Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 7-29-06
Fished the berry today with FishingPro40,BrittHunter & Brady,sorry Brady I forgot your user name. [blush]. Fished the ladders area first,FishingPro and Brady was doing very well myself and Britthunter struggled. The wind picked up about 11 O'clock and the waves got too big so we relocated to the knolls where we got a little protection. The fishing was not as good at the Knolls but we did pick up afew. Headed back over to the ladders when the wind died down but never could get back into them like we did in the morning. About 4 O'clock we went scouting, never did find a good school but did pick up a couple more at Mosquito Bay and called it a day at 5 O'clock when the wind stared kicking up 3' waves. The catching was a little under par today picking up about 5 dozen with FishingPro40 catching over 1/3 of them, 4 where over the slot the biggest was a 23.5" cutt, all fish where caught vertical jigging. FishingPro also caught a cutt-bow that was 22.5" & 4.5 pounds (see photo) its amazing how much they look and fight like a true rainbow but it did have the orange slashes under its neck. This fish broke water a couple times and would dive right back to the bottom, it was one heck of a fight.
[signature]
ok you guys suck... the wife and I fished for about four hours today... we went just east of the ladders on the overlook... got on the water about 4:30....the wind blew us about a half mile out from shore to the south and then we caught one... and then the wind reversed directions and blew us about quarter mile north... almost to the ladders... my wife is so light she had a hard time kicking against the wind... it was a long hike back to the truck with the toons... I wish she would have caught one but all in all it was still a great day... you guys definately have the berry nailed... congrats on the good day
[signature]
We had just left the ladders 20 minutes before the wind changed direction. That was one heck of a wind and the waves gained some momentum by the time they made it to the oppisite side of the lake. Thats where we went. I took on a couple waves from behind and a couple over the bow. It took 15 minutes for the bildge to pump out all of the water. When I was heading back to the marina BrittHunter and Brady where in the bow, I couldn't get the front of the boat raise up in time and they took two waves down their back. Sorry guys. HA HA HA.
[signature]
Whats the deal on the cutbows in the berry? I have caught several bigguns that have the colors like that fish but also have the slashes under the jaw. In fact the biggest fish I have caught (25 in) out of the berry was drop dead beautiful with tons of slashes under the jaw. I was assuming they were cutbows until I asked a biologist at the dock one day if there were cutbows in berry and he said no - they had not even gill netted one since the big poison. I guess some of the rainbows they stock are not really sterile [Wink] By far the prettiest fish I have caught there are the bigger bows with cutthroat markings! I wish I had a pic of that fish but I forgot the camera that day.
[signature]
Nice Report . Nice Bow Fishingpro . I'd still call that fish a bow over some I've seen . Most of all the bows I catch in Utah will have a little slash under the jaw at many waters . Every bow I have pulled out of scofield will have that slash on them . They definitely fight better than any cutt there in my eyes .
[signature]
Great report. Sorry the W didn't cooperate with you guys today. What a beautiful fish.
[signature]
Everyone has their own opinion about what a cuttbow realy is. I have also been told they are not in the berry. To some a cutt with just a slight coloring of a bow would be considerd a cuttbow. To others it would be more like the one in the photo. And some would say the bow in the photo is not a cuttbow. I would say a cuttbow is more like the one in the photo. If you kept one under 22" I bet you would recieve a ticket for possesion of a cutt in the slot limit.
[signature]
Other than the wind, it sounds like a decent day up on the big Berry. That fish, cuttbow or not, sure is pretty. You can say that technically it is a cuttbow because of the orange under the Tongue, so if it was in the slot, it would need to go back.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have caught rainbows all over the country and have taken many that had similar markings...even when there was no possible interaction with any cutthroats. I'm guessing that even pure rainbows can exhibit the occasional orange slash under the gills.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have forwarded a link to your post, with pic, to Drew Cushing of DWR for his review and input. Hopefully he can offer some insight here. I would hate for anyone to get a ticket for keeping a cutt hybrid within the slot, but it should not be necessary to release a nice rainbow either, just because it is wearing "makeup".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would be interested in Drew Cushing's comment on this. When you are looking at a $100.00 fine for keeping a fish that has cutthroat markings on it I wouldn't think twice about letting it go if it where in the slot.

Thanks for forwarding it to the DWR.
[signature]
I'll vote with TubeDude. That's a bow in the picture. If you were to clean that fish in the same way that I would, there would be no doubt that is was a rainbow. Maybe PBH would have a different opinion. You'd need to check the Tongue and gill rakers to be sure. But when I clean a fish, those parts are removed. I have released lots of bows up there, but not for the worry that they were cutts, or cuttbows. I'd think that the DWR would want cuttbows taken out of the gene pool. If they are already part rainbow, and are able to spawn, they'll "pollute" the gene pool even futher with every spawning season.

Fishrmn
Hey Mike , how do you know what the fine is ? You been partaking some mykiss on the grill ? [Tongue]
[signature]
Very funny Randy. You know I am a law- abiding fisherman. The guy that patrols the parking lot told me.

When he was giving you a writen notice to pay the $4.00 I got in a conversation with him about it.
[signature]
Yeah thanks for the bath. All in all is was good times glad i was able to meet you and fishinpro40 you are great fisherman an class act guys to be around.
[signature]
MGB - Beautiful fish! 2 of us hit Strawberry Friday as well, and we had a heck of a day. Fast fishing for us for 5+ hours in and around Mud Creek Bay.
Gotta get back up there!
[signature]
Nice report and nice fish. Feels kind of funny that I didn't hit Strawberry this weekend like the past two. I just got back from Starvation. I took the family up there and we camped over a couple nights and had a blast. We were going to go up to E Lake but someone mentioned a bear sighting up there so I quickly chickened out.

I used the same technique you taught me for vertical jigging at strawberry. It paid off, we used lots of different jigs and it was a blast. We landed a good deal of smallies and tons of perch.

Hmm didn't mean to derail the thread about that cutt-bow but I would sure release it. Even if it is a pure genetic rainbow with a miraculous orange streak, it still has the appearance of a cutt!

Look forward to seeing what the dwr will tell us on this one though.

Hopefully I can catch up again with you sometime Mike, it's been a great experience the past few weeks.

PS I promise I won't set the hook so hard next time....
[signature]
It was another good day at the Berry. It was really nice to meet you britthunter. There are not many days that I have out caught MGB as a matter of fact we have fished alot together over the last year or so and I think it was the first time. but its only because Mike is such a great teacher.
[signature]