Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Addiction
Hit the S. Fork (Ogden River) Saturday night. Got up and flinging fur about 7:30 at our honey hole. Nothing. Nada. Tried top, middle, bottom. Very disappointing. So we move to an area we had never fished and started again. It wasn't long before we could see fish feeding on emergers (I really need to tie some sparkle caddis emergers). We casted to them nothing. Then like a switch at about 8:55 surface action turned on. I tied on a size 16 cream x-caddis and the fun was on. I got my first within three casts (nice fat 14 inch brown) and it just got better. I was so dark I couldn't see my fly, only knew about where it was from my fly line. When a fish rose in the area (ok they were not rising, there were smashing the surface) I would set the hook and hold on.

Night fishing with a dry fly. I love it.

katghoti
[signature]
Been there done that! I fished a 2 month(i fished it for 2 month's straight) caddis hatch in Mt Green on the weber quite a few years ago. I would start at dusk or a little before and fish for a couple hours in total darkness. I set the hook by sound. The only problem was checking your line and fly constantly with a flashlight.
[signature]
Try the head light or the head band that holds a mini mag.
I use them when fishing Willard at night. They both work great!
[signature]
are you flyfishing willard at night. I'd love to do that
[signature]
Yes I flyfish in the evenings for Wipers.
I take both spinning and fly rods with me. Both ways can be very productive. I had a sore sholder one night and just used the spin cast while my son used his fly rod. Score was 6 for him and 1 for me!
White Zonkers were the best flies with White Flash Buggers a close second. Sinking line is a must.
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][black][size 3]Putting the red gels on the headlamps (Petzel has a kit of green yellow and red gels) seems to not scare the fish as bad. Specially when fishing rivers.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]