Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caddis Emerger Pattern
All,

I lit into a great caddis hatch on the S. Fork of the Ogden River Saturday night and had a great time dry fly fishing in the dark. However, my time would have been even better if I had a good caddis emerge to use prior. We could see the browns taking emergers but alas I had nothing to use. So, I am asking, what is your favorite caddis emerger (I am looking at the sparkle caddis) to use. They were hitting my size 16 cream x-caddis with such force it was awsome. Any patterns, especially those that work on the S. Fork of the Ogden would be great (pictures are welcome). PM me if needed.

Katghoti
[signature]
I have had some good success with a Caddis or Stimulator on top and dropping a small cream caddis larva below it.
I tie mine with a size 18 or 20 scud hook and use cream colored thread or yarn for the body and a small peacock hurl head. No tail needed.
[signature]
I am no caddis expert by any means, but I have always had success with an emerger that is tied similar to any dry that is working, only more sparse. For example, if an elk hair caddis with a grey body is working, chances are, a sparsely tied fly similarly will work: a grey body, with short elk hair or partridge hair will work. In fact, often I will take a dry fly and trim it down and sink it, and that will work. I get real simple with caddis emergers: some dubbing to match the color for the body, and some short elk hair or partridge feathers coming out of the head. Also, it is good to use a beadhead of some kind - often caddis emergers will form a bubble around their head or body, and the beadhead kind of imitates that; hence the reason the LaFontaine sparkle caddis sometimes works: it looks like it is encased in a bubble. I have found that a simple beadhead does the trick and is much easier to tie than the bubble of the sparkle caddis.

Good luck.
[signature]

This is my favorite. In green is killer right now. Check out this:
[url "http://www.virtualflybox.com/patterns/pattern.php?swap_id=18&id=97"]http://www.virtualflybox.com/patterns/pattern.php?swap_id=18&id=97[/url]

[Image: getimage.php?id=97]
[signature]