Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington 7-26-06
[cool][#0000ff]Wednesday was TubeBabe's birthday (don't ask...don't tell). She is an old (whoops) Sanpete County girl and has always has a fondness for Fairview Canyon area. So, we hit the road early for Huntington Lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Launched the tubes about 7 AM. Air temp of 55 degrees sure felt good after those 100 plus days in the valley. Water temp was 68. Water level was full to the brim. Green, green, green everywhere, with lots of wild flowers. Only downer was all the brown pines. I guess the bark beetles got to them during the drought. Spoiled a pretty picture.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of fish rising. No big ones though. Just tiddlers to ten inchers. High surface temps probably got the bigger fish deeper. Didn't see many larger fish on sonar though. But, I went across the lake at about the mid point and then up toward the inlet. I'm guessing the larger fish were nearer the dam.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My sonar showed 50 feet in the deepest part of the channel, across from where we launched. Saw fish at 10-12 feet in several areas, but mostly small to midsized. I did see a few larger fish on the bottom in 25 to 30 feet, but they had lockjaw to vertical presentations...lures, worms, minnows...zip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Didn't bring flies. Probably could have caught a lot of small fish if we had. We got hits on spinners, small plastics and small jigs. TubeBabe was unable to bring anything to the tube. Not a very nice way for Huntington to treat her on her birthday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I only scratched out about 4 small tigers. Two on pieces of worm, one on a spinner and one on a tiny jig. None of them was over 10 inches. They still have their silvery summer colors. I will be back in the fall for some "false spawn" color pics (they are sterile hybrids).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We had the whole lake to ourselves until just before we left for E-Lake around 11. Well, not quite to ourselves. There were deer grazing next to shore in several places and several noisy ravens. When we drove away, there were three other tubers/tooners on the lake. Hope they did better than we did.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Happy Birthday T/B!

Hey Pat good to see you two made it up there. Btw, belated Happy Birthday ol' buddy.. I think those tiggies take after their relatives to much at times. Theres days they wont miss a drop yet other days a person can beat them on the heads with the offerings and still be ignored. Strangely that reminds me of something!
In any case, I'm glad you two found the pond full and so overly crowded!
[signature]
Hope you had a great birthday yesterday Tubebabe.
Sounds like a nice way to start off a day with some cool temps, too bad the fish did not reward you guys with a few more on such a fine day. Thanks for sharing your report Pat.
[signature]
Happy B-Day TB, and thanks for the report. Sorry the fish didn't treat you guys any better. [Tongue]
[signature]
Just for kicks, next trip try a buzz bomb and jig it hard, close to the bottom. My tip for the day.
[signature]
Happy B-day TB![Smile] Don'y feel too bad, i was skunked yesterday and plowed a 2-point buck with my truck at 45 mph.
[signature]
[Smile]Thanks, everyone, for the BD wishes! It was a bummer being skunked, but the scenery was beautiful ... and I had a few good "old memories" stirred up. In my youth, our extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandpa, etc) would spend a couple of weeks camped in the area every summer ... of course, it was a little different then, but I do remember some of the spots!
[signature]
Tubebabe.....I didn't know you were from Sanpete county, I visit that way a few times a year. I have family in Spring City, I really enjoy it down there!
[signature]
[Smile]Small world isn't it? I was born in Spring City, but don't have any living relatives there now. I used to spend all of my summers with my grandparents in Spring City. I have an aunt still in Mt. Pleasant and a cousin in Ephraim. I love to go down and drive around occasionally!
[signature]
My family is Gene and Gina Garner. They live in the big Yellow house just inside town, the house looks pretty out of place there. Looks like a villa in Italy or something.
[signature]
You know TD I really look forward to your posts. You always have pics, and a great story to tell. It is always a treat to catch your posts of your adventures. Happy B-day TB.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Appreciate your appreciation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I try to report what I would like to see and hear myself. Even if I am not going to fish the place in the report, it is good to know the general conditions...and how they affected the fishing. All that stuff can be filed in the mental database and may come in handy somewhere down the line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have always enjoyed recording my trips with a camera. Selfishly, I mostly take the pics for my own review and enjoyment later. But, since others seem to like pics too, I am happy to share them. Sometimes capturing a particular point pictorially (has a ring to it) can make the explanations easier. I truly believe in the thousand words thing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Man! Just think how long your reports would be if you didn't include so many pictures. (I do enjoy your reports and pictures. I get to go fishing vicariously with you, which is great since I don't get to go nearly often enough.)
[signature]