Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanted! Your Boating Safety Tips
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]With the recent drowning in Bear Lake I think it would be an appropreiate time to reflect on how dangerous our sport can be. I am asking that everyone help me make a list of safety recommendations and tips that can help each one of us be better and safer participants, based on our experiences. If everyone can try and put down just one boat or water safety tip maybe we can help educate a less experienced BFT'er and avoid another tragedy. Also maybe one misfortune can help others avoid the same fate. So, since I'm first I'm taking the easiest but most important.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 6]Wear a [#ff0000]PFD[/#ff0000] or [#ff0000]P[/#ff0000]ersonnal [#ff0000]F[/#ff0000][#000000]lo[/#000000]tation [#ff0000]D[/#ff0000]evice. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 5](edit) think about attaching a plastic whistle and a cheap stainless dive knife to you PFD. For obvious reasons the whistle can save your bacon. If you are floating at night and the search boats are out, they can miss you by 50 yards and never hear your screams for help. Also a readily accessible knife can be an invaluable tool in an emergency. Besides it looks really cool hanging there and makes you look like you know what you're doing![Wink][/size][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]Be Safe out there![/size][/font][/center]
[signature]
[#800000][size 3] PFD's, the Bass has its fishermen wear their pfds when the big engine is running. I make everyone in my boat wear one.[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3] The other day BLM said something about "tethering" oneself when fishing alone. I've given this alot thought since then. There been a few times when I should of tied a little extra rope to my belt. Ya see, this reminds me of when I did a little ghostboat launching last fall at Jordanelle. If I just tethered my boat to the trailer, the ranger wouldn't have to take out to my boat as it drifted away. Also, graphite and lightenening don't mix. [/size][/#800000]
[signature]
Well, this might not be a saftey issue, except under the worst circumstances. Make sure that your boat key, and your truck key each have a P.F.D. as well. Also, take along a tool kit, or a radio or cell phone. And, speaking from experience, when your friend says that he checked and that there's enough gas in the tank, make him pull over and gas it up anyways.
[signature]
This may sound stupid coming from a guy named IceFishingGod but, extra bilge pump. I always keep an extra pump rigged with alligator clips in case the one I have quits. Make sure it's the submersable type with a built in filter and a fairly high volume out put. Put an extra long hose on it. Even if you have a small boat you never know when the waves will come up in a freak storm, even on smaller lakes. Not only has this rig saved my butt once it helped out several others on the water. I hope you never need it but like all safety gear you may wish you'd spent the $80.00 instead of losing your boat or worse. I know I was only supposed to post one but I can't resist, I'm trying to beat TubeDude in the longest average post contest. (Pred tells me you all are giving away Llamas to the winner). If you, like BLM, fish the open water in the cold, think about neopreme total body underwear. Its warm, keeps you afloat and will keep you alive in very cold water. When I was younger I worked the commercial boats out of Connecticut and it was standard issue. Now they have survival suits which are expensive, over a grand a piece. You can pick up a set of neos for under $200.00. They'll keep you alive in really cold water much longer, without them you've got 10 minutes MAX. If you think I'm wrong talk to a SCUBA diver.

Remember, the best piece of saftey equipment you can have is your brain. I didn't realize this until my son (BEAN) was old enough to fish with me. I used to take too many chances until he was with me. Now, if I have to think twice about what I'm about to do, I go home and bore the hell out of my wife. She'd miss me, afterall, who would take care of the Llamas?

IFG
it may sound stupid because most of us would recive a brused ego , but in a real emergency situation proves invaluable , a banner with the words i need help on it in large letters . i was once on the detroit river and lost the engine ,( bad gas ) i ended up in lake erie down by monroe before getting some assistance from a fellow angeler , many an boat i passed on my voyage down . blinking my lights and blowing the horn had no effect in getting any help . i had even been waving my shirt in the air . no help at all .
personal flotation devices are number one though , a cell phone or marine radio number two . being able to get help when needed is top priority , every second counts !
[signature]
Realize that you've got a bomb riding along with you. The gasoline you're carrying. Respect it.

I can't tell you how many times I've looked out over Bear Lake from my property only to see a boat on fire. It's particularly important to vent your engine compartment on an inboard before you start it.
[signature]
Always carry spare battery long rope and horn.I have towed boats new and old with my 1966 fiberglass boat. i learned my lesson once and that was enough.I had boats pass me by and not even bother to help! If i see someone in need i won't think twice about helping them.
[signature]
Always pay attention to the weather,most of the time you can tell when them storms are heading your way.Dont stay out there untill the waves are coming over the back,get the heck out of there!!M.H.
[signature]
the u.s. coastguard ( u.s. debt. of transportation ) has a free pamplet called "federal requirements and saftey tips for recreational boats " 1-800-368-5647 or [url "http://www.uscgboating.org"]www.uscgboating.org[/url] ,

issued free from the michigan d.n.r.in michigan we have "the handbook! of michigan boating laws and responsibilites " 1-517-373-1230 or [url "http://www.michigandnr.com"]www.michigandnr.com[/url]

both booklets are free for the asking , and worth asking for .

tube dude sent me a chapter from his book about different types of water and the challenges to look out for , i'm sure he would make that info availible to you members as well , he's a funny guy , but not when it comes to saftey . great tips too !
[signature]
[blush] [#800000][size 3]The code of the Sea is to pickup anyone that is stranded or of a need of help. I have been towed back to the marina a few times. And, I don't hesitate to help someone in need. [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3][/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3]I was at Jordanelle last June when I saw this guy with his engine on fire. Two other boats and myself headed to him and offered our fire existinguishers. Afterward, I wonder how smart that would of been if his boat exploded. Oh well, such is life.[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3]tommy[/size][/#800000]

[signature]
Obviosly carry the required saftey items, they can be found in the proclaimation. But, I have learned through expirience a few things. Fuses, carry extras. Tons of things can cause you to blow a fuse, and without an extra, you may be without your bilge, lights, or ablilty to start your engine. Next, clean up after yourself. I cant remember how many times I have been in skeeters freaking jet boat and had sharp or fairly heavy and hard objects wiz past my head. You need a windshiled skeeter. How would you like to get hit in the head with a 3/4 full soda can while doing 65 mph? Or even get stuck in the face by a VMC in a tube jig that was carlessly left on a casting deck and forgotten about. Also use snippers to cut your line. Using your teeth caused rainbow sparkle to get a treble hook stuck inside his mouth one day. I just looked in there and said, "Yeah its in there, good luck with that." And lastly as a saftey concern for you and others, GO AROUND! Too many of us jack a__'s that have big fast boats get lazy and abuse the power. Especially around the marinas. Theres lots of small boats out there, and they are almost always our own people, show some courteousy and slow down to wakeless speed or go around. What does it take? an extra two seconds in our water rockets? But it does make a big difference to the guys in the little boats. Also, if you see some water skiiers harrasing on of the little boats, run them down and get thier boat numbers, take the numbers back to the guys in the little boat and lets fix them stupid waterskiiers.
[signature]
I know this will sound like a no brainer but, know the waters you are going out on and the tendencies when the wind kicks up. I worked up to FishLake for a summer and if I remember right there was a couple of times people would rent a boat and go out and the wind would pick up and they would have to take out a pontoon boat or the DWR boat to get them back to the lodge safely.
[signature]
If your boat breaks down wave your arms up and down fairly slowly like you are doing jumping jacks without jumping. Many people will realize that you need help. If you wave your arms, often others think you are merely waving at them.
[signature]
One more thing about bilge pumps. You need to run them now and then or they will sieze up. When I busted up my boat(2 or three times) last year, I found out my trusty old pump didn't work any more. Now I have two pumps mounted in the bilge. One thats automatic and hooked up to the engine battery,and one thats on a seperate switch and hooked to my spare rear battery. I also have two extra pumps with aligator clips for my livewells. They can be used to pump the bilge in an emergency. Alltogether, I can pump about 1500 G.P.H. if need be. Or throw a spare to a boater in need.

walleyebob
[signature]
Kow about keep your boat clear of tripping hazards like wires.

When I bought my boat it came with a Minnkota trolling motor on the front of it. The guy who had it used to take the spare battery and set it up in the front of the boat for trolling power. I did this once and found it quite a nusance. The battery would fall over in rough water and worst of all, your feet would get wrapped up in the wires when sitting in the front seat. I needed something a little more permanent yet still be able to unplug the troling motor so I could remove it when its sitting in storage.

So I came up with this idea, I went to Lowe's and bought a electrical wall plug and outlet, used an old exrension cord and ran it from my battery to the plug.

[Image: Hook_up.jpg]

[Image: Hook_up_3.jpg][url "http://www.graystarr.com/www2/html/modules/Albums/album04/Hoo"][/url]
[signature]
frickin-mcgiver
[signature]
ummmmmmmmm, thx?
[signature]
It is not only the "code of the sea" to help someone in trouble, but I believe it is the law. (read your state boating regulations)

The one thing I would suggest is to keep all of your safety gear checked, updated, and HANDY. It is too often a temptation to tuck that stuff out of the way so you can have your fishing gear handy. Not a good thing to do when seconds count in an emergency.

One thing that is often overlooked is the throwable PFD. Make sure yours is in good condition. These can lose buoyancy over time.
[signature]