Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to catch Grayling?
[sly] I'm looking for a day trip for grayling. I'm looking to leave salt lake, hike in, fish, hike out all in one day. Suggestions?
[signature]
Uintas -- Round, Sand and Fish Lakes, or Marjorie Lake.
[signature]
[reply]
Uintas -- Round, Sand and Fish Lakes, or Marjorie Lake. [/reply]
I've heard Marjorie is a fairly easy 2 mile hike....how do I get to that one?
[signature]
Unfortunately I can't help you there. I have never been to the lakes that I suggested, but several people here on BFT have.
[signature]
The trail to Marjorie starts at the Crystal Lake trail head which is on the mirror lake highway. From the trail head you will go west and jusgt follow the main trail and watch the signs they will lead you to Marjorie, even check out long lake, and weir along the way. Get a map of the area or a GPS will also help.

Just a note of interest: The family and I hiked to Whiskey Island which also is supposed to have grayling and we did not get a bite or even see a fish rise. The hike was a bugger and the last 500 yrds was a boulder field. So stay clear of this one unless you want to see a big bull moose.
[signature]
The hike in to Marjorie is an easy day hike. I fished there three weeks ago and caught a lot on a renegade behind a bubble. Take a camera, the country up there great.
[signature]
Marjories fishes well. I've taken grayling out of Weir in years past, though not in great numbers. I caught two in Washington Lake last summer! They are not supposed to be there. I whipped out the USGS map in an effort to find a water route between Marjorie and Washington and there isn't one I know of.

Fished Round, Sand, and Fish last week. It's a tough hike. But this area did not disappoint.
[signature]
I'm in good shape, but a couple friends that I want to go with me probably aren't up to a strenuous hike. Sounds like Marjorie is the place for us. I'll have to find the map for that area. Unfortunately, it'll be labor day weekend, but I think it will be my last chance to try it, as I move to VA in Jan.....
[signature]
I've gone into Marjorie as late as late-Oct there. It's accessible until the first deep snow (more that 8-10 inches), at least for me. It's not too bad of a hike - only one medium-sized climb skirting around the north side of Haystack Mountain. There's so much good water around there!
[signature]