Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vertical Jigging at Da' Berry
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Ok ok, so I’ve searched the archives with about every string possible: berry jig, berry vertical jig, strawberry vertical tube jig, etc.,,, and nowhere can I find an accurate description of the presentation techniques of using a tube jig to vertically jig for trout at the Berry. [/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]So I’m opening it up for those of you who know this best. From reading basically every post on the Utah board, since I joined BFT in July, I know there are quite a few members who use this technique, i.e. MGB and others… If you guys would be willing, I would really appreciate some advice. For example: size of jigs, weight of heads, colors, etc. It also sounds as though you are jigging a few feet off the bottom??? How aggressive are your jigs? I’m think that it’s mostly some smaller twitches with a few more aggressive ones followed by a slow and controlled free fall? With maybe the aggressive twitches done by about a 4 foot lift of your pole? What's your opinion on tipping the jig with a worm as some do? Is it just a chunk of a worm just to sweeten things, or are you addding a couple inches of worm to give the jig more life?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]As you can see, this technique is completely new to me. Any information will be REALLY appreciated. Unfortunately, while expecting my first child in a month, my budget doesn’t permit a fish finder to mount on my inflatable canoe. I realize that limits me from finding what depth the fish are holding on the Berry, but I’m determined enough that with the right techniques, I will find fish.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I am open for any and all techniques. If you’ve got a presentation that works for you, post it. I’m all about variety, and would love to hear the different opinions of everyone who’s done this before. I’m up for trying them all, to see which fits me best. [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I know techniques vary with the season/temperature, so fyi,,, I’m planning on fishing The Berry this Saturday morning.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]You can PM me, send an email to [url "mailto:mikemcinelly@hotmail.com"]mikemcinelly@hotmail.com[/url] or simply reply to this post,, whichever you prefer.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Thanks a ton![/size][/font]
[signature]
Here is some quick information:

Various jigs will work, but light colored ones (white or shades of white or white with colored flecks) seem to work the best. Try tube jigs from 3 1/2" on down to 1/2" with 2 1/2" probably the best size this time of year. Minnows can be purchased at The Strawberry Marina or from Sportsman's, or you can net or catch them yourself (not many around the docks at Strawberry Marina this year). Use small pieces of minnow, just enough to add flavoring to the hook. This time of year 30 to 36' deep water is about right. As fall progresses they will move shallower. Fish right on the bottom or if you have a fish finder you might see them a few feet off of the bottom. Vary your jigging from fast to slow and find out what is working that day. The Ladders area, Renegade and various other areas are good places to try. If all else fails just go where you see a large number of boats.
[signature]
Thanks a ton for the info Kent.

Anybody else have a technique they like?
[signature]
I agree with Kent, and he's about as good as they come when it comes to fishing Strawberry!
I will add one thing: Boat control is everything. Take two anchors if you have to. You will catch a lot more fish. It seems that when the breeze moves us around our single anchor, the fishing slows until we are stopped again. I like to throw out two anchors, one in the front and one in the back, tighten them up and then fish.
Of course, you must always be careful when anchored in the back, especially with a small boat. Make sure you are pointed INTO the waves and make it so that you can release the rear anchor quickly if needs be!...I've heard of boats sinking while anchored from the rear.
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I've thought about that,,, so complete VERTICAL presentation is key. Good to know.

Well since I am in an inflatable canoe that can sometimes feel like a sailboat on a windy day,,, have any of you found any sections of Strawberry that are known to be less windy than others?

Regardless I will try to rig an anchor, but it's a litte tough to get one out front and back of my 12 foot inflatable canoe. =)

Thanks for your addition Randy!

Anybody else???
[signature]
I would consider fishing around Renegade if I were fishing from a small craft and concerned about the wind. Lots of float tubers and similar fish that area. Also, the fishing can be very good around Renegade. Also, you asked about vertical jigging, so you got answers geared towards "vertical" jigging. One can also catch plenty of fish up there fishing with jigs or whole minnows or similar casting and letting the jig or minnow slowly fall while slowly retrieving, or by merely drifting slowly.
[signature]
Good to know Kent, thank you.

I did ask about "vertical jigging" cause that is mostly what I hear about on the reports from people having success at Strawberry. If anyone has different thoughts on what techniques produce the most fish, I'm all ears. I love to fish with both my spinning rod and fly rod.

Thanks again Kent!
[signature]
I’m heading to Strawberry on Thursday Morning. If you end up fishing Strawberry I would appreciate a report when you get back.
[signature]
[black][size 4]For starters read this post...it has some good information including some pictures of jigs that some people use. [/size][/black][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=279368;#279368"][black][size 4]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=279368;#279368[/size][/black][/url][black][size 4]

Then if you want to read some more good information and narrow your search down a little you could click on MGB's name and it will take you to a screen where on the bottom corner it says see users posts. Then look through MGB's posts relating to Strawberry. It is no news to anyone that MGB is the king of strawberry jigging and he gives a lot of good information in his posts as to what depths he is at and color/type of jigs etc. There is a lot to learn from him and he has been very kind to share a lot of his knowledge.

To answer a few of your questions.....

"size of jigs, weight of heads, colors, etc."...... Tube jigs usually in pearl white or white with specks in it. On occasional days darker works better like smoke grey or watermellon. I use 1/8 oz heads when there is little to no wind (lighter heads float down rather than drop like rocks, the floating motion gets strikes). I go to 1/4 oz when it gets windy to keep a better vertical presentation. Once I tie the jig on I always slide the knot around to the back side of the eye closest to the shank of the hook. It moves the center of gravity that way and causes the jig to hang horizontal in the water more like a minnow. (Did ya get that...kinda confusing. You want a horizontal presention while vertical jigging....LOL) I have only used 2 1/2 and 3 inch tubes. I always fill the inside of the tube with some sort of scent before dropping it down. While ice fishing I can see the scent cloud around my jig on my fishfinder if I have it set sensative enough. I know it attracts fish.

"It also sounds as though you are jigging a few feet off the bottom??? How aggressive are your jigs?" Depends on what the fish want. This is where a fish finder is so important cause you can watch the reaction to your offering and also go after suspended fish. Some days they like it dead sticked and others a lot of action. Its trial and error but usually I am within a couple feet of the bottom and jig from the mud to about 2-3 feet up and let it fall naturally without any resistance. Lot of hits happen on the fall. It will often times help to bounce the jig in the mud a few times and stir up the bottom like a crawdad does.

"What's your opinion on tipping the jig with a worm as some do? Is it just a chunk of a worm just to sweeten things, or are you addding a couple inches of worm to give the jig more life?" [font "Times New Roman"][font "Verdana"]I always tip with a piece of chub meat or a half of a crawler to sweeten things up. Both can work well but some days they definetely want one or the other. Go prepared with both. I don't know what they do to the action of the jig or if it "gives it more life".[/font][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][font "Verdana"][/font][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]"Unfortunately, while expecting my first child in a month, my budget doesn’t permit a fish finder to mount on my inflatable canoe. I realize that limits me from finding what depth the fish are holding on the Berry, but I’m determined enough that with the right techniques, I will find fish." Congrats on the first child on the way. Too bad for the lack of funds for the fishfinder. It is one of the more important tools for vertical jigging. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]"I am open for any and all techniques. If you’ve got a presentation that works for you, post it." The fall is a great time of year at the Berry. Casting a retrieving (quite fast and irratic) can be very good in the fall with white tubes as well as throwing out behind the canoe and paddling around. As long as it is sweetened with something they will often time keep hitting til they hook themselves. Long lining a black wooley bugger also works well this time of year or dragging it on a slow/medium sink fly line. If you don't catch fish move to a new location. There are so many fish in that pond but sometimes you need to look to find them. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]If you do a search for Strawberry and then look for posts from last year and the year before in Sept/Oct it will give you good information about what/where works this time of year. Also read the Strawberry archive board and look over the last couple years info during the fall time.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The advice already given has been excellent as well and should be followed. Hope this helps![/font]
[/size][/black][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
Alot of good information has been offered. Some of the most important things to watch for is the depth you are in sonar is important so you will know the depth you are in and what depth the fish are in and what part of the water column they are holding. You can be catching them at mid depth in the water column earlier in the day and they could start favoring the bottom.

If you want to catch big numbers you should always hold your pole and have the feel for any thing different. It could be just a tick, added weight or your line going slack from the fish lifting your jig. Most of the time you will want to give the jig a slow jigging motion slowly raising it no more than 6" and letting it flutter back down and always watching for slack while its on the downward motion and always feeling for the tick or added weight when in the upward motion. Staying vertical and knowing where your line is is important also. But mixing it up with a cast and letting it sink and working it back to the vertical position can get some of the lurkers that are out of reach from a vertical presentation. If you are always sitting your pole down you will miss alot of strikes and sometimes you will never know you had one. Ice fishing will be a good time to practice jig fishing for the most part its the same type of fishing year around.
[signature]
Man, you guys are firing me up to get out there! Thanks a ton for all the info, everyones posts taught me something different. Since I'm in an inflatable canoe, seems I'll be headed for the Renegade area, as to not get blown off the lake. I will be fishing early Saturday morning, before my scouts wake up. =)

Thanks again, and I'll let you all know how it goes.
[signature]