Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRO-ANGLER?
Anyone know anything about the new portable PRO-ANGLER fishfinder?

-ABT-
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have no firsthand knowledge on THIS portable unit, but I have bought, tried and returned several others. They just do not do what I want for tubing.[/#0000ff]
[Image: proangler-jb4293.jpg]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This is a pic of the Pro-Angler. About all it gives you are fishy icons. A decent sonar for tubing shows bottom structure and contour, and has options for fish display...besides the little fishies. I also have temperature readings on my sonar and would not want to use a unit (like this one) without a temperature guage.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The cable thing is also a nuisance for tubing. There are enough things to tangle and take up room in your pockets without adding more transducer cable. Much better to have a well mounted sonar that continuously displays all you need to know, hands free, with more details and less fuss.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With a list price around a hundred dollars, it is no bargain for what it does/does not do.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanx for the prompt response TD. After doing more research on it I have decided the chances are good that it's junk.
I have been shopping around for a while as I am going to need one for when my wife and I come to Utah on th3 25ht of August. Those lakes are too big and too deep for instinctive fishing alone.
Anyway, I decided on the Hummingbird PiranhaMAX 15 and made the purchase.

-ABT-
[signature]
What are your thoughts on the fishin' buddy[/url]" series? [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602025&rid=&indexId=cat602011&navAction=push&navCount=4&parentType=index&parentId=cat602011&id=0012236"]LINK TO PAGE[/url]
[Image: p012236hz11.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think they definitely have a place for tubers and tooners. They are especially good for fishing shallow waters, where you have more need for "side finding" than for deep jigging.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After that, it is more a matter of personal preferences in features and options.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Jason,

As an owner of one of the older model Buddys (Buddy II) I like their easy mount and portability. No wires, no batteries to charge (mine runs a long time on three alkaline "C" batteries), easy on and off. The sidefinder really helps when fish are shallow and suspended or cruising around, which is a common thing with the kind of fishing I frequently do.

The drawback is the 9 degree cone angle on all but one of their models. They just don't give much bottom coverage - especially in shallower water. The new 4200 doubles the cone angle to 18 degrees, but this is still less than many suitable models from other companies.

One more drawback is that the transducer at the end hangs down over a foot into the water when mounted on a float tube so you must add that distance to whatever the depth shown on the screen is to get an accurate depth reading.

I use it primarily for three things:

1. To keep an eye on depth.
2. To keep an eye on surface temperature.
3. To spot cruising, shallow fish.

If you're actually looking down for fish you'll not see many unless you're in deep water.

I use mine often and it has served me well. I'm just not sure that its the best option for different types of fishing.

I've been looking at the 4200, but it costs about $225. There are many other brands to consider at that price.

z~
[signature]
I agree with Zonker. My Hubby had the older one and the fish readings are way off. In fact he used it for bottom structure only cause that is all he could get. I took it up to the Lodge I work at so we can get the depth of the 8 lakes on the property.
Can't say for the newer models, but the older just was not good for detecting fish. Like Zonker said the cone radious is just too small.
[signature]