Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fat Cat Vs SFC . which one?
So if you had the opertunity to buy either at 20% off but it had to me right now. Which would you pick. Storage volume of teh SFC is nice but i wonder if the seating position difference is that significant. anybody with a fat cat wich they had upgraded to SFC?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As you have probably figured out, the only difference between the regular Fat Cat and the SFC is the seat. The former has a hard foam seat and the latter has the inflated seat...at a higher price.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have both. TubeBabe uses the Fat Cat and I use (and curse) the SFC. After the first year (warranty) I have had constant problems with leaks in the inflatable seat. I have fished from the Fat Cat and find it to be just as comfortable as a (working) inflated seat SFC.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can't imagine upgrading a Fat Cat to a SFC, but I have been tempted often to scrap the inflated seat on my SFC and just go with foam.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Dave,

Check "your ride " on "the bass pond". TubeDude is the fellow I alluded to being less than satisfied with the inflatable seats.
[signature]
I would definitely go with the Fat Cat. I have never found the seat to slip me forward. What it did do was tend to collapse backwards because the backrest was too wimpy. However,the snug fitting foam allowed me to securely install a PVC backrest support and I have had zero problems (and backaches) all this summer. I am the biggest puncture spaz around and the air filled seat was something I just didn't want to mess with. It also is $60-70 less than the SFC.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey TubeDude,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Ya know, I keep hearing that the difference between the FC4 and SFC is mostly the foam vs. inflateable seat(I know there are some others as well). [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]When I got my tube, I didn't know anything about tubes, and I really didn't shop around and look at float tube features or anything. I had just heard that Outcast made good ones. And, because of the obvious advantages I could conjure up in my mind of a tube over my old heavy pontoon boat, I could see a real use for a float tube. I liked the fact that the FC4 was really light weight and portable. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Here's the odd thing; I must have the only FC4 on the planet that has an inflatable seat. I've not had any problem with it in all of the years that I have had it, so there is complaint on my part about it. But either I got the el-supremo odd-ball of Outcast, or at one time(way back when I got mine) it must have either been an option, or Outcast decided for some reason to go with the foam seats on the FC4. Then again, I've also never seen another grey FC4 like mine either. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Do you know anything about this ? Did I get a prototype that escaped into the world of retail somehow ? [/size][/black]
[signature]
[cool]"Ya know, I keep hearing that the difference between the [#ff0000]FC4 and SFC[/#ff0000] is mostly the foam vs. inflateable seat(I know there are some others as well)."

[#0000ff]You have your models mixed. The Fish Cat and Fat Cat are entirely different. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have a Fish Cat with inflatable seats you got the Fish Cat Deluxe. They still make and sell those. Same thing as Fat Cats. The inflatable seat costs more.[/#0000ff]

[url "http://www.riverwire.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=FC4-D#"][Image: FC4-D.jpg]
[/url] [size 1]
[/size] [size 2]
Size:
[/size] [size 2]54 x 44[/size] [size 2]
Anchor System:
[/size] [size 2]N/A[/size] [size 2]
Capacity:
[/size] [size 2]275 lbs.[/size] [size 2]
Weight:
[/size] [size 2]14 lbs.[/size]
[size 2]
Description:
[/size]
[size 2]
The Deluxe version of the Fish Cat 4 has the same features as the standard version, but is improved by the more comfortable air seat and seat back. Like all Outcast float tubes, the design is unique in that it gives you above (or on top of) the water seating vs. suspending half your body in the water like most tubes.
[/size]
[signature]
[black][size 3]TD,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I'm Confused ? By now, that should not be a revealation/surprise to you - after all, you do know me(although, I would certainly understand if you didn't admit to it). [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Wow, I got something that's Deluxe. I'm feeling kind of special now. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Like I said, at the time when I bought it, I would not have appreciated the differrence if I had known it. If I remember correctly, I bought the only one in the store, and they told me it had sat there for over a year as the display model(it was winter - the off season). Consequently, I got the sweet deal - I think it was less than $100 and came with some el-cheapo nearly non-functional flippers, but, it didn't come with a pump or patch kit(I already had those anyway). [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That's okay, Bro. They all sound (look) alike. That's prejudice for ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In float tubes, as in other things in life, it is easy to become Confused. Heck, I was born in the state of Confusion...right next to the state of Hysteria...under the sign "Watch your step".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hey, are you back in town for good (or bad)? The kitties are prowlin' and they demand a rematch for the whuppin' we put on them last year. Gonna be some glassy-eyed monsters available soon too. Do you still fish or just pop in on this board to stir things up?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Bro,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Yup, I'm back in town or good/bad/ugly. And, I've already had one fishing outing in the Uintas(with JamisJockey and a couple of others). My first fishing trip of the summer.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I still fish, though I will continue to pop in to stir things up when I can.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Sounds good. Let's get out on of these first days when the opportunity presents it'self and our dance cards free up, and look into some eyes and whiskers. Although, you might have to remember me how to do all that fishing stuff. My summer sabatical from fishing was the longest time I've spent away from my gear - and it all looks foreign to me now.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Fishhound, if you got the Deluxe FC4 for under a $100, you should turn yourself in. That's about 1/2 price and near robbery. Heck, I'd loose some weight and buy one for myself at that price![sly]

TD, as you explain, and I have recently learned ( mostly at riverwire.coms FC review)_there are currently 2 series of CAT tubes in the Outcast line up. The fishcat 4 and fishcat 4 deluxe are same except for the mentioned air filled seat and price. Then there is the larger, fancier Fat Cat and Super Fat Cat ( same comment applies.) However, in my research, I got somewhat Confused if looking at older reviews and posts. It seems that when they had the Fat Cat 66 /66S model names, there was no inflatable seats yet they still called what appears to be todays foam seated Fat cat the "super fat cat". Not real relevant right now but do you know if they had only two tubes ( like todays FishC4 and FatC)a few years back and what they were called? It almost sounds like todays FC4 was called the origonal FatC and todays Fat Cat was the Super Fat Cat. ( Refering to it's size?)
Anyway, Great tube but a confusing model line up.[unsure]

In any case, the deed is done. After much tossing and trning over the ODC 420/FC/SFC decision, I pulled the trigger and ordered a spanking new Fat Cat ( Mustard, foam seat, NIB, $239 delivered) today. Thanks for your patience and help!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]It has been a long time since we got ours. Mine the longest. I got the Fat Cat that has mesh in the back and a styro seat. It also has the tube type valves that require a small tube on the pump to inflate. The ol' man bought his a year or two later which is the Super Fat Cat (for the weight capasity). His has the vinyl behind the seat and thicker foam for the butt section. Both have the Urythane bladders, but his has the Halkey valves. He later bought the Escalade, which is more like the SFC's you guys have with inflatable seat, but it has a front on the tube (looks like a kayakwith a place for your feet to use a paddle). He doesn't care for the back of the seats. Says they fold when you lean against tem so he put plexi glass in. I have never had any problem with mine.[/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you were able to arrive at a decision. Sounds like you went for quality and size. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Let us know if you need any input on getting it properly pimped out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I first started looking at the Fat Cat line in about Y2k (2000). Not sure what they had before then. I saw them on the water in a couple of spots I fished in Arizona and looked them over pretty good. I did not pay much attention to the seat variations, but liked the overall design and the big pockets. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got tired of muscling around my Kennebec in March of 2003 and bought my SFC. I immediately decided that I did not like the low back seat or the wimpy design that didn't provide much support. I also rebelled at the "postage stamp" mesh apron. I have made a grundle of experiments and modifications since, to try to get them right. Still working on them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I initially enjoyed the inflated seats. You could adjust them to get just the degree of comfort you wanted. Then, after about a year, my bottom seat deflated during a fishing trip. I found myself sitting low in the water and the two sides of the tube closing in on me. Not good. I removed the inflatable seat, found a leak on one of the seams on the top of the seat, repaired it and put it back in. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]From that point on, I never knew whether I was going to have a "well-seated" fishing trip or not. I had to remove and repair that sucker after about every other trip. One by one, all of the ends of the seams on the corrugated seat developed pinhole leaks. They would not hold air through a morning of fishing. Even with Aquaseal on them, some of the repairs worked loose over time so that I have had to re-repair some of those holes several times. Right now, there is not a single seam end that has not leaked.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have tried every kind of "jury-rigged" seat you can imagine...including substituting foam, adding contour plastic chairs, etc. Many things work but either leave me sitting too high or too far forward...or are too restrictive.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am looking for a new ride too. I will probably get a new Fat Cat, but will do so knowing that there will be "refinements" necessary. I can deal with the backrest and the apron if I have a good firm seat. If I find it too firm, I can always slip a foam cushion between the tube cover and the foam seat. Actually, I have plenty of "padding" already and have fished from TubeBabe's foam seat Fat Cat, so I know I can live with that part.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Before I make a decision, I plan to do some more personal research. I will post up anything new and wonderful I stumble upon. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hey Goddess Lady, where is the closest place I could go to look at some of the Venture goodies?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Either at "the Fly Desk" Dennis Brakke or her name is Carol Olsen and she lives in Brigham.
If we could ever hook up, I would let you try mine, but you would have to rig up a moble rod holder to try on it.
You say when and I am there.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Flyfishingmoose is trying to get up a perch fishing gathering and fish fry at Jordanelle. That might be a good place for "show and tell". We will announce it when we can work out a schedule.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
COUNT ME THERE![cool]
[signature]