Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Tomorrow
So we're going to willard tomorrow morning... this forum gets so many hits I figure by then I'll get some info [sly]

First... I'm pretty sure there is a fee to get in but I haven't been there for who knows how long so I can't remember. Is there? Is there ways to get in where there isn't? (None law breaking ways)

Second... any tips? We've got some worms, lures, salmon eggs (that may or may not still be good but its worth a try), and some green and yellow jigs. We're not going to buy anything new so any tips on the best way to use these and where?
[signature]
Not sure about the "free access" but fish the north side, along the dike. You can walk in and go down the dike and fish with a worm and a bobber. Use about 6-8 feet of leader (below the bobber)

Youshould have any trouble catching catfish. Good luck!

Oh, the exit to get there is directly west of the Flying J
[signature]
It cost 9 bucks to get into the North or South marina area, the area that Cadresults is talking about cost 3 buck if I remember correctly. I believe Tube Dude has fished there recently so he might be able to give you a better idea on the cost. There are a few areas that you can fish for free but they are a little hard to get to unless you have been there before. The easiest spot to get to would be the South West corner of the bay. Get off the Freeway at Smith(S&E) and Edwards turn West at the North end of the S&E parking lot, this road will go to the South marina if you turn about halfway down the road but you need to stay on that road until you come to the end of the pavement. Where the pavement ends and turns to dirt, take a right and follow the main part of the road until you get to the area you want to fish. There are several side roads so just try and stay on the best road, you will know you are there when the road comes to the base of the dike and then turns North. I usually troll at Willard but Cadresults idea about fishing with a worm below a bobber sounds like it should work. You could also try casting out one of your yellow or green jigs with a piece of worm and reel it in at different speeds, just to see what happens. Good luck and let us know how you do. WH2
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You will take the "Willard - Perry" exit from the freeway. As you have been advised, there is a Flying J at this offramp. You turn back to the west, under the freeway, and look for a dirt road going up onto the dike. It is the one just to the right of the park ranger facilities.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] If you want to fish the north dike without paying a fee you can park out on the access road and walk a hundred yards to the gate. Or, the fee is only $3 here, to park at the gate and walk out on the dike.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is a structure on the dike. That is the outlet equipment, for water users to drain water from the lake. Sometimes there is a current around there that brings in fish. It is a good place to fish from the rocks. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can fish under a bobber or you can just put on a worm and toss it out a ways. There are lots of sunfish, small smallmouth and catfish near the dike. Forget the salmon eggs and powerbait. But, fishing a jig under a bobber, with or without worm, can sometimes be very productive for crappies and even a stray wiper or two.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you do not find fish around the outlet, keep moving out and trying until you find fish. Sometimes they hold in small areas.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope you get this in time and good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I fished that exact area that tube dude is explaining last Sat. I caught 2 cats and a small mouth in about and hour with a worm under a bobber. You'll have fun there. I caught the small mouth by the structure and the cats closer the the vegetation. Was thinking of going there myself today with my kids. We'll see how fast they do their chores.
[signature]
Thanks for all the tips... we had some complications and didn't make it this morning so we are going monday night instead. Now we know exactly where to go. [Smile]
[signature]
I'm pretty sure you can also still fish the inlet for free. If you follow the directions to get to the south marina, the inlet follows the road into the marina. I've caught some nice catfish in there before, and we used to catch walleye and crappie "back in the day".
[signature]