Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing for Rubber Trout
I got out yesterday for the latter part of the day with my daughter and three grandkids. Took in a new (to me) put 'n' take lake fairly close to home known for its hoards of (hatchery planters) rubber trout with an occasional surplus steelhead captured and transported from hatchery ponds on the McKenzie River. Fish were cooperative. I and my grandson caught a bunch that were 9-11 inches long. Here's a representative of the many we caught and released.

[inline rubbertrout.jpg]

The grandson has reached the age where he can fish off by himself without much adult supervision. He was in fine form with his own fly rod, ODC, waders, fins, etc., hooking fish left and right (he's left handed but hasn't decided whether he does better fly fishing with his right or left hand.)

Here's a happy kid.
[inline matt-1.jpg]

Deadly serious concentration.

[inline Matt-5.jpg]

Fish on!

[inline matt-3.jpg]

[inline matt-6.jpg]

His brother and sister will probably soon be in on the act. (Guess that means I'll have to buy more float tubes.)

[inline aabc-1.jpg]

[inline aabcc-2.jpg]

I was so busy taking kid photos that I forgot to photograph some of the beautiful emerald scenery of this upper McKenzie River power generation lake. Here's one with a little more background.

[inline matt-7.jpg]

I finished out my part of the fishing day by briefly hooking one of the big transplanted steelies. Just dumb luck that I did so. Right place at the right moment. It slammed my trolled Cascade Special, immediately jumped clear of the water, and as I struggled to pick up the momentarily slack line, my barbless hook popped out. Probably an 8-10 pounder as that is generally the size of the McKenzie metalheads. No photo, except the one etched in my brain. It was a nice fish for a lake like this.

Nothing like a few hours on the water to sweep the cobwebs out of the brain.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]This post should be "PG" rated (Proud Grandpa).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Great stuff and nice pics. Good therapy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]