Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marjorie, Weir, and Long....
Spent the better part of yesteday with FishHound, my brother, and a friend of mine in the Uintas. We hiked into Marjorie first, just after dawn. The wx was perfect about 45* and a cloudless sky. We saw one soul hiking out. At Marjorie, the brookies were hitting like crazy, but we got alot of short strikes. I couldn't connect with a single fish. Not a grayling to be seen. The other three each caught a couple brookies.
At almost 1pm we hiked over to Weir. We finally saw other people, just a few as they hiked past. Not exactly the 'crowds' we were warned about, that's for sure. We started catching on Weir. For once, the flies they sold me at Sportsman's worked like a champ. Para Adams was the fly of choice, but the Renegade got its fair share of whacks. Fishhound caught on both spin and fly gear, and my brother and Nick caught on spin gear as well.
A couple hours and the bite turned off, so we hiked to Long. Not a damn thing biting there. We saw more people, but it still wasn't a huge crowd. On the way out, we saw more people, but not nearly what I was expecting.
The crystal lake trailhead parking lot was almost full. My best reckoning is that people were spreading out into the Uintas. Them's alot of mountains and its not hard to just keep walking, especially I'm guessing if you've got three or four days to get lost.
Here's a few pics.
[signature]
Beautiful pics! It sure is pretty up there. Sounds like the fishing wasn't very stellar though. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
I was at Buttterfly lake on the north slope today. I didn't catch anything but most people didn't . It was almost combat fishing from the shore, we were in a raft and had a blast We saw one guy cast like he was swinging a ball bat. He chucked his lure clear across the lake and stuck it in the top of a pine tree. He walked around the lake, climbed the tree and got his lure. LOL We left soon after that. Sounds llike we better hike a bit and really enjoy the peace and quiet of the hills.
[signature]
Those are some great pics . Thanks for sharing .
[signature]
Fantastic pix! Don't you just love the look of those brookies?
We plan to go up again ourselves in the next couple of weeks, as the leaves turn colors some more.
Thanks for sharing!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] Those pictures are fantastic, what camera did you use? That thing takes the clearest pictures I have seen in a long time, Great job. Oh and nice fish[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey JamisJockey,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Great trip ! Great fishing ! Great fun was had by all ! Everyone caught fish and seemed to be completely enjoying themselves. It was also nice that we had the whole lake to ourselves all morning. I was actually expecing to have a lot of company up there, but, that did not turn out to be the case. We were basically alone for most of the time we were up there. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I wasn't tired or sore the next day as I figured I would be. As you'll remember, I kept saying that I thought I would be suffereing the day after. But, for the first hike and fishing trip of the summer, I was pleasantly surprised that I had as little fatigue and stiffness as I experienced. [/size][/black]
[size 3][black]Thanx for letting me tag along ! I had a blast ! [/black][/size]
[signature]
I am also curious about your camera. Great pictures. About how cold did it get at night?
[signature]
Great high country photos
[signature]
[reply]
I am also curious about your camera. Great pictures. About how cold did it get at night? [/reply]

It's not a current model. It's about the equivilant of the FE130 IIRC. [url "http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1221"]http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1221[/url]
We didn't spend the night, but when we reached the trailhead at 0730, it was about 40*.
[signature]