Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help Kokanee fishing Strawberry
My brother in law is in town from Chicago, and my father in law and I want to take him out on Strawberry next week to catch Kokanee. None of us have ever targeted them before, so we are looking for tips.

We have a boat, but no downrigger, no lead-core lines, no trolling poles. We just have spinning gear and related tackle. So, after talking with a guy at Cabelas who at least appeared to know what he was talking about, we picked up some Koke-a-Nuts and smelly jelly, and we are going to attempt the only way we think we have a chance, which is to try and find them and vertical jig for them.

Where is a good place on Strawberry to go? The narrows? Out from the main marina?

I assume we should be in about 60 feet of water, fishing about 30 - 40 feet deep, based on some recent reports.

So, where should we go, and what type of lures should we use?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Kevin
[signature]
Kevin,

I've only fished the Berry once thru the ice. So I'm not the one to ask for locations. However, I'm surprised that you were told to use Kok-A-Nuts for vertical jigging. These lures are, in my understanding, to be used behind a dodger or flasher while trolling. I would vertical jig for kokanee with tiny rubber jigs or spoons such as a Kastmaster, Swedish Pimple, and the like. In Cali, tipping your lures with corn was the deadly technique. However, I understand that corn is not legal in Utah. Also, guys used Mike's shrimp scent or similar product to attract the koks. Can a kokanee expert chime in here for Kev please?

Anotha Kevin [cool]
[signature]
Only time I've ever jigged for them is when the spawn is near or hardtop ice . I've jigged maraboo jigs and needlefish with success . For jigging try bright color spoons in 30 to 70 foot down over deeper water . Try jigging aggressively . You need to piss them off to get them to hit sometimes .
[signature]
A tip I picked up from SockeyeSlayer, use the rubber corn available at Sportsmans or Cabelas soaked for a few days (or weeks) in corn scented oil (Pro-Cure). This works well at the Gorge, sometimes the corn scent seals the deal when they won't bite anything else.
[signature]
koke-a-nuts are way too light to vertical jig! it never ceases to amaze me the advise some people give out! all well. save them for when you go trolling. they work great for that. the advise above is good. use castmasters, swedish pimples, etc. find them on the sonar and jig aggresively. if you can find them you should be able to get them to strike. good luck, and let us know how you do!
[signature]
Thanks for the tips, guys! Good thing I asked! They did say to use a weight, such as a kastmaster, to get it down faster (either taking off the hook or leaving it on) and tying it inline a few feet above the hook.

We'll let you know how we do.

Thanks again.

Kevin
[signature]