5 inch Robo of all things. I worked from shore down to about 15-20 feet with Shad Raps, weedless jigs, gitzits, and Robo Worms. I had several bites, but I think they were mostly small perchies and juvenile smallies. I was fishing the Rock Cliffs area from the boat ramp to the bouy line. Needless to say, I left disappointed, but not defeated yet!

Given the short amount of time I had and the lack of electronics (not for long) on my pontoon, I decided to stick with what I know and fish visible cover. Was I fishing too shallow? What depth have you guys been nailing bass here? Or was it just a case of the summer doldrums setting in on the fish?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome to the board. I lived in California for quite a few years myself, and spent a lot of those years in the Sacramento area. Quite a few lakes in the hills that are similar in feel to Jordanelle. What ones did you have in mind?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry your first outing on Jordanelle was not stellar. It can be that way, even if you know the lake well. Like all lakes, it helps to fish it a few times, throughout the year, to get a feel for the structure and the way the fish behave under different conditions. Once you put together your personal database on the lake, and have your "go-to" spots and patterns, you will catch more fish more often.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the Rock Cliffs area there are quite a few choices of type of water, depth, etc. Sometimes the fish seem to be more partial to either the north or south side of that arm. Sometimes they are very shallow, over rocky rubble. Other times they hang deeper and/or right in the abundant sunken brush and trees. That lake eats lures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you suspect, having sonar will improve your odds too. If nothing else, it will tell you the right depth, at which the fish seem to be holding. At best, it will identify underwater structure that holds fish and let you make some vertical presentations. Drop shotting is a great tactic in Jordanelle, and is more effective if you fish where the fish are. You cain't ketch 'em where they ain't.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One thing you will find over time is that the water levels fluctuate a lot on Jordanelle and of course that dictates fish movement. Some spots fish well during higher water and then the fish go elsewhere when the water drops. But, once you learn the basics of the lake you can usually figure out a pattern...especially if you have electronics to give you underwater eyes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Maybe one of the BFT regulars on "Lake X" will hook up with you one of these days and download some inside info. We have lots of tubers and tooners on the board and many of us fish the RC area often. Otherwise, watch the boards and sometimes we post when we are planning a hit on an area, and ask if anybody else wants to join up. We're a friendly bunch.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
<<<<[cool][#0000ff]Welcome to the board. I lived in California for quite a few years myself, and spent a lot of those years in the Sacramento area. Quite a few lakes in the hills that are similar in feel to Jordanelle. What ones did you have in mind?[/#0000ff] >>>>
TubeDude, Thanks for the warm welcome. I won't give up so easily on this lake. I know I'll get into the fish once I learn the lake. Specifically, Jordanelle reminds me of a lake in the East Bay hills (Livermore, CA) called Del Valle Res. But so many other lakes in California have this appearance as most of the larger bodies of water are man-made canyon reservoirs. I am familiar with the Sacramento area. I lived for 20+ years in Fremont. Also spent several years in Chico, as well as Truckee, and San Diego. Reno was my last stop before here.

[#0000ff]<<<<Maybe one of the BFT regulars on "Lake X" will hook up with you one of these days and download some inside info. We have lots of tubers and tooners on the board and many of us fish the RC area often. Otherwise, watch the boards and sometimes we post when we are planning a hit on an area, and ask if anybody else wants to join up. We're a friendly bunch.>>>>[/#0000ff] [#0000ff][/#0000ff] I'd defintely be interested in tagging along with those in the know. I am a serious fishermen but like to have fun. I know my stuff but am no pro. There is always room for improvement. Not only that, I enjoy fishing with others moreso than by myself! [#0000ff][/#0000ff] [/reply]
[signature]
Wasatch801,
Welcome to the board. I've fished Del Valle many times before I relocating to Utah. Lots of good memories and good fish outa there. My brother caught a 9 lb bow trolling there one day.
[signature]
Hey Bigcat!

I have fond memories of Del Valle. I fished it from childhood to adulthood (I'm 33 now). Our biggest trout (caught by my buddy) was just over 7 pounds. I lived in Fremont. Where did you live then?
[signature]
I fished Del Valle while I lived in San Jose and then also when I lived in Elk Grove (south part of Sacramento). Lots of good memories there!
Lots better fishing here in Utah though and you will find out!
[signature]