Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Day at Willard
Took my friend and his 8 year old son out yesterday and had a great
time. Didn't see any boils and decided it would be better to try for
the catfish.

It was great fishing for about 2 hours. Didn't count the fish but guestimate we caught between 15 and 20. Most where in the 18"
range with one that was bigger (4-5lbs).

Released them all (I have no desire to eat catfish) and hope to hit it
again soon.
[signature]
No desire to eat catfish! Oh well, they sure are fun to catch. I'll bet your guests had a great time though. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Nice report Jason. Sounds like the wipers are not responding like we want. The cats are fun anyway.
[signature]
Brody,

Cancel whatever you are doing and we will hit it this evening!
[signature]
I must have put some kind of CATFISH curse on your boat. They are the nastiest critters. D-mack made me try a small fillet off one of those we caught with you [Sad][Sad]. No offense to those of you that like them but yuck.
[signature]
Wind,

Catfish are like Ducks. We try to convince ourselves that they taste good but in reality they are nothing more than decent to good tasting mud. The second best thing about catfish is catching them, the best thing about them is releasing them.

If the wipers ever pick up, we will have to hit it again. Hopefully, it is soon since I will be heading over the mountain for the next 9 months (within the next 2 weeks)
[signature]
I couldn't disagree more! Most people who say catfish don't taste good simply let it spoil before cooking it or do not prepare it properly. (Catfish are more dense and oily than trout, and require a longer cooking time. most who say it tastes gross did not cook it long enough).

Just ask TubeDude for one of his catfish recipes to try out!
[signature]
Oh yeah, and if you make jerky out of duck meat, it is just as good as deer jerky, but a little tougher. GOOD STUFF!!
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3][cool]Anything made into jerky is pretty tasty! Duck is the opposite of catfish, cooking wise that is. Most people tend to overcook their duck, that is why they say it's nasty.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Some folks don't like any fish at all. Some like trout only. Others eat perch or walleye but can't stand trout. It's all a matter of taste and experience. If you have had bad results with any fish, you tend to avoid it forever more.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While there are more than a few people who do not like catfish, there are far more who rate it as their favorite fish. It is generally a matter of how it is prepared...from hook to pan and during the cooking process.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Two old quotes come to mind:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]"Everyone to their own tastes, said the old maid as she kissed the cow."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]"You can always tell an opinionated person...but you can't tell them much."[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Tubedude,

Of course, many differ in their "tastes". I couldn't agree more. Saying catfish taste like mud is a slight exaggeration. Personally, I have tried many different types of fish with trout being the best.

With duck its funny, with all the different recipes and techniques I have used, people are still telling me I am cooking it wrong.

Maybe I cook my peas wrong too lol, who knows!!!!!!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There ya go! I have never liked peas, since I was forced to eat them as a kid. I like raw peas but can't stand cooked ones. No way to cook them right, as far as I am concerned.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just because you don't like duck or catfish does not make you a bad person. It just means you have different tastes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About trout? I have caught and eaten trout all over the country. Some has been great. Other has been nasty. Just as with any species the size and age of the fish can have a bearing on the quality of the flesh. So does the water chemistry and the diet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It's the same with bass and even walleye. Those species are widely considered to be great eating. However, I have caught and eaten them from some locations that the smell and taste of the flesh was enough to gag a maggot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, one's preferences in fish cuisine are subject to a lot of factors...both objective and subjective. The bottom line is that we make our own choices for our own reasons. And, if we are like most humans, we strongly resent anyone else trying to change our opinions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Kinda like politics and religion...or choices in rods, reels, lines, hooks, lures, baits, etc. They all make good topics for getting some lively discussion going.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No harm, no foul.[/#0000ff]
[signature]