Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ten Footer is Better in a Tube
A ten foot fly rod, that is...

Long wanting one, I finally picked up a four piece Echo 10 foot, 6 weight fly rod a couple of weeks ago. I had wanted a five and was considering a TFO but after pondering the applications I would use it for I decided on the six. Now I can report from experience that the extra foot (assuming a nine footer as a bench mark) makes a significant difference in casting and hook setting from the tube.

Though my number of trips has been way down due to other obligations, I've been fishing deep flies (10 feet plus) with a breakaway indicator this year more than ever before. The ten foot rod helps a lot in picking up (with a high lift and roll cast) the long sunken leader and getting it airborn. Also, when a fish takes on such a long, submerged leader, the low position of the tube makes lifting the rod for a hookset more difficult with the shorter rod. The ten really helps with that lift.

I know we have some flyfishers who read these posts so I pass this along for their benefit. While a person might understandably be unable to justify the purchase of another rod to gain a foot or so in length, the ten is a worthy specialized tool for those who like fishing from the tube. (Strictly one man's opinion, of course.)

z~
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Tubes, Pontoons, Lake sides and rivers.....10 footers rock! Good luck on that 6 wt. I went with the 5 for trout and hasn't let me down at all.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I also wanted to build a 10 for 5. Saw a smokin' deal on blanks, but by the time I got there I had to compromise. Only 10 foot they had left was a 7 weight. I settled for a 9 1/2' for a 5. I got pretty good reach, and that extra 6" makes a difference too. We need all the advantages we can get. Helps line control on the water too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am going to be using it soon to chase wipers. Hope they don't abuse my little fairy wand too badly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hey, Flygoddess lady, you should have been with me today on Willard. I had a couple of wiper boils that came up all around me. I had a couple of big fish actually splash me with water when they smacked the top. Wouldn't you know it, I was rerigging at the time and did not get a cast into them before they went back down.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Me to. I was mowing the lawn and planting new flowers. You gotta let me know when you do this.
[signature]
[cool]I like people who agree with me.

z~

[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I probably shouldn't be making any "gender" comments, but I will anyway. It is especially gratifying to have someone of the opposite sex agree with you...especially one who is not afraid to offer differing opinions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yep, it is always good to have Joni on your side. Not that she is disagreeable...just doesn't always agree. What's better/worse is that she usually makes sense.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I wish more women fished. I can't help but think that women like Tubebabe and Flygodess are just different to other women in the world. They can appreciate a good dining or theater experience, but to them the finest things in life aren't created by man, we are just beneficiaries and participants. I know that's how my wife is and that's why I know our years together are going to be like Tubedude's and Tubebabe's ... a common passion for the simple things that are truly unique.

-ABT-
[signature]
Thank you all. I am very simple, for me it is a good DVD and
McDonalds LOL[Wink] Through fries and a milk shake and I purr like a kitten.
[signature]