Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WD40 ... ?
OKAY, DOES THIS STUFF REALLY WORK OR WHAT?

I'm talking about fishing. lol.

I saw a guy spraying some on his bait when I was at the berry, What's the deal here guys?
[signature]
never used it. I have heard it works. But when you got skillz, u don't need it[cool][Wink]
[signature]
I fish with a beadhead WD-40 and it works great [laugh][laugh]. I thought WD-40 was banned for use as a scent attractant in Utah. I have seen a lot of people use it while ice fishing, but I didn't notice a great increase in catch rate, but I have seen some caught on it.
[signature]
Its probably not the most ethical thing to put into the water system. But who knows, maybee powerbait and smelly jelly have the same effect. I never thought twice about dipping a grub in the smelly jelly, but now that I think about it, I am not aware that it is anymore environmentally friendly than WD-40.
[signature]
I almost lost my linch at sportsmans a couple weeks ago over smelly jelly.

*note to self, never put your nose right up to it and take a BIG wiff!!![crazy]
[signature]
[crazy] Two questions here. Teroy, did you expect to find some wonderous aroma wafting up from that little bottle of fishey stuff?

And, does anybody know what the jelly part of smelly jelly is made of? I always just thought it was petroleum jelly. Or is it something else?

Fishrmn
[signature]
Just so you know it works very very well. I have used it on catfish. I am not sure the technical reason for attracting fish with it. I think it has to do with the film or layer it leaves on the water. Needless to say that was when I was young and dont use it anymore. Didnt feel it was all that good for the water and fishery after awhile.
[signature]
I fished with a guy who used WD40, I didn't. We were trolling pop gear and a worm at Strawberry, pre-poisoned. He caught about 15 of the biggest chubs I've ever seen and one trout. I caught about 12 trout and 2-3 chubs. Never been temped to try WD40 since.
[signature]
I've been through this entire discussion once before on that other fishing site. I did some research and looked up the Material Safety Data Sheet on WD-40. It is listed as an ORGANIC SUBSTANCE. It does have petrolium distillates, but I think you would put more raw and burnt fuel into the water by running your boat long enough to warm it up, then you would by spraying an entire can of WD on your fishing lure. The exact recipe for WD is a well guarded secret, but,most of the old info I found on it referred to an old fisherman that discovered he never had rust in his bilge, where the cod oil drained and floated on water.
And now you know "the rest of the story" or at least all I could find out about it.

walleyebob
[signature]
This is what consumer protection agency has to say about petroleum distillates which WD-40 has.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission ("CPSC" or "Commission") has reason to believe that child-resistant packaging may be needed to protect children from serious illness or injury from products that contain either petroleum distillates or other hydrocarbons or combinations of these ingredients.

Apparantly CPSC thinks there might be something harmful with hydrocarbons etc.
[signature]
[blue][size 2]I've heard a lot of people say that that WD-40 has shark oil in it. I'm not sure I believe it--not sure I even care because I personally would never use it.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]I've also heard of people using Preparation-H on their baits. I'd like to hear the story of how that was first discovered! [shocked] But again, I wouldn't use that on my baits either, even if I has a serious case of the 'roids.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]I've also heard of people having success with baits that have been sitting in their oily bilge.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]What I've also heard is that that this crap isn't so much an attractant as it is a mask of human odors. And I tend to subscribe to this theory. Personally, I rarely use scent attractants, but I'm not above it as long as it isn't harmful to the environment. I am a fan, however, of PowerBait, Exude, and Yamamoto plastics. And I try to be aware of and minimize the "human scent" element.[/size][/blue]
they even use it here , as an attractant , rod cleaner , de-icer for your rod guides , ( i use chap-stick for the guides, rod guides that is [Tongue] .) but , i havent seen anyone put some in there mouth . so why put it in your food sourse ? yuch !
[signature]
[#ff0000]Well, I don't know about fishing with the stuff but if you ever get bored just put the long plastic nozzle on it, light a bic and push the button for one great blow torch guaranteed to occupy the weak mind. Works great on cockroaches. If it didn't attract fish I could still see it's alternate benefit at Willard with those 50 bazillon little black bugs that hang around the south marina. [/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][/#ff0000]
[signature]