Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who owns Deer Creek???
O.k. folks. Long time since I posted anything, but I am burning mad and need to vent.

Has anyone tried to launch a boat at Island Park lately? Good Luck!

A few weeks ago it took almost two hours to get my buddies boat out of the water. There was a constant line of trucks trying to get boats in and out. But, every now and then, the rental people would stop traffic so they could jump ahead of the line and launch or pull out their rental toys.
As if that wasn't bad enough. Now they have put a line of hiway pylons down one side and claim that the north lane is for their rentals only. I waited in line for a while yesterday. The two lanes for the public were way busy. The rental lane had no traffic. So I used it, and put my boat on the trailer. As I pulled out, a guy came out and told me that I can't use that lane. We had words and I told him I will use whatever lane is open. It is a STATE PARK boat ramp.
Those guys are making a fortune at our expense. They have about thirty new boats, probably fifty new jet ski's, and three or four brand new toyota trucks. And they are making money while we have to wait for a ramp paid for and maintained by the state parks.
Not only that, but I had a big wake boat come so close to me that my anchor broke loose three times while I was fishing. Who was it? A rental boat. Those people don't even know there are regulations about distance from anchored boats or anything else. They just pay to play for a few hours and don't give darn about anybody else on the lake.

Anybody think this is a fair and reasonable way to run a state park?

Thank You for listening.

WB
[signature]
Man after reading that report I'm so glad I work weekends and fish during the week. Thanks for reminding me why I love this shift so much. I think I would have tried to launch at the other ramp, I don't really care for the island because of all the traffic with limited places to park.
[signature]
Hey there Bob, good to see you are still in the land of the living. It has been a while since your last post, how you been my friend? That sounds like total bull, I don't see how they can pull a stunt like that and get away with it. Have you tried calling the state parks department to find out what the deal is? I sent you a PM.
[signature]
What they did is illeagal and unethical. They get away with it because *most* people let them. WB was right when he told them it was a state park. *WE* pay for that park not only in entrance fees but in other taxes budgeted to the Department.

What they are trying to do is make their customers happy. I mean i wouldn't want to rent a boat, PWC, or anythingelse and then sit for 2 hours waiting to launch. That would just suck!
But it is only fair....... we paid for our boats, or other toys. So it is cosyting us just like the folks who rented them. If they don't like the wait they don't have to rent the equipment. Just my 2 cents. You go WB and if ya want the phone # to complain PM me
[signature]
First off I don't think they should be able to rent boats or pwc's out of the state park or have there own lane to launch.
[signature]
HEY BOB OLD BUDDY..... ONE BIT OF ADVICE. CAM CORDER.... NEXT TRIP DO THE SAME THING YOU DID THIS ONE JUST HAVE BUDDY FILM THE VIOLATION. AND THEN TAKE A COPY TO THE STATE PARKS DEPARTMENT AND PUTT AN END TO THE MISSUSE OF PUBLIC PROPPERTY!!! AND CALL CHUCK HE,S REALY BEEN WANTING TO TALK TO YOU FOR SOME TIME... SEE YA KEN
[signature]
i hate to say this (as most know I don't miss to many opertunitys to take a shot at the way this state run's things)

but i'm sure the rental guy's have a contract with the state and are paying the state for use of the area they are in and for the ramp.. so you might want to check that out first before you go to far off the deep end.. we might not think they can do that but the rangers just might tell ya diffrent..

be carefull my freind I don't want to see ya get put in jail over someing like that..
[signature]
That would mean that the contract is public. Request a copy and see just what is allowed by the contract.

Next time a Rental gets to close get the numbers, file a compliant. Hopefully the rentor has been drinking. Bye-Bye boat, trailer and new toyota truck. That's the law.
[signature]
Hey Dude where have you been ????? I stopped by your house last pheasant hunt and you were not home.
don't even get me going about the way they handle deer creek. it totally Sucks the big one. a few years ago I was up there in Oct. Eye fishing until very late in the night and when I came back to the boat ramp they had dug up the front of the ramp and had a big pile of rocks blocking my from getting my boat out. I was so P off I would have shot someone. I was lucky my truck had a 4in. lift and 35in. tires and 4x4 or I would have had a long walk. I had to go over the side rocks to get out and go about 40 yards out in the water to get deep enough to put my boat on the trailer. beleve me Bob I feel your pain. you should see the party that goes on up there on July 24, wow, thats all I can say. Hey give me a call, we'll have to hook up for some ut lk eyes here pretty soon. later chuck
[signature]
OK, so i am Confused, the only deer creek i can think of is here in Utah, and the only Island Park i know is where our cabin is, Idaho. I don't know a deer creek arm on IP res, but wouldnt be shocked if it was near the Bills Island where the rich folk go and the riff raff (like most of us hehe) are gated out, and never been to deer creek in Utah, although i want ta giver hell fishin there sometime. If thats how they are running deer creek i think thats an 8 up way of doing things, money first..... and all that stuff. Not to flame on the DWR, or the state parks, but someone needs to realize that without the constant money from the sportsmen, their budget may really be in trouble.
[signature]
It is Deer Creek in Utah. Island Park refers to the Island Park Marina, which is the big one you see right off the highway just before you get to the island heading east towards Heber.

This marina has a private boat/PWC rental company that operates out of it, which is located right in the State Park there. The area is almost always very crowded with lots of boats and PWCs launching there, then heading to terrorize the lake.

I am betting that the State Parks division has an agreement with them, since they already are 'renting' their facilities from the State anyway.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the budget would be hurt too bad if fishermen didn't go there. There are a BAJILLION power squadron folks that go there.
[signature]
Don't get me started about that rental office at that stupid Island boat ramp. I used to love to fish the rocks around that area for smallies. Now, they even own the parking area so you can't even park in the spaces cause they reserved them for the stupid rental folk. I'm sure they got a contract with state parks, but I agree, it's unfair. I pay a nice fee every year for my multiple parks annual permit. I think I am just as valuable as the average rental folk. Ok, just my two cents.
[signature]