Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver Lake
So we get there and it's gorgeous (but cold) and the fish are jumping out ALL OVER THE PLACE. We figure... sweet we are going to be pulling them out of the water all night. Nope. Not a bite... nothing... zip. The blasted fish were jumping right next to our line just teasing us. We tried worms and power bait and a green and yellow jig and lures and my husband even tried to rig up a fly hook (we have some fly fishing stuff from my dads ancient tackle box that has never been used). Nothing. I feel a bit better because I think the guys fishing a bit off didn't catch anything either.

Ah well... we still plan on going out saturday morning but have yet to decide where to go.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You just got another fishing lesson. It is one that most of us never learn well. Jumping fish does not translate to lots of caught fish. Those little buggers can drive you wacko when they are feeding on something exclusively and will not hit anything else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is likely that they were smacking some small insect that was hatching either around the shoreline or from the water. Often they are small enough that you can't even see them on the water...much less "match the hatch".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Trout in clear high mountain lakes can either be pushovers that will hit anything, or very selective feeders that frustrate even the advanced fly fisherman with a vest full of well tied flies. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Chances are that your standard recently-acquired tackle for low country panfish fishing did more to spook the fish than to attract them. They have keen vision and can easily see large leaders. It usually takes some pretty tiny tackle to score on them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't feel bad. There are lots of troutaholics who are pretty fair fishermen who do not always catch fish up there. But, there are also those magic times when whatever you toss in the water gets bit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want to get serious about clear water troutskis you will need to add some 2# or 4# line on your reels and get some small clear plastic bubbles for casting weight. Then, you need some tiny flies...from size 12 down to maybe size 18...in various buggy patterns. Start with tiny Renegades, hares' ears and other dark patterns. Sometimes bright patterns like royal coachman will get a reaction bite when matching the hatch won't work.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stick with it. It is part of the learning process. But, it is more advanced than jerking bluegill and perch out of an overstocked lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Don't get discouraged... That's why they call it "fishing" and not "catching." [Tongue]

As the temps start to drop over the next couple of months the fishing in most places should really pick up.

If you are debating on your next fishing location I would recommend the North Marina at Willard. Throw on a small white jig under a bobber for wipers, bluegill, and/or crappie or throw on a worm and shrimp for some cat fish action. If you make it to Sportsmans Wharehouse, check their minnow freezer. Those will also produce some cats.

Good luck!
[signature]
Mrs. New_fish, I really enjoy reading your reports. I hope you stick with your new-found hobby and master some tactics that produce fish, and that you remain a frequent contributor to this site. It's always nice to hear reports, successful and unsuccessful, from fisherpeople who have various skill levels.

Before I read TubeDude's reply to your post, I was going to suggest the half-filled clear plastic bobber followed by a long leader (4-5') and a tiny dark fly for high-mountain trout, as he did. I would further suggest that you purchase some floatant for the flies you purchase. Floatant comes in little plastic squeeze bottles and is about the consistency of honey, and fly fishermen use it to dress dry flies so that the flies will float on the water.

I'm going to include a VERY BASIC list below of some things to consider when you're planning on targeting certain types of fish. It may or may not help you, but it helps me to categorize some of my offerings when I drive to a destination that features certain types of fish.

Here's my list: [ul] [li]For trout: Flies (wet or dry) that may be trailed behind a clear plastic bubble, half-filled with water so that it will float, but also so that it will be heavy enough for you to cast out into a small lake. Reel the bubble very slowly, so as not to produce a wake behind the bubble, and watch for strikes on the fly. If you're using a wet fly (like a woolly bugger) watch for your line to go taught or watch for the bubble to sink. Also, various types of silver, gold, white, and chartreuse colored spinners. For types of brands, I like Blue Fox (they make a silver No. 1 and No. 2 spinner in all silver with some pink on the sides to make it look like a small rainbow and an all gold spinner with orange spots that resemble a small brown trout that are very effective), Mepps, Rooster Tails, and never forget the ever-popular Jakes Spin-a-Lure. Also, floating Rapalas that look like little minnows can be very productive tossed and retreived on lakes or streams. Vertical jigging with tube jigs can produce fast fishing if you can get yourself a boat and a sonar and vertical jig over a school of fish. And finally, if all else fails there's always the go-to baits such as worms, minnows, and PowerPutty (PowerBait) that often work, but I believe it's not very fun to still fish when one can move around and be more active, but do what you must to catch fish, if that's your main goal.[/li] [li]For panfish (i.e., perch, bluegill, crappie, white bass): small jigs tipped with worms or fish flesh (check regulations for the types of fish flesh that may be used) usually work very effectively. The amount of leader one uses below the bobber can vary due to how deep the fish are holding, so experiment until you get bit. Also, small spinners can be very productive on the above-mentioned panfish. Never cease to experiment with speeds of retrieval and depth in the water column when fishing, as being successful with catching fish may be a matter of discovering what the fish want on one day versus what they wanted the day before.[/li] [li]For bass: soft big plastics like Senkos, curly tail grubs, plastic worms, plastic lizards, plastic crawdads, etc. One could write a book (or fill thick magazines month after month) on the types of soft plastics one may use for largemouth and smallmouth. Also, these soft plastics may be fished in a variety of ways and presentations, including wacky-rigged, Texas-rigged, drop-shot, etc. Searches on the Internet using the above-mentioned words may help you to educate yourself on how these presentations may be used. If you're going to a lake that holds either large- or smallmouth and wish to target them, probably a stop at Sportsman's or Cabela's and requesting a question and answer session with someone who knows what works on a nearby water might be the best idea. Also, hard plastic crankbaits with spoonbill plastic lips that cause the hard plastics to dive and swim like minnows and crawfish are very effective.[/li] [li]For walleye: well, they're a mystery. I wish I knew how to consistently catch them with reckless abandon, but those beautiful toothy creatures elude me on most outings. Soft plastic curly tail jigs tipped with worms or fish flesh (again, check regulations) can be effective at times, but again experiement, experiment, experiment with different speeds of retrieval and picture where your jigs are swimming in the water column and try different depths to find these elusive fish. If you're succesful with these guys, they're wonderful on the dinner table and beautiful to look at, but watch out for the great white shark-like teeth! Also, soaking a minnow or worm either weightless or below a weight and swivel in walleye waters will work if you're patient.[/li] [li]For catfish: these dang things will eat just about anything. Seriously. Soak a big worm or minnow or shrimp or fish flesh either weightless, with weight, or under a bobber in waters holding catfish, and hold on. (If you and your husband ever want to drive down to Utah County, I can take you to a local pond in my boat, and you will catch some kitty fish. I promise.)[/li][/ul]

Each of the above-mentioned fish species like to hang out at different parts of a lake at different times of the day. Continue to read posts on BFT and glean what information you can as to when anglers caught certain types of fish, during which times of the day, using what lure or bait, and keep notes if you have to. Also, in your free times, perform searches on the Internet to learn about the feeding habits and likely hangouts of certain types of fish, and you'll find that you'll begin to be more successful in no time.

I hope what I wrote above helps you some. For me, part of the enjoyment of fishing comes from learning about the ecology of the water I choose to fish. For instance, I think it's cool to learn about the insects that trout nibble on, so that I can become a better fly fisherman. I like to think that the big plastic worm I'm using for largemouth imitates the black leech I just discovered under a big rock on the water I'm fishing. And knowing that a particular water holds a big population of perch will certainly help me to land a smallmouth if I use a perch-imitating crankbait or soft plastic.

Again, there are lots of things to learn and consider, and all of us on this site, regardless of our skill level, are in the same boat, so to speak, when it comes to improving our fishing knowledge.

I hope these thoughts of mine help you.
[signature]
PrinceFisher,

VERY INFORMATIVE POST!!!! Thanks for sharing... hell.. I am taking notes! LOL. [Wink]

You did, however, forget my favorite spinner.. PANTHER MARTINS!!!
[signature]
Thanks, Fly. Just tryin' to help. . .[cool]

And yep, forgot Panther Martins. They can be the go-to lure for sure at times.

Now that I think of it, I probably forgot a lot of things.
[signature]
Thanks PF for the post, that was very, very good. New Fish, just keep it up. Part of the joy of fishing is going to the store and buying a crapload of new stuff. Often, this can even be the best part of fishing for me.[sly]
[signature]
Christine-

I think it's really cool that you guys are trying to learn the ropes of fishing all on your own. Most people have to be introduced/forced into seeing the joys of fishing. It's great that you have seen it through your own accord. This will result in a greater appreciation of the skills you are acquiring. I too feel like I am a self taught fishermen, and it gives me a sense of pride, and a challenge each time I fish a new place/species. To find out where the fish are, how they act, how to catch them, etc. You will find that many times, the same species will act totally different in lakes that are right by each other. I have especially found that planter fish are a lot different than their wild and natural half brothers. What worked for a certain species in one lake, might be worthless for the same species in another lake. As far as bluegill, perch, catfish, carp, that might not be as true (in my experience). But for fish like: trout, bass, pike, musky, walleye, I have found that to be especially true.

So it helps me to think that I'm fishing the lake, for the specific species, and not just the species that happens to be in that lake,,, if you know what I mean. Each lake has different components of temperature, structure, other species, pressure, food, that all determine how you can catch your targeted species.

Check out this link on my last trip to Silver Lake:
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=274250;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...;;page=unread#unread[/url]

I found that Silver Lake is REALLY deep, as you might have seen how it drops off. The fish I caught, where always when I was fishing as deep as I could. Also, Silver Lake seems to be FULL of food for those brookies, hence they wouldn't be too enticed by such a foreign substance to them as Power Bait. Those high mountain trout mostly eat terrestrials, i.e. ants, beetles, and other bugs. Especially at Silver Lake where there are big cliffs/hills on the sides of the lake. The wind is known to blow up these hills, rip the bugs from their perches and slam them back down on the lake, bringing a nice meal for the waiting fish. Because those high mountain guys are so used to the typical food sources, I don't think they know quite how to react to other foreign tactics. If you fish for them matching their natural feeding habits, you will have great success.

Good luck to you in your efforts. Don't give up. I am only 24, but I would guess that most of the guys whose BFT posts you are reading have been fishing longer than I have been alive. Therefore, don't be intitmated by a lack of success. Whether we admit it or not, we all have gone through a learning curve where we had to think differently to catch fish. Heck, most people just throw out a bobber and a hook, and hope to catch a "big one". I have spent a big chunk of my life fishing lakes, rivers, and ocean all across Western Wahington and the Canadian Rockies. Being that you just started, I would say you are definitely on the right track.

What's beautiful about fishing, is there is ALWAYS more to learn. Once a fishermen becomes complacent or satisfied with his skills/knowledge, he will never progress.

Just my two cents...[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks, Troll.

[reply]
Part of the joy of fishing is going to the store and buying a crapload of new stuff. Often, this can even be the best part of fishing for me.[sly] [/reply]
Very funny! [laugh]

Your quote about buying stuff makes me think about the time I got some pretty pricey lures in the mail and thought they were so nice lookin' that I decided I probably shouldn't fish with them for fear of losing them.

Every once in awhile I'll hold them up to the light to admire their detailed colors and feel if their hooks are still sharp. (Think Gollum cupping the ring in his hands and repeating "my precious" and you get the idea.)
[signature]
GO TO LINDON BOAT HARBOR AND PITCH SMALL JIGS. RETEIVE JUST FAST ENOUGH TO SKIP ACROSS THE BOTTOM HEAR AND THERE. BITES ARE QUICK BUT THEASE FISH INHALE SMALL JIGS. YOU SOULD CATCH ALOT. THEY ARE REALY GREAT TAISTING FISH BREADED AND DEEP FRIED. AND LIKE THE OTHER GUYS SAID KEEP AT IT FISHING IS ALOT MOORE THAN REALING IN FISH.
[signature]
I've hit the same hatch up there several times. Basically the fish are hitting small midges (little gnat-looking bugs) that are emerging from the pupa to an adult. The fish, especially smaller ones, are usually coming almost all the way out of the water sometimes as they chase the bugs that are "escaping". I've found the flies to match the natural bugs are very small (#24 - #28). Last time out I fished a size #28 midge emerger and caught plenty of the fish that were rising. Anything bigger than that did not work too well. Even then, there are so many real bugs on the water that you're competing with 1000's of similar looking flies on the water. Fun stuff. If you're interested in learning some more about the midge flies and such, you guys can email me and I'll help you out.
[signature]
Hey Canadian, different Silver Lake. They were up at the Silver Lake by Brighton in Big Cottonwood Canyon. It's not as remote as the one you went to.

:-)[cool]
[signature]
If you tried to list everything that would work on a given day you'd still be writing the post. [cool]
[signature]
First off thanks everyone for the reply's... I was at a training/meeting about medicare/medicaid/social secuirty all day (you can imagine how fun that was) and it made my day to leave and read a bunch of posts about fishing!

Thanks for all the GREAT information! I'll have to read through it a few times and write stuff down so I can remember it (my brain is thouroughly fried currently with information overload from work). As far as buying new tackle tuition is due soon so that means we are broke for a bit... so we'll have to stick to fish that will bite what we've got.

Yeah I think one of the most frustrating thing about last night is that the first place I went fishing was silver lake over 5 years ago and I was pulling fish out every 2 minutes with power bait.

Ah well! Once again thanks for all the great info... I have read through it once but to be honest I'm not sure how much I got from[crazy] it. So I'll probably read through it again and be thanking you guys more specifically for the great information again. [Smile]

Oh.. and our plan is willard tomorrow... I'm hoping the tackle we have will work there. *crosses fingers*
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like you need a "brain broom".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Two suggestions. Start a couple of Word doc files, labeled FISHING INFO or something. Copy and paste all of the posts that have been provided for you. You can save them on your desktop or you can print them out to read when you are supposed to be studying something else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Second, if you guys will come over to our place, after TubeBabe gets back from Arizona, I will "download" a bunch of stuff that I know I will never use but will make a good start to your collection. I know both what it is like to try to learn about fishing and to try to stock up when you are a "starving student". Been there, done that on both accounts. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have benefitted from the generosity and patience of many other anglers over the years and I would not be properly grateful if I did not do what I can to pass it on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Have you ever watched the movie "Pay it Forward?"[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If we ever happen across each others path's, i would be more than happy to give up some goodies too. There are items(standard stuff) i will never use all of in my tackle boxes. I work a weekend shift so it may never happen, but i will keep an eye out for ya.
As TD said, he had a lot of help by way of "downloads" and i have too from many generous people.
[signature]
i had a small box of fishing tackle ready to send to you i just need to get to the post office
[signature]
I really, really appreciate all the generosity and information! TD we are still trying to figure out when we can make it to fishing 101, and LH and petty I really appreciate your generosity as well. Wow… I feel like I am always saying Thank You while I’m posting.

I don’t think I would still be as interested in fishing if I didn’t have a place I could run and ask questions and get some information and tips! Thank all of you for that too… I think learning fishing is fun but without some help in the “learning” process I think it would loose some of its appeal.

PF thanks a ton for all the info… All the sudden tackle and fishing in general is beginning to make a little more sense to me… Thanks LM for the tip on what to use at silver lake. Yeah it seemed they were going after something tiny that we just couldn’t compete with. We’ll have to try that some time. Thanks for all the other tips too… I can’t even say thanks for all the tips there are so many.

O.k. no more thanking for a little bit… I’m going to go make a word file so I can keep some of this good info (my daily info limit has been maxed out).
[Smile]
[signature]