Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle Provo
Always good to throw in an occasional river report. Fished the Middle Provo on Thursday. I have never seen so many people on that river. If it keeps up like that, we'll have to call ahead for reservations.

The river is recovering nicely in many areas and I saw quite a few decent fish. Only fished for about a half hour and hooked 3. Two were nice 15 inch browns that were very healthy, good fighters. All taken on a deer hair caddis, although the late evening caddis hatch never really materialized.
[signature]
Wow, that makes me think back about that section or river. I used to fish that section 28 years ago. back then, it was called the upper. the avrege fish was 20in. and we would always get 1 over 25 and lost sevrel over 30in. that was when no one fished it unless they had permission, I did. thanks for the update on that section.
later chuck
[signature]
thanx for the report. chucks right the average fish was alot bigger than now... the dwr ruined it when they went threw.... it used to have big deep holes and big undercut banks dead trees all the good stuff for bigger fish. now its just a bunch of riples. for the fly guys.
[signature]
Baetis, I know what you mean. My dad and I were there Thursday as well and we couldn't remember when we had seen so many people. We managed to catch a few fish but nothing over 12 inches. It was by far the worst fishing day we've seen up there this year. My dad and I just started fishing the Middle Provo back in May and we were wondering if it always gets this crowded this time of year. I mean we got out on the water at 8am and could hardly find a spot we liked that wasn't on top of someone else.
[signature]
The only time I fish the MP is during winter. Otherwise, its combat fishing. I was there last summer, hooked a fish, and some dude just walked right in front of me and started fishing my hole. I'd rather get skunked on the Weber than deal with that shit on the MP.
[inline "Jason in the fog 1.jpg"]
[signature]