Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine 08/11/06
Wiperslayer and I fished Porcupine today, we boated 17 kokes and lost many more before we could get them to the boat. I was amazed how many we were marking, in some areas they were stacked from 30 to 70 ft deep and they covered the screen. Water temp was 69 degrees when we arrived at 8:30am and it warmed up to 70 before we left at 3:30.
It was a nice day up there until the afternoon when the outside temps started to climb. Too bad the season closes for them on the 15th. We caught them from 30 to 60 ft deep and we were trolling from 1.5 to 2.1 mph but 1.7 MPH(GPS speed) seemed to be the best speed. Can you say piece and quite, sure is nice up there, we only saw 3 other boats. The largest kokes were a little over 13 inches and starting to change color the smaller ones are still silver. WH2
[signature]
By the looks/sound of things, you guys really had a nice day up there. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
-what lures where you using?
[signature]
WH2 - Glad to hear someone else had good luck there.I posted numerous times about the good fishing I was having and did not get a single response!I have been fishing up there quite a bit also and like you was amazed at the amount of fish I was marking.Remember,you can still take Kokanee out of Porcupine after the 15th as long as there is no red coloring on them.Problem is that most of the ones that don't change are dinky. I too was losing a lot of fish until I changed the hooks on the lures with Gamakatsu laser sharp hooks.After that, I maybe only lost 1 out of 10
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] Hey Wiperhunter2, did you have any trouble with the launch ramp? What condition is it in?[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Just about the same thing you and Dan were using at EC, we caught them on criplures, humdinger, wedding rings, we were using them behind a doger or a sling blade.
[signature]
you should try some of my home made squids i think they would be killer up there. im going to try and get up to the pig next weekend
[signature]
You need a 4x4 because of the rough road but other than that, it's not bad at all, nice hard dirt and rock launch. Here is a picture, not very close but you can get the idea.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] I only ask, because I was talking to a guy at work that was telling me that the ramp there was really crap. I think he is spoiled by using paved ramps. It still good to me, looks like the water level has dropped about 10 ft or so.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Sounds like your squid lures could be just the ticket for those kokanee. Like Waldocod said, you won't be able to keep any of the larger kokes next weekend but they are still fun to catch, good fighters for small fish. I've been wanting to get up to the pig all year, I wish I had done it sooner now, compared to all the other lakes around here it is sure nice to get on one with few people on it. We were trying to catch a couple of limits of kokanee or we would have tried for some trout. We saw a really nice bow at the shore line chasing minnows and in years past, I have seen some big browns doing the same thing.
[signature]
not worried about that i dont keep fish anyway
[signature]
It's good to know the "ramp" is in good shape now.When they were releasing a lot of water,it was a mucky mess cuz it didn't have time to dry out.The other launch area past the creek was full of rusty nails last week,probably from all the pallets that are burned for firewood.
[signature]
Hey, Curt, do you always take pictures showing your rod bending? Were you reeling in or snagged at the time?[cool]
[signature]
Looks like he is hooked to a down rigger to me.
[signature]
I was reeling in a twenty pounder[Wink], no really it's just like DKSR said, those downriggers can really put a bend in your rod. I felt like we were fishing at the Gorge because we were marking some huge fish on the bottom and they were right below the kokanee, just like the macks do when the are feeding on them. I bet some of those fish we were marking were at least twenty pounds. I'm not sure if Porcupine has splake in it but I know it has some huge browns, I might try some jigs the next time I head up there. WH2
[signature]
whens the next time your planning on heading up there?
[signature]
You guys are getting me hyped. Wednesday morning will probably find me at the Pig.

Is that an electric motor only pond? I've only driven up there once and there was eight or ten inches of snow. I took the road to the left and drove around the edge of the hill 'till I came to a creek dumping into the res. Looked like a good turn around spot so I did. Didn't see any ramp.
[signature]
ill be up there on thursday morning. it is a wakeless lake you can have as big of motor as you want just wakeless speeds
[signature]
I may wait till thursday just so I can see yer purty face. You're probably lonely for the Yankee anyway.
[signature]
I was thinking about heading up there the end of Sept when they open it up again for the kokes but I haven't made any solid plans yet.
[signature]