Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Mantua experience!
So… we caught fish… woohoo! But we didn’t do anywhere near as well as scrollfish did. Ah well. It was good times! We spent Saturday morning and evening and Sunday morning and afternoon fishing. All and all we caught over a dozen between the two of us (we could have caught a million smallies if we wanted to but we were trying to get something a bit bigger.) All we managed to nab was perch and bluegill (and despite the warning one of them got me and… made me bleed… blasted bugger I was just trying to get him back in the water.) Overall we had a great time and learned a thing or two (or many things or two considering we’ve both only been fishing once and it was years ago.) Unfortunately we didn’t catch anything worth cooking so we’ll have to use those great cooking tips later.

So we have some new questions… (We got the advice to buy “fishing for dummies” so until we get it I’ll ask you guys)

How in the world do you keep the stupid worm on? Ours were bitten off who knows how many times (we took the advice of using smaller pieces of worm. We used about a third of a worm a cast.)

And… where is a good spot to go fishing that is within an hour’s drive of salt lake. We want to go out Saturday morning but aren’t sure where the best place would be.
[inline blastedfish.jpg]
(p.s. My husband just really likes making faces on camera.)
[inline mant1.jpg]
[signature]
nice report and pictures. looks like you guys had a great time.
good for ya.
you could go to rockport, east canyon, jordanelle, deer creek, echo .
good luck to you wherever you go. [cool]
[signature]
looks like you guys have a good time, small fish are better then no fish[Wink]
[signature]
[size 1]"How in the world do you keep the stupid worm on?"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]This was probably caused from fish that were too small to get hooked. You may have also been using hooks that were too large for the size of the fish that were biting.[/size]
[signature]
You could try Silver lake at Brighton or the Lakes in American Fork Canyon. They have planter rainbows or small brookies. But they can be fun. It won't be as fast as the bluegill. But it can still be fun.
[signature]
Them little fish you where catching can take a worm off your hook so easy,You dont look like you had to big of hooks,They are just really quick,I dont know if you can use perch meat in mantua but if you want to use it at Jordanell or deer creek you can,You can catch one of them little buggers and fillet both side off and leave the skin on,Cut them into strips about a 1/2 inch wide and 1 inch long.Hook it thru the meat and the skin,You will be able to catch alot more fish on that one piece of meat.and usally bigger fish.
I have caught trout,perch,walleye.on perch meat it works great.
keep having fun you two.
Later,fnf[cool]
[signature]
Perch meat... interesting. We were toying with the idea of throwing the smallest fish we caught back in as bait and seeing what we caught... we came to the conclusion the hook wouldn't hook anything big enough to grab the smallie...

We'll have to play with perch meat next time we go out and see what we reel in. Thanks for the tip.
[signature]
Be sure that if you throw a "little" one back in as bait that it is dead. It is a healthy ticket for using live bait. Not police[Wink][cool]ing but just trying to learn ya. I personally would love to be able to do it. Unfortunately we live in a state that thinks it's wrong.[Sad]
[signature]
Thanks for telling me! We didn't know that... some fisherman passing by was joking about sending the tiny fish back for some bigger ones so we had no idea.
[signature]
[cool] Well it looks like you guys did better than we did from your pics.
lol we were just off the boat ramp on the dike, you walked by us, and asked how we were faring. (couple with the three year old). well nice to meet ya kinda lol. (it was a good day for us, the boy finally caught his first fish (( a 3 inch gill )). And just my 2 cnts on a good place to go close to slc, we always have a good time and do fairly well up american fork canyon, decent planters just look for some of the slow pools and work the current.
[signature]
Places to go fish withing 1 hr of SLC.....hmmmm...I think I can name one or two, Lets see how about Utah Lake @ Lindon boat harbor, Utah Lake @ Lincoln beach, or Utah Lake the west side below Pelican Point, then you can try the Jordan River either in the valley or just below Utah Lake. You can drive up Big Cotonwood Canyon & fish the stream coming down from Brighton, how some Urban fisheries there are a number of lakes & ponds in the SLC valley see the proclamation. If you want to drive just about an hour then there is: Causey Resovoir or Pineview in the Ogden Valley area (these 2 take just under an hour I used to drive it every day for 5 years to and from work) the same for Jordanelle or Deer Creek both take under an hour to get to from West Jordan, and the High Uintahs will take just over an hour from the Salt Lake Valley. These are just a few, I'm sure there are more within an hour of the valley, but you can fill a few weekends just exploring these close to home. When I first came to Utah I fished the Uintahs & the Jordan River just below Utah Lake. Trout, Cats & White Bass.
[signature]
Congrats to your son NB! I bet he was pretty excited. I'm pretty sure I remember who you guys were and it's nice to kinda meet you as well [Wink].

Thanks for all the tips on where to go everyone. We aren't quite sure where we are going to go yet but it's nice to know what the options are.
[signature]
FFM that definitely gives us a good place to start exploring the wide world of utah fishing. Thanks for the list... We'll have to go to each and check them off as we make it to them. [Smile]
[signature]
If you're making a list you could also head west and try the lakes out of Tooele. Haven't heard much about them this year but both Grantsville Res. and Settlement Canyon have been fairly good producers in the past. Have fun!
[signature]