Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intro and question
Hi all, Found this site through a search on float tubes and like what I see. Good friendly group with diversity for sure. I think I'll stay a bit.
While new here, I've been into fly fishing for 20+ years ( of my 48 yr history) and have owned a round tube most of that time. While I do use them a few times a year, I mostly use canoes, yaks on my native SE MAss /RI lakes. However, after tubing with some new friends lately, I could see that maybe a new V tube should be in my future soon.
FWIW, I'm 5'9" , 220, deciently fit and mostly use tubes for fishing smallish /sheltered ponds/coves in the 5-50 acer range during summer months. Fishing time is usually 2-4 hrs at a pop. Portability and storage are a deciding factor ( too much stuff already!) but not as critical as performance and comfort. I have plenty of other canoes/yaks/boats to keep me dry if the need /environment dictates so the tube is just for those 2-4 times a year when teh itch arrises.

So with all that said, I have done allot of researching ( here and on the net) of three models that have been discussed allot here. The Outcast fischcat 4, fat cat and ODC 420.
Still, I have some questions that maybe somebody can clarify.
1) It's implied that the ODC is inbetween the size of the FC4 and FatC but I can't find any actual dimentions for the ODC. Given I'm 220+ waders gear etc, I wonder if teh FC4 is at it's ( 250#?) limit already
2) Do owners of any of these craft feel like they are slipping out of the seat ( as i read on a riverwire review)? I do like teh security of my round tube!
3) For those owning both/several, did you find much difference in kicking ease, stability etc, wind resistance/drifting?

I'm wondering which of these craft would be the better match. Right now I'm thinking ODC 420 or FC (not SFC) but don't want to get something so big its a storage issue.
FWIW, $125 difference isn't a huge object but is noted. (i.e. The thrill of a deal is momentary, the satisfaction of quality is lasting.)
ANY additional input appreciated.
Thanks!
Dave
[signature]
Hi WeeHooker, welcome to BFT!

While I have not sat on an ODC nor either of the Fat Cats, many members own them and are extremely pleased with them.
I myself weigh 228lb and have a FC 4 deluxe and it holds me fine. Feels like fishing in an armchair - it's almost shameful.

-ABT-
[signature]
WH,

I was waiting for somebody else to chime in here but since no one has and I own a FC4, ODC 420 and a SFC maybe I can help a bit. I'll take your questions as they appear:

1) The ODC 420 is 5-6 inches longer than the FC4 and one inch wider. I have not measured the difference between the ODC 420 and the Fat Cat and Super Fat Cat. The ODC and the SFC are very similar but my generalized impression is that the SFC is more robust. I think that pontoons are bigger on the SFC than the ODC. (Of course my SFC has the air seat which causes you to sit about 3 inches higher than the foam seat of the ODC.) At 220 pounds you'd be pushing the limits of the FC4's 250 pound capacity (but ABT above seems to do OK with ihis.) If I were making the decision I would mark that one off the list but only for the weight issue.

2) I've fished from all three tubes and have never felt like I was slipping out of the seat. In my opinion the design of these "V" boats is much superior to the donut. (I've owned three donuts so I realize what I'm saying.)

3) I think that the SFC is the easiest to kick and fastest tube of the three. (Again, mine has the air seat which might be a factor in that.) The ODC is next, followed by the FC4. Going directly from the ODC to the SFC, I always feel like I've stepped up. While the FC4 and ODC is adequate for me in every way, I really prefer the SFC. I weigh 180.

In my opinion you would probably like the ODC 420 and the FC/SFC. The ODC is fully adequate but you'd feel the difference between that and the higher end tubes.

Hope you can make a good choice.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard, matey. Hope we can help in your decision-making progress. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Zonker has done a fine job (as usual) of laying out the basic differences and adding his own insight and experience. All on target. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have a picture board for the Float Tubing board [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=203004;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO FLOAT TUBE SHOPPING[/url] . If you look down through the pics on the shopping guide, you will see that most of them have sizes, weights and capacities listed. The ODC is rated for 300#. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have fished from a Super Fat Cat for about 3 years now. While it has some "issues", it still provides the best real "fishing platform" of all the tubes I have riden and/or reviewed. As much as I dislike the inflated seat, wimpy apron and low seat backs, I love the size, shape, high ride, big pockets and overall quality of materials and construction.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can get a foam seat model of the Fat Cat for about $100 more than the ODC 420, and to some it would be money well spent. However, if your yearly use will be minimal, it remains your decision as to whether you want to spend more than for the ODC 420. From all that I have heard, from those who have fished from both, they are close enough in size, capacity and ride to make either an acceptable choice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the FC4 issue, I will say that the rating of 250 pounds is merely a guideline, not an absolute. You will not explode the air chamber nor sink to the bottom if you put 251 pounds aboard. I would be willing to be that there are more than a few FC4 tubers who exceed the suggested limit. You will ride lower in the water but will be perfectly safe.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Slipping out of the seat? That is a common question posed by tubers who are used to sitting down inside a donut. I had the same concern when I "graduated" to an open ended craft with no crotch strap or seat belt. But, in the ten years or so that I have been jockeying V boats, U boats, mini-pontoons, kick-boats, etc., I have never felt myself "slip-sliding away". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is one craft that definitely presents that potential, however. It is the WaterSkeeter "DayTripper".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10310;][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you can see in the pic, it is a poorly designed craft with the center of gravity too high and the short rounded pontoons allowing too little stability. There have been reports of anglers tilting forward and sliding out of their tubes when netting fish, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most of the other open-ended craft on the market are reasonably well designed and the seats are usually comfortable and safe. Of course, you may have to reposition yourself a few times during the day, if you lean back a lot while kicking. That can slide your posterior forward on the seat, but most seats are plenty big enough to compensate for some of that.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks all, You have pretty much confirmed my thoughts. Although I won't use it as much as i'd like, I'm starting to lean towards the SFC/FC. I'm going to pass on the FC4 simply because i'm approaching the weight rateing when I gear up. While I'm sure it's not dangerous, It's certainly not going to kick at peak performance if it's weighted down. That leaves the ODC and Fat Cats. The ODC is really all I "need" and looks like a heck of a deal. It has a few "little things" that bother me though. While it has nice pockets, I would need to add velcro fly rod holders. Not a biggy, just a note. My other "gripe" is that you need to empty and go into both main pockets in order to fill it. ( I briefly had a H shaped boat built like that which I disliked.) I like that the FC's have the single exterior fill valve since I would be storing it mostly deflated between trips ( for space reasons).
Lastly, I don't wear out my tubes. I have one that is 15 yrs old and still in nice shape ( rubber tube was replace in that time). Consequently, I have a little more faith in the longevity of urathane bladders vs PVC. ( Not sure why, but I do.) I'll keep you posted but I'm now thinking that a SFC or FC is in my future (you only live once.)but havn't totally ruled out the ODC. A few more sleepless nights will help in the decision , I'm sure! BTW, Anybody know where he best online prices on these craft might be found? So far I have $340 (free S&H) on a SFC, $290 on FC and $158 on ODC as best. If you know of better , a PM would be much appreciated.

P>S> TD, I have to agree on that "day tripper" it looks like a clowns rocking chair and almost cartoonish in design! Actually looks taller than long! I had to laugh, there is actually one on ebay right now being sold from the "estate" of it's owner. Wonder how he met his end?[crazy]

Dave
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I owned the Daytripper and while I agree with all the faults, I got bashed on another forum for posting my TRUE AND EXPERIENCED dislikes to it. A point was made that there is few offerings to people over 300lb's and that this was the boat for them, so I will say, while I hate the bulkyness, the apron, the stitching, the fact that it is a great replica of Grandmas rocking chair, the fact that it requires two different inflation devises, it is an idea for the people 250lb +.[/size][/black][/font] [font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I still have to add the ECHO with the perma bladders.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][inline Echo.jpg]
[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
This chart may assist you it only has the tubes that Cobela sales but it's something:

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/compchart/comp-chart.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/product/display-hyperlinks-moreinfo.jsp_A&_DAV=false&backLink=/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp%3Fid%3D0029653318109a%26type%3Dproduct%26cmCat%3Dsearch%26returnPage%3Dsearch-results1.jsp%26QueryText%3DODC%2B420%26N%3D4887%26Ntk%3DProducts%26Ntx%3Dmode%2Bmatchall%26Nty%3D1%26Ntt%3DODC%2B420%26noImage%3D0%26cmCat%3Dcchart_float_tubes&chartName=float_tubes&filterName=current&backTitle=Creek+Company+ODC+420+Float+Tube&hasJS=true"]Compare Float tube chart[/url]
[signature]
WH,

I bought my SFC from Riverwire.com - well actually, I purchased it from the shop that owns Riverwire. The Caddisfly Shop in Eugene, Oregon is about 45 minutes from my home so I just went over and paid them to load it into my car. As I recall they had the best price I could find back when I bought mine. I've heard that their mail order business is pretty efficient. They do have a great eval of FC4, FC, and SFC on their website which I think you already mentioned. I'd buy from them again. In fact, I've bought several major ticket items from their brick and mortar store and had full satisfaction.

z~
[signature]
FG,

I saw that bashing you took on the other forum. It wasn't very nice. I shoulda spoken up for you. My take on it was that for many people, the very best product in the world for everyone else in the world is the one they own (sometimes because it is the only one they have ever used.) I think that's where the guy who bashed you was coming from. I guess the other factor would be what my grandpa used to say: "There's no accounting for taste."

I always like it when somebody gives me an honest eval without making me feel like I'm the world's biggest dufus if I don't come to the same conclusion. Not everybody is willing to do that though because there is often as much ego involved as real truth.

After years of reading guys (and gals) argue about the best graphite rod on flyfishing forums, I was reading a forum last night dedicated to vintage glass rods. What I found was that those guys appreciated their "antiques" (Pfleuger, Garcia, Shakespeare, etc.) with just as much passion as those who argue for the latest space age carbon creations. Same is true for bamboo, as you know. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Catching fish isn't that complicated.

[cool]Enough philosophizing for today. Please drop a penny in the can at the end of the counter before leaving.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I bought my SFC from Riverwire online about 3 years ago. Fast service and no shipping charges. I did not drive over to pick it up, neither.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Zonker, you will never believe this, but he PM'd me and apologized up one side and down the other. Now we are very good friends, in fact I just sent him a furled leader and some flies. My being a woman does put some off, and that is cool. But to know me is to love me[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I like the point you made however. He asked on a public forum and I gave my opinion, he didn't like it and fired away[/size][/font]
[signature]
I like the happy ending. Thanks for sharing that one. Glad to hear of it.

[cool]Now if I say somthing not too nice and then apologize will you send me some flies and a furled leader?

[cool][Wink]On second thought, my grandkids are already going to get enough flies that I'll never use when I croak, so maybe I'll just try to keep being nice.

z~
[signature]
[reply]
[cool][#0000ff]I bought my SFC from Riverwire online about 3 years ago. Fast service and no shipping charges. I did not drive over to pick it up, neither.[/#0000ff] [/reply]

Next time you get ready to order a tube from Riverwire, just let me know and I'll pick it up for you and keep it for you 'till you have an opportunity to come by and get it from me. That'll save you some shipping. Sound OK?

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like the same convoluted logic wives use when they go sale shopping. They save so much money, on all the stuff they buy, that they can afford to go to another sale. They do not worry about poor hubby having to sell off the boat to pay the credit card bill.[/#0000ff]
[signature]