Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Trip to a Close Lake
Still watching for new ways to set up a successful trip for the grandkids, I had a few hours remaining on my non-vacation so I threw my tube into the trunk, jumped into the jalopy, and headed out to a small lake (65 acres) I just learned about. Only a short 50 miles from home. I got on the water about 11 AM. No motors allowed so the only other traffic was rowboats and kayaks. No tubers. I hadn't kicked 20 feet before a small trout climbed all over my Midnight Fire Bugger that I was dragging out the back. This was repeated enough times to establish that this would be a great place to bring the kids and their tubes. Lots of hungry planters. I switched over to jigs about 12 feet under an indicator and finished out my total for the day - 24 trout. Easy pickings. I was off the water by 2:30 PM. All trout were 9-11 inches so I didn't take any fish pics. Sorry. I did get a little green scenery - just because I could...

[inline carmen-2.jpg]

[inline carmen-1.jpg]

[inline carmen-3.jpg]

[inline carmen-4.jpg]

It was an interesting trip. On the way up the canyon I was passed by a car with two lit up County Sherriffs in hot pursuit. Must have been traveling 90-100 mph. I barely managed to get to the side of the twisty two-lane without being rear ended.

When I arrived at the lake I witnessed a father (presumably) yelling at his kid (maybe 8 years old) when the boy missed a strike because he didn't set the hook. The guy had a real anger problem. A very bad move on his part. The kid cried for a good 10 minutes. Amid his sobs were the words, heard across the surface of the lake, "I never want to go fishing again!" I wanted to go over and give the guy a piece of my mind but discretion prevailed and I kept my mouth shut. Poor kid. Stupid dad. He'll regret that someday.

Then as I was going home I went around one of the curves in the two-lane again coming back down the mountain and came upon a car/motorcycle accident. State patrol had just put out flares. The biker had laid his ride down onto its side and slid right up underneath the Toyota SUV. Handlebars were completely torn off. He seemed to be OK. Sheesh! What's next?

I understand this lake is a good winter flyfishing spot for brookies, cutties, and holdover rainbows. I caught one brook and once cutt in the mix today. Hope to go back with the kids.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like a good therapy session. Didn't completely cure the patient but started on the road to recovery anyway.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also sounds like an eventful day. Glad you were only a witness and not part of the excitement. If you had chosen to confront the demented dad, it could have been different. Sorry, but I would not have had the forebearance you showed. I am big, mean and have a low threshold of tolerance when I see something like that. Throughout the years I have talked to too many people that have a distaste for fishing simply because their first experiences were so negative.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good for you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]