Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on trolling rod holders
I am considering purchasing new trolling rod holders. I would like to be able to release the rod and set the hook in one motion (extremely helpful for sturgeon fishing), so I am considering the "RapidRelease" or similar type holders. I have read some reports on BFT about rods being launched out of these holders and going overboard, especially if the rod is left in the holder when the boat is being bounced around while going fast over rough water. Any advice on particular brands that any of you have used (good and bad) and where to purchase them? I am also interested in some flush mounts.
[signature]
Can't help you on the quick release rod holders but I bought my flush mounts from Bass Pro for around $7. Just drill a 1 & 1/4 inch hole and two pilot holes for the mount screws. I'll look up the number if your interested.
[signature]
I personally like the Quick release from Cabelas. They are nice and sturdy and fit with other mounts as well. Mine are gray in color.
[signature]
I've used Down East Rod Holders for years. They're designed to allow for release and hook set in one motion. They're made from aluminum and appear a bit "clunky", but work great. I guess a rod could be bounced out of the holder during a rough ride, but that can be alleviated by stowing the rods.

[url "http://www.down-east.com/"]http://www.down-east.com/[/url]
[signature]
I considered them, but it appears that they do not have a flush mount as an option.
[signature]
I use the quik-draw holders from Cabela's also.I have three on the boat ,and both downriggrs have the adaptors for the same rod holder.You can set the hook ,and release the pole all in one motion.
As for losing poles out of these holders,if you was running hard,and water was rough i guess it could happen.I always put my poles in my vertical holder's when running upon plane.I have never lost a pole while trolling,so they have worked great for me.
[signature]
[size 1]"and both downriggrs have the adaptors for the same rod holder"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]What brand and model of downriggers do you have that use the same base, and were you able to get the adaptors from Cabela's?[/size]
[signature]
Kent,both my downriggers are Cannon mini-mags.I ordered the adaptors from Cabela's about 5 years ago.I think they still have them ,but havent looked in awhile.You have to remove the rod holder tubes that come with the downrigger,and the adaptor slides inside where the tube was,tighten up the bolt and your ready.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Kent,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have and have used a number of different Rod Holders. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The Down Easters are made of metal and make a lot of noise(from engine and boat vibrations). When they are used properly, they are great ! However, there is a small learning curve involoved if you don't want to loose a rod - as I almost did a couple of times. Those holders have now become permently mounted on my pontoon boats frame. And as you noticed, they do not come in a flush mount.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The quick release holders Cabelas, Scotty, etc., are also good. All of them have some mechanism to secure the rod. When employed, it pretty much defeats the quick release function. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The best methods to insure that the rod does not go overboard, are to stow the rod, or attach a rod leash to the rod itself while it is in the holder. At least these are the techniques I use.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Hey Kent, I also have rod holders that fit into my downrigger mounts. I just got a 3in. piece of alm. angle and cut to fit in my downrigger mount and then I mounted the angle alm. to a piece of poly plastic that fits in my downrigger mounts, wait a minute I go outside and take a pic. ok I'm back, here take a look. later chuck
[signature]
Looks like you rigged it up nicely -- be careful, I think that TubeDude has the patent on all custom rigging on a watercraft. I would like to rig my Scotty Downriggers so that they will fit into a Cabela's, or similar, rod holder flush mount. It would have to be a solid connection, because I don't want to risk losing my downriggers.
[signature]