Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation 9-7-06 (WH2 & MacGuyver too)
[cool][#0000ff]As we drove into the Starvation main launch area about 7:30 AM, WiperHunter2 informed me that we "had no anchor", and that he "hoped we don't need one". Seems he lost his on Jordanelle the day before. Well, I had no PVC to work with so I improvised. Found a big piece of flat rock that I rigged a four-way "basket tie" on and we had our anchor. Piece of pie (rock).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Next challenge...dead battery on sonar. You need sonar on Starvation. So, we connected the sonar to the main battery. It worked fine except when we ran the main motor. Too much interference. But, we had sonar.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Third challenge? Only after we were out on the water did we discover that the key to the truck...door and ignition...had broken off inside the ignition. And...we had used the automatic door lock to lock the truck before we hit the water. WH2 admitted that had happened before, but developed a permanent wrinkle in his brow as he dreaded the thought of calling his wife to bring a spare key. Oh well, we could deal with that later. Time to go fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Started out with an offshore (westerly) breeze. No white caps but too brisk for a slow drift. We shut down the main motor and used the electric to cruise some of the more likely areas, watching the sonar for signs of fish. In and out, from 10 feet to 25 feet. Not much showing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The breeze died down a bit so we motored up into Rabbit Gulch and checked several areas there...drifting over several previously productive spots. Had several "rattle rattle" hits from small perch and I boated a 9 incher. That was it for the first hour.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Motored over to an area just out from the RG camping area and saw fish in a couple of spots. Dropped the rock (anchor) in 12 feet of water, planning to lift and drift until we found productive water. Immediately got into small perch...bunches of them. I caught a "see-gar" (small wallie) and WH2 also got one about the same size...along with the only smallie of the day...about 9 inches.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We both rerigged with some of my new glitter white dart head baitbugs and for several minutes we put large perch into the cooler. Looked like we were going to have a decent day after all. WH2 brought in a nice one and wanted to measure it. I told him that it was 10 3/4 inches. He didn't believe me and measured anyway. With a silly grin he admitted that I had been right on. Pure lucky guess.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After that we caught nothing over about 8 inches. Bunches of bitty perch but no more fillet size. We lifted (the rock) and drifted a few times out into deeper water, and moved around to several other spots in Rabbit Gulch without finding more fish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, we cranked up the big motor and ran up to the mouth of the Strawberry River. I was once again impressed with how much the area looked like some places I had been on Powell. Very interesting geology. We had seen some ospreys at work in RG, but near the inlet we saw a manmade osprey nesting tower on top of the ridge (see pic).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We motored and drifted around several spots in the Strawberry arm, at different depths. Couldn't find any concentrations of fish, and the promised breezes were kicking up, as big clouds built in the skies all around us. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]WH2 kept whimpering and whining about his concern for being able to get back in the truck and having to call his wife to bring a key. He was wondering if there might be a way to pop the fastener on the sliding rear window of the truck and to reach in to trip the door lock. I perceived that his attention to fishing was fading fast, as the wind was building, so I suggested we head for the dock and devote our energies to getting in the truck.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Out came the Leatherman all purpose tool and WH2 dusted off his juvenile delinquent skills at breaking and entering. He heaved a mighty sigh of relief as the catch popped free and he slid the back window open. Only problem was that it was a small space and neither of us could get much of our (ample) anatomy inside. MacGuyver showed up again to suggest using the butt section of a stout trolling rod to reach up and push the unlock button on the door. Anticipating that the alarm would go off (it did), I was waiting beside the drivers side door with the broken key. When the door opened (and the alarm went off), I quickly jumped inside and started the truck with the broken key. The alarm quieted and two anxious old dudes began to breathe easier.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I finally got to meet WH2 after sharing a five year cyber-friendship that goes back to the old UtahFishFinder days, before BFT. We long ago decided we had a lot in common (wordy and chatty) and might get along pretty good as fishing buddies. We were right. Had a great time, in spite of all the "challenges". Heck, what would a fishing trip be without something to make it a memorable trip. Nobody likes to read a report that says "Went fishing, caught fish, went home".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
All you need now is the theme music to the A-team! Sounds like an interesting day. At least you guys didn't have to scrap the whole trip!
[signature]
Pat, I fished Starvation eariler this summer. We were on the South side of the bridge. I was told to follow the East shore line to a cove that is about 1000 yards South of the bridge. The fishing was good there for Perch and Walleye.Also a lot of small Bass.
Do you know what that area is called? There is a private launch on the South side that belongs to Camper World. I am a member and that is where we stayed and launched.
That was my first time fishing at Starvation.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I know where you mean, but do not know the name of that camp area. There are several coves (big and small) along the south shoreline, between the State Park and the bridge. At one time or another, all of them can be productive.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You really have to spend a lot of time on Starvation, throughout an entire year of good water conditions, to really get a feel for it. There are so many different types of bottom contour and shoreline structure that the fish really have a lot of choices of where they hang out. Sometimes you will find them schooled on the flats. Other times they group along underwater points. Sometimes they are up inside the coves and still other times they are all on outside walls and steep slopes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Besides knowing a bit about the species you are after, you need to know the lake contours and have a good sonar to be able to find the fish. As most of us have found, the location and the "pattern" can change from day to day...or even during the same day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That being said, most Starvation fans have their own special spots that often hold fish and can usually be counted on to give up a few. However, during the "transition" times of spring and fall, they can be hard to find. When water levels and/or temperatures are raising or dropping the fish sometimes move out away from their customary spots into deeper water to wait out the changes. Or, if they stay in the same places, you can see them on sonar but have trouble catching them when they are in a neutral or negative mode.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All in all, Starvation is a great lake to learn and practice different techiques for walleyes and smallmouth. It is a great water for big perch and lots of perch too, but the perch are not nearly as much of a challenge as the other two species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With all of the increased fishing for "warm water species", the brown trout in Starvation are sometimes overlooked. They are starting to become more active with the cooler weather and there are still lots of them in the lake...and some BIG fish too. If you know how to wash lures (troll) you can get some dandy browns for the next couple of months.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you need a map of Starvation, the FISH n MAP CO. has a combo map of Starvation, Scofield and Rockport on sale at most good tackle outlets for under $5. It is pretty detailed, showing depths and contours, but does not name all of the little nooks and crannies on each lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the report Pat.. Sounds like a interesting day. [Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, as I often say INTERESTING is an "interesting" word.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I couldn't help thinking while we were anchored off Rabbit Gulch, catching only a few small perch, that if I had been in my float tube I could have probably found more fish. I was remembering our last trip and how we had to hunt for them, and only found one really good group. If we hadn't found those, and marked them with the buoy, we might not have had such a good haul.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The fish are still there. You just have to be good...and lucky...good and lucky...to find them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I think Curt is having a good vacation, he's making his rounds around all the lakes. I fished with him tuesday at deer creek, fishcrazy fished with him wed. at jordanelle and with you at starvation. sounds like too much fun. later chuck
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, he must be a real masochist to invite so many reprobates into his boat in one week. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good on him, though. He deserves some more fishing after dealing with the health thing for so long.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We love ya, Man.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
what a fun trip. hey pat did you graph under the bridge next to the first pole? or along the shelf infront of that litle west bay? they should have moved up on it by now. also another good spot this time is strait out from the main ramp in about 60 foot. they stack up there big time most yrs.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We did not do much serious prospecting. We couldn't run the sonar with the big motor on and we couldn't make much headway with just the electric against the wind. In the short time we fished we did not do a very serious job of scoping out ALL the good spots. There is a lot of lake there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You will have to take me out and show me some of those spots sometime.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
can do old buddy. its almost prime time. end of sept threw nov is big eye time.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I've got some hot new jig designs and colors to trade for guide service.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come to think of it, you and I have been yammerin' about goin' fishin' for a long time and still haven't got 'er done either.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
A few of those shoreline pics ,looks alot like the blackfork arm of the gorge.Glad ya had a fun outting .Like you said what fun is it to read "went fishing ,caught fish,went home"?
[signature]
Great story Pat, I'm not sure I remember it just like that but it sure makes the report a lot more interesting[Wink]. I do want to thank you for not telling me about the broken key until the catching slowed down[Tongue]. I'm not sure I could have enjoyed the morning as much if I was worried about how we were going to get home. The way the morning started off I was thinking it was going to be a bad day, I'm sure glad we found some big perch and a lot of little ones that wanted to play. After all these years I'm glad we finally got to make that first fishing trip and I'm looking forward to the next one. Thanks for awesome day on the water with the "Great one", it was quite a trip.[Smile]
[signature]