Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
island lake near duluth
Does anyone know how the fish are biting at island lake. I will be up there next weekend and was hoping to catch a few walleye.
[signature]
I was on island lake about 2 weeks ago. 2 of us caught our limits of walleyes and threw alot more small ones back. Even the ones we kept were not real impressive, mostly between 15 and 17 inches. I have always been told that there are some real big hog walleyes in there, but have not caught one myself yet. I also talked to someone who was out there last friday and they said that caught alot of real small ones but only a couple of keepers.

I don't know if you are staying specifically on island lake, but if you are not and are will to drive a bit I have been told that the walleye bite on whiteface has been excellent lately and that is about 30 minutes north of island lake. Also I heard fish lake right near there has been producing.

If you are fishing deeper water you should use leeches on a floating jig about 1.5 feet up from the sinker. If you are in 14 feet or less I would recommend #5 shad raps 6-9 foot divers in a firetiger pattern.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
[signature]
Hey Ryan, thanks alot for your help. This is the first time in about 10 years ive been able to make it up to Mn to go fishing. Ill let you know how we do.
[signature]