Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 8/15/06
Had another fun day for 1/2 day again with the Spark. [Smile] Caught 20+ LM on my standard reaper on the E. side but nothing of size. Too windy for controlling my float tube well. By the time it calmed down I was in a lesser productive are for biggies. Yep. TD another mid day. [sly][sly][sly][sly][sly] [Tongue].
Leaky
What time were you there? We got on the pond around 2 pm and stayed till 6. We were the white tri-hull in the se corner near the inlet. We stayed there all afternoon. I took a co-worker and his 3,4, and 13 year old. None of which have ever caught a fish.[blush] Needless to say by the time all of us got back to the boat dock, we put 75 gills and perchies in the boat with a few worth keeping and one hog gill about 1 1/2 #![Smile] It was possibly the biggest gill i have seen caught there. My buddy took a pic and i am trying to get it from him. Anyway, as usual, Lil'Lunkerhunter took top honors with 31 to his credit and the big hog. There were only 6 perch in the bunch with none worth eating. The wind made it hard to fish 6 people at a time but we managed. It died a few times and was pleasant. Wonderful day on the water.
Chartreuse jig head and a tiny piece of worm under a bobber.[Wink][cool][Smile]
[signature]
LH2,yesterday I found that a bigger jig head would get down quicker and the bigger perch were on the bottom.
When I went to a bigger jig, the little Gills couldn't hook up as easy and the jig could get to the bottom where the big perch were holding. I also put on a plastic body which helped keep the dinks off.
[signature]
Was there from about noon untill 5 pm but was at the point on east side and north of the point back to the N. E. part of the bay. Best fishing was at the point as usual. Glad to here ya had fun. If you see Spark and I, drop buy and say howdy. Just look for the Golden. [Smile]
Leaky
Sounds like you all had a great time there... I'm supposing you guys were all in boats? When we went we basically stayed on the rocks because it seemed around the rest of the lake was private property. It was so crowded with people fishing every 20 yards it probably scared away anything big enough to keep.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I was just getting off the water at Willard while you were launching on Mantua. I already had 5 wipers and had caught a bunch of nice kitties too...all early.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Different (fin) strokes for different folks (and dogs).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is always nicer when you don't have to fight the wind. But, glad you found a few to play with.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nope, as I said, in my float tube!
Leaky
Yes New_Fish, we were in a boat and Leaky was in a float tube. There are better fish out away from the crowds and the places that get hit hard. If you park on the nw end of the dike in the new parking lot, you can walk clear around to the "point" and fish off either side of it and catch bigger than average fish. Also, if you can find the inlet in the se corner you can wade past the trees and cast to the bigger fish from there.
[signature]
You've been out quite a bit lately Fred! Strong work. Give the Sparkinator a pat on the head, and tell him the birds are calling!
[signature]
Lunkerhunter2 is right, darn it. [unsure] Was trying to keep it down as to where, but I guess we footsoldiers should share, huh? I spent about half my time there shore fishing since the wind was tough for float tubing and had good success. My best advice is to get yourself a tube and fins and it will open up a lot more fishing to you and actually be a lot more fun. It saves on gear to since youre able to get unsnagged easier. It' a lot cheaper than a boat!!!!!! You can actually get yourself outfitted with a tube and fins for under $100 now buying the cheaper stuff, which actually for a starter is, in my opinion, the way to go until you get richer or more experienced. I still have my stuff I bought 20 years ago and it suits me just fine. Of course you can allways upgrade to TD stuff when you get serious or just want to.[Wink] My tube has gotten me into about 70-80% more areas that I could not fish and I'm an old geezer.[Smile]
Leaky
Sweet! A tube would be lots of fun... and around $100 is not bad at all. We'll do some more shore line fishing and eventually I'll see what I can convince my husband to buy. Out of the two of us I am WAY more excited about fishing... he likes it... but he'd rather do land-scaping on our yard. So it'll take a little time and convincing before I'll get anything too fancy.

Sometime after we are done with our masters degree's he's promised me a boat... so I might have to wait for that day to get anything that will get me off the shore.

Thanks for the advice though! I thought tube's would cost a ton more... Maybe I can get a tube for christmas this year [Wink]

Oh and thanks for the advice on where to fish at mantua. When we go next we'll have to try the point or wade in the water a bit and see if we might nab ourself's a bass.
[signature]
Sounds like he's a lucky, lucky guy to be married to a fishergal!!![Wink] To use your expression I bet it's "sweet" to not only have a gal that enjoys the out doors but can also cook em up a great fishy meal, or am I jumping to conclusions? I hope not. What a great combo. Keep it up gal and keep posting. You can't believe how refreshing it is to have a gal on the forum, even for an old geezer. Was going to use another word but didn't want to ge TD, BLM, etc. on me. [Smile][Smile]
Leaky
Yeah leaky my husband's boss always tells him he's luck when he explains I'm dragging him to moab or most recently fishing. And as far as cooking I can cook some mean salmon at home but I have yet to cook something fresh caught while camping... I'll get there though.

I hope I'll be around awhile learning the great art of fishing. School starts for us next week again so I might tone down a bit... I hope not though... I need some kind of break and fishing seems like a good one.
[signature]
Sorry Leaky![shocked] I didn't mean to divulge your spot. I was merely telling her where the better and bigger fish were generally located. Besides, i don't think many people would walk that distance to fish when they can catch fish at the boat dock.[Wink] Hey New_fish, just get away from the crowds unless they are catching exactly what you want. If they are, then jump right on in and hold on tight![cool][sly]
[signature]
Hey guy, absolutely no problem, it was for a good cause.[Smile] Good fishing to ya.[Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink]
Leaky