Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 9-9-06 ALL DAY LONG lots of gas
I fished willard today from about 10:00am to 8:00pm. I had a friend and his two sons, I didn't take any of my daughters because they were tired from the fishing the day before.

First we launched at south marina. This was my friends first time in my new boat so we headed to the weedy area south of the north marina. We started trolling a bit away and by the time we got to the good area the trolling motor ran out of gas (guess I should have checked before we left). It wouldn't be a fishing trip with me unless I did something beyond stupid. So I fired up the main motor and trolled with it for a few passes. On the first pass we picked up a double and then turned around and got a single. Then we headed back to the south marina so we could get gas.

When we filled it up again we headed back to our spot and apperantly the wipers didn't wait for us. We headed back to the feed lot area after some time at the first spot. We trolled all the way down the feed lot south to the south dike. We picked up three more on the way. Half way down the south dike, yep ran out of gas again so back to the main motor and back to the marina. This time we loaded up the boat and filled up the kicker and more gas for the main motor. Then back to willard we went. Did some more trolling and picked up two more wipers.

We didn't see anyone else bring in any fish so I am not real sure how anyone else was doing. At the end of the day there were some guys in a boat that was cruising up and down the dike right next to everyone. I think they were looking for boils but the chop was too bad. It was funny when we picked up one of the last fish for the day cause as soon as we left the area there were about 3 boats trying to get into the area they saw us pick up the fish.

I finally got the stink off my new boat. These were the first fish in it for me.

Good luck all!!
[signature]
Sounds like your trolling motor is a gas HAWG! I'll bet Exxon was the last one to give it tune up![Wink] Thanks for the report.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Penny,

Sounds like your event filled day was worth the effort.

Since those wipers can be choosy about lures and time of day, I was just wondering what you caught them on and when.

Thanks for the good report.[/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]
wow odd to run out of gas 2 times in one day? how big is the tank on your trolling motor?

the tank on my motor (portable tank that is) i can run my trolling motor for 5 or 6 day's strate 10 to 12 hours a day with out running out of gas..

sounds like y'all had a good time of it tho! great report..
[signature]
The first three fish we caught were at about 10:30-11:00 and the rest were after possibly 2:00. We were using mainly shad colored diving crankbaits and one I was using was crappie pattern diving rapalla. I figure we were running about 8' deep cause that is about the point when you could tell that the bait was hitting the bottom.

The gas problem could have been because the wind and chop was pushing the motor. Its a 9.5 horse and we had to keep it almost full throttle to keep us going 3 mph.

Question. Do most of you trim up your motor when you run your trolling motor? I am boating stupid, never been around boats much. I just thought that mabey the outdrive is causeing too much drag.
[signature]
That is alot of gas for a 9.5. I have a 9.9 merc and can fish the gorge for two full days at 3 mph in the wind on 3 gallons. But this is also a 4 stroke two strokes don't do quit as good. As far raising the outdrive on the big motor this would help unless it is below freezing outside then you better leave it submerged.

Bodine
[signature]
I had a problem like that on my main motor and thought it was just sucking a lot of gas. I finally took it to Lee's marina and found that the float was out of adjustment in one of the carbs. It not only got better gas mileage but the motor ran better after the adjustment.
[signature]