Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new float tube
HEY GUYS .I was looking to up grade my float tube. I was thinking about getting one from Creek company. I liked the look of the Sub 714. Does anybody know where I might get one in the SL valley. Has any one heard any reports on them
[signature]

Hey there Tincanfsh,

You must also have a Wood Creek float tube. I've got the u-boat, Stealthrider. Do you float tube the ocean too? Before you get any tube, visit some of the sites for float tubers that fish the bays and beaches. It will change your view of tubing, it did mine! There's some many designs and price/value differences out there, I'd shop I regret I didn't know about fishing the Big Salty and the many guys fishing in float tubes in the south bay area.

I don't like naming competitors websites here but if you use Google.com as your search engine and use obvious keywords to search you'll be rewarded. Hint: bay, tubers, all, sportfishing, california, fishing

JapanRon
a.k.a.tsurikichi
[signature]
[cool] Hey, Bro. According to the list of dealers on the Creek website, Sportsmans has their products, and there are several other dealers listed in the area too. Just in case you haven't found their website, here is the link, with pics and descriptions of their craft: ([url "http://www.creekcompany.com/craft_sub.html"]http://www.creekcompany.com/craft_sub.html[/url] (Click on the Dealers button and just put in Utah)

While I have not had personal experience with the 714, I like several things I see in the pics and descriptions. It has a lot of flotation (350# rating) and high seating...above waterline. And, at $149 it is a lot of craft for the money. I always advise fellow floaters to try before they buy, but if you can't, you should at least try to get a personal looksee. I would check the quality of the zippers and the number and placement of the "D" rings. I would also check the type of valves. I have developed a dislike of the Boston valves, since they wear after useage and are prone to leakage or popping loose. That can result in an unsceduled trip to the bank...or worse.

I would also look at the stabilizer bar, and the type of attachment. Some of those things are a major pain, and your craft will not function without them being properly attached. Next, look at the pockets. Depending on the type of fishing you do, and the size and type of lure boxes you prefer to carry, you may not be happy with the size and configuration of the pockets.

The only other thing I can see that might be a problem with some anglers is the length. I would have a tough time fitting the 7' craft in my SUV, but it would work fine in a pickup or strapped to a roof rack. Of course you can always take it to the water in a deflated mode, but that means extra setup time when you would rather be on the water.

In short, it looks like a good craft at a reasonable price. The manufacturer is recognized for quality, so I would be confident in the materials and construction. If you get one, put up a post to let us know how it works for you.
[signature]
Hey JapanRon
Thanks for the reply. I don't fish the coast ,its not because I wouldn't want to,but I'm a land locked Utah float tuber. I grew up out east(mid New York State). I have lived out here for almost 10 years.I started float tubing in 2002. It has been great. I have caught so many fish from the tube.I did have a lot of time on the water in my tube but, I feel that I'm still a rookie so if you or any one has any tips for fishing in a tube let me know. I will check out those sites that you mentioned.Thanks[Smile]
Tincanfsh(Billy)
[signature]

Hey there Tincanfish,

This is a great sight for one-on-one advice on floattubing and floattube fishing, especially with TubeDude as the moderator. He's wrote the book on float tubing! Literaly! Me?!, I've just got a big mouth! ha ha

You can count on me putting in my quarters worth too! ha ha
Keep those questions coming.

JapanRon
a.k.a.tsurikichi
[signature]
[cool]Don't overdo it on the self-deprecation JR. You are a recognized and respected member of the floatation fraternity. You make many insightful and valuable contributions, based on real experience. That's what this site is all about and participation is always appreciated.

I hope to help the site grow by attracting more "donut dunkers" from around the country. I know Tincanfish from another board, in Utah, where I have been hanging around for quite awhile and referred him here to post some questions. So, when he asked about SL valley, I knew he meant Salt Lake, instead of maybe San Leandro or some other silly California area.

What I would like to encourage is to have everyone feel comfortable starting their own threads...by tossing out questions or concerns on specific issues and then letting it develop. Man, with our crazy sport there are a jillion topics we could be batting around, for everyone's benefit. Even if you toss out basic tackle and technique questions there are a bunch of things like we have just worked over...like fins, waders, rod racks, sonar, bait handling, etc.

C'mon readers. Who's got a good "what if" out there?
[signature]
[shocked] [#800000][size 2]Hey Pat, I use to coach football in Silly Andrew(San Leandro,CA). Not much in the way of fishing there, unless you count the bay.[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]tommy[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
[cool]You're right about the "no fishing zone". Course, it depends on what you are fishing for. If you're "trolling" for drugs...or other illicit activities...you can get your limit and then some. I used to live in Sacramento and had to do far more business in that area than I cared to. I much preferred the upper part of the bay for fishing and quality of life too.

Did you ever try eating a striper or flounder from the east bay? They smell and taste like they have been cooked in 30 weight oil, if they have spent any time in the refinery areas. Up in San Pablo, though, you can wear yourself out on sturgeon, stripers flounders and some big nasty sharks. But, that is definitely not float tube water. Major currents and big ocean going freighters running over you ain't conducive to quality flotation fishing.
[signature]