Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muskie fishing regulations meetings announced
Muskie fishing regulations meetings announced (2006-09-13)

Public meetings on proposals to increase the minimum length for muskellunge on three lakes and two rivers in Koochiching and St. Louis Counties will be held on September 19 in Orr, September 20 in Littlefork and September 29 in St. Paul, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) International Falls Area Fisheries Office.

The public input open house will give the public an opportunity to learn more about the proposals and provide comments on special fishing regulations proposed for Crane Lake, Shoepack Lake, Little Shoepack Lake, Littlefork River and Bigfork River in St. Louis and Koochiching Counties. The Orr open house will be held on Tuesday, September 19, 2006, from 7 – 9 PM, at the Orr City office building located near the intersection of Highway 53 and County Road 23. The Littlefork open house will be held on Wednesday, September 20, 2006, from 7 – 9 pm, at the Littlefork Community Building, 220 Main Street, Littlefork, Minnesota. Both meetings will follow the open house format, with DNR staff on hand to provide information, answer questions and take input on the proposals. A 10-day public comment period will follow each open house and will terminate on September 30, 2006.

The following regulation change proposals will be open for comment:

* Crane Lake - increase muskellunge minimum length limit from 40 inches to 48 inches

* Shoepack Lake - increase muskellunge minimum length limit from 30 inches to 40 inches

* Little Shoepack Lake - implement a muskellunge minimum length limit of 40 inches

* Littlefork River - increase muskellunge minimum length limit from 40 inches to 48 inches

* Bigfork River - increase muskellunge minimum length limit from 40 inches to 48 inches

A similar public input open house will be held in the DNR Central Office Building in St. Paul, MN, on September 29, 2006 from 8 am to 4:30 pm, for the same regulation proposals. A 10-day public comment period will follow the meeting and will terminate on October 9, 2006.

Comments may be written at the open houses or mailed to (September 30 deadline) International Falls Area Fisheries Headquarters, 392 Highway 11 East, International Falls, MN 56649; or (October 9th deadline) DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife, Box 12, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4012. Comments will also be accepted by telephone at 218-286-5220 or Email to kevin.peterson@dnr.state.mn.us .

For more information, contact: Kevin E. Peterson, DNR Area Fisheries Supervisor, 218-286-5220
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2006 Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Copyright Notice.
[signature]
I wish they would raise the Minimum in Lake vermillion to 48 inches also. Actually I wish it was minimum of 48 inches everywhere because I don't think people really fish muskies for food, moreso just to have something to put on the wall.
[signature]
I wholeheartedly agree. Anything at least 48" is truly a trophy. If you want to keep it, fine. But I'm all for getting lots of pics and measurements and having a replica made.
[signature]