Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off Shore Pacific Ocean Report
I am back from my vacation to the north coast of California. I went out on a charter boat from Noyo Harbor (Fort Bragg) for rock fish. The seas were relatively calm but still ran about 7' or 8'. That was enough to get quite a few people involuntarily chumming over the side rails. Oh well....it makes the fishing better some say!

Fishing was lots of fun and I was catching WAY more fish than lots of other people. The coolest thing is that you never know what will bite your jig. We fished mostly around 130' to 180' deep. I ended up with quite a mixed bag including vermillions,china's,sea trout,kelp ling and a few others. Best catch of the day was a nice Ling Cod. He went about 12 lbs. Sorry about the crappy picture.

Cool things I saw....

A large ling cod barfed up an octopus on the deck.
I caught (and released[angelic]) three sea cucumbers. (weird)

Two whales. (I gotta catch one of those someday!)

A Texan that was puking his guts out every 10-15 minutes and never even quit fishing. He even puked a couple times while he reeled fish up.
That guy was cool.
[signature]
Cool report and pic. Thanks.

That Texan sounds like a die-hard. Made me laugh to think of him "refunding" while crankin' on his reel.
[signature]
Nice Report, sounds like a blast! Those Ling Cod are scary creatures. They've got to be one of the most vicious fish of the sea. I was fishing in Washington one time, and was reeling in about a 3 pound rock bass, when a HUGE Ling Cod came out of nowhere and slammed him down. I watched the whole thing right in front of me. He also broke my line right off. They've got some of the narliest teeth, and they put up quite a fight!

thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Wow! I've fished out of Noyo several ties too. Which charter did you go with? In the past we've gone on the Rumblefish, lady Iirma and others. Sounds like a great time. What i really miss is the diving though. Thanks for sharing
[signature]
Nice report. I'm glad to see you had a good time in Cali. Let me know when you plan on coming back and maybe venturing a little further south into my territory. I'll be glad to show you some of the ropes down here.[cool]
[signature]
I went out on the Lady Irma II. It really was fun. I've been out for salmon out of Noyo before but I can't remember the name of the boat.
I REALLY want to go out for albacore tuna one of these times. I think that would be a kick!
[signature]