Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why GPS?
I know that GPS systems are used for geocaching, marking hot fishing holes in lakes, and for not getting too lost in the hills, but what other reasons do you have for using a GPS unit?
[signature]
Finding nice hunting holes at 4AM! I also use mine as a tripmeter, both while hiking and riding ATV's. My PDA coverts into a GPS with the 7.5 minute USGS maps, using Maptech's Pocket Navigator/Terrain Navigator Pro, and that is really nice for following contour lines, and seeing just where you are on the map! I can load just about every map in the state onto my SD card, and it will put you within 10 feet of where you are! Very handy indeed. Mice goes with me pretty much all the time when hunting/fishing. Marking downed game in the dark is also very helpful. Sometimes I wonder how I lived without one.
[signature]
I use my GPS mainly for checking my speed against what my ff says.I also have marked a few honey holes with it.Not much of a chance of getting lost on the gorge.
[signature]
Very good for keeping you off underwater reefs, points, rocks etc. while boating in what looks like open water. Powell is a prime example.

Also night navigation at Dark of the Moon when it's pitch black out.
[signature]
Mine sure came in handy when the group I was with got caught in a blizzard on Fish Lake while ice fishing. We literally would have driven the sleds in circles trying to get back to the vehicle if it hadn't been for the GPS. Had to do at least two trips to get everything and everybody back to the vehicle too so it would have been tough to find the ice holes and the remaining members of the party for the subsequent trips. It's saved my but in the fog a few times too.
[signature]
The gps i have is a pile, so all i use mine for is speed while fishing.Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't even find a sat.
[signature]
Too bad its a pile. If it was mearly a piece I could have added my piece and together they would be a pile, bit since you already have a pile....[Tongue]
[signature]
I had an old piece of garbage Magellan that would never work right. Finally, my wife bought a Garmin for $200 bucks for Geo-Caching.

I started using it to map my dads hunt boundaries on his LE hunt. I go to topozone.com, click a spot that I am interested in and it gives me the coords.

Many times boundaries are not well defined by fence lines and other markers. This specific unit has a lot of private and BLM land. It is nice to know where I am at!

I don't know how I ever did without it. Some of the best money I ever spent.

If you want a good entry level GPS, that will mark trips, speed.... You can buy a Garmin for around a $100 at Sportsmans.

They are DEFINATELY worth more than they cost!
[signature]