Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the PVC tubing for the rod holder...
Diameter that u have on your tube? Mine is 1and 1/4 diameter, looks kinda big?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have several different styles of rod holders. I use 1" SCHEDULE 20 PVC for the rod holder part. Don't use the heavier schedule 40. The walls are thicker and they will not hold most rod handles. The schedule 20 has the same outside diameter, so it works with standard 1" PVC fittings. But, it is lighter and thinner. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have used the 1 1/4" schedule 40 PVC in the past and the tubes are large enough for almost any rod, but that stuff is heavy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Tubedude:
How do you get those nice, pretty notches at the top of your rod holders? Mine aren't nearly as refined.

BTW, I cut the bottoms of the 90* ends to accomodate long handle reels, and also switched my nuts to wing nuts, so that I can take mine off without tools.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No magic...no smoke and mirrors. I use my little "rotary tool" (Dremel) with a 1/2" drum sanding disc. It eats right down into the PVC like butter and you can make quick grooves as deep or wide as you want. (see pic)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only downside of spending too much time grinding PVC is that you end up looking like the abominable snowman...covered with PVC dust.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You have some different options and applications with the toon than I do with a tube. The wing nuts are a good idea. I have used that concept before. Saves looking for a tool when you don't have one handy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Find those at any lumber and hardware stores? Not sure if I have seen them used for electric?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is a standard item in the plumbing department of most big building supply places, like Home Depot and Lowes. However, not all places carry the schedule 20 stuff. You might have to look harder to find it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Lowes was the only place I could find the schedule 20, home depot only had the schedule 40.
[signature]
Lowes is opening up closer to us so would check in and see. Learned from you guys about 20 40 thing. Thanks!
The one I made is nice but I want it smaller in front of me instead of a BIG pipe running across...
I'm going to check it out to see how strong it feels.
[signature]
Can't seem to find that 20 on the website or those 40's at Menard's website or others...how do u find it? If I can find it and I can ask first before driving all over....
[signature]
No luck trying to find it on the Internet. This morning I asked my wife let's eat breakfast over there at the Pancake house so after that we can stop at Lowe's on the way home. It was a brand new store just opened. Nice store and shopped around. I got to the plumbing dept and looked for those 20 PVC tubing and fittings. Nope they didn't have them along with the waste piping and fittings, all they had was those 40. Walked a little more down the ally and came to the water piping and noticed one tube that was smaller than those in drain dept and found it was for drinking water piping and I found the fittings that fits it. Pretty sure those are what you guys were talking about and got the stuff I need. Tonight I got time to play with my toys and test the rod handles to be sure it fits those tubes. Fits just very close. Only one handle was pretty tight but goes in and out pretty well. Made it just like the first one I did as it was easier to put it on the tube. And noticed the lightness of the new one. Tried to make three rod holders but it didn't seem to work for me so two is good enough for me for now.
[signature]
Go to the sprinkler section of any Home Depot or Lowes. It will be there. Or least that is wehre i got some? I accidetly bought a 100 ft of 20 when i waws putting in my Sprinkler system this spring. To bad it is 3/4" or it would go to good use.

Matt
[signature]