Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is going on?
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][Wink]Went into my favorite Fly store to purchase a can of WD40. Just couldn't figure out why they would carry this product for they sell the regular fly line dressing. [Tongue]Well guess what they showed me a bunch of flies that also go by the same name. Which brings me to this question. Has anyone had any success with a WD40 fly? Hear that they work quite well on the Green.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=18495;]
[signature]
They also work very well and are popular on the Provo River in Utah
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I agree, they are deadly on the Provo. WD means Wood Duck which is what the tail is.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I fish size 22's behind a dry and they slay. Add a little flash for a wing case and GOLD.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I put the WD40 on the top of my fly list. I also first heard of it at the Green River. It is a great fly to use in tandom with a larger nymph in front of it.
Another great fly that I was introduced to at the Green is an RS2.
Who can post a picture of it here?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple][size 3]The RS2 is deadly. You have got to think small on these and try different colors. Rim Chung had a winner with this:[/size][/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple][size 3][/size][/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple][size 3][inline RS2.jpg][/size][/purple][/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Oops the RS2 is still showing it's fang or I should say it's barb.[Wink][/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I didn't tie this one, I found the picture on line. Around here the rivers mostly don't require barbless.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I will admit, when I fish 22 and smaller, I don't always de-bard. The hooks usually come out easy enought.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Ah to be young again to actually see the eye of a 22 or smaller.[Wink][/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
I use the wd40 on the weber in the winter for white fish and it does me well. Also the south fork in the spring for a trailer.
[signature]
Yes, I used the WD40 (and RS2) in the Blue River in Colorado, on the Silkverhope in BC and on Rocky Creek in Montana (about 30 minutes East of Missoula). Like any fly: when they work, they work great.

What I'm wondering is why would they carry that spray stuff. I wouldn't want to use it as a fly-line dressing since most petroleum-based products are he** on the coating. And it's too runny to be effectively used as a lubricant for a fly reel - better to use a high quality "stiff" grease.

Goes into the category: Things that make you go "Hmm?"
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][Wink]Sometimes it seems like my levity is being taken for the gospel. The first part of my comment above was all in fun as a lead into the second part. Probably should have also included Mickey.
[/size][/green][/font][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=18557;]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I have met people that do use the spray on their flies, kinda like chewing tabaco and then spitting on the fly. They swear it works.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]To me I try to consolidate with either my fanny pack or a vest and a can is not invited.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]That has been a big argument round here with the trash found by the rivers, Bait chuckers say that fly fishers leave garbage also (which could be true) but the ones I fish with are all self contained with the water bottle in the fanny pack or the back of a vest. We don't leave bottles (salmon eggs or power puddy) and we don't leave styro containers.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]There are exceptions to the rule of course.[/black][/font]
[signature]
[Sad][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Unfortunately some people have never heard of the expression that "what you bring in you take out". I always make a point to pick up some trash that I found lying around and place it in the proper disposal bin. Sometimes I will even find garbage laying next to a trash bin. Was it too much trouble to place it in the bin? These are probably the same folks that clean out their vehicles in a parking lot. Can just imagine what their own property must look like![/size][/green][/font]
[signature]