Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What wader patch do you use? Anyone tried Loon UV Wader Repair?
Is the Loon product just a quick fix, on the water? Or is it a good quality repair? What product have you found to be the best?
I have a pair of White River Breathable waders, with about 7 little holes and 2 small 1/4" tears. I just got some of this Loon wader repair product and was wondering if anyone has had experience using it? The directions are overly simple-put it on in the shade, expose it to the sun. In the field [or water] that is enough, I suppose. But, here at home, i'm wondering what the most ideal repair will be? Like longer in the sun? a 2nd coat? A coat inside and a coat outside? Etc Etc
What say ye?Huh Pros and Cons? Bestter Products???
This is their ad:UV Wader Repairâ„¢
Don't let a wader leak ruin your day, be back in the water in seconds. Works on wet or dry waders, wetsuits, hiking boots, and many other items. Apply UV Wader Repair directly to your leak or tear, expose to sunlight, and your are back in business.
F0003 - 1/2 oz.
[signature]
Chuck,
You asked a bunch of stuff about fishing in Colorado on another BB. I send you a few pictures of Ouray that I dug up. Told you places to go fishing. Send you websites about activities. You asked about fly lines and poles on this BB. After I sent you a couple of emails asking how your trip went you did not respond at all. It took me a little work to dig up some of the stuff I thought you like to see and know about.

There is not requirement to respond. But it would have been courteous to at least say I had bad time but thanks for the info. Or even let me know that you found my infor boggus would have been good.
I will be as courteous and not respond further.
[signature]
My sincere apologies! A lot of people emailed me and gave me loads of help-you certainly offered me a lot of help! I appreciated it all!
There are a number of circumstances that got in the way of my replying. First, when I got back, my computer had { I guess?? } crashed or something and I had to start all over, with everything. I lost all emails and websites. I had 8 fishing websites that I had posted to and without the emails, lost all track of who was where.
Add to that family problems, that would take many pages to fill, that I, being the only local family member, with more than a dollar to my name, had to deal with.
My grandson was killed by a car last year and my son and his wife are in depression and lost everything, and I mean EVERYTHING! I got them a car recently, but I only make maybe $28,000 a year, so i'm not rich. Then my son broke his leg and can't work!
Then I got neve and depression problems, from trying to deal with their problems [they have 2 other children, besides the 15 year old that was killed.] Anyway, i'm on Prozac and Xanax and coming out of the worst of it all. I'm not looking for help or sympathy. I just want anyone, including, or especially, you, to know that i'm not just unappreciative. I'm just a bit messed up.
Colorado was wonderful! I wish I was there still, believe me! I loved the fishing! I didn't catch any big trout, but I got a 12" Cutthroat and a bunch of brown and Rainbows. I fished the Colorado, the Arkanasas, the Animas [where I got the Cutthroat in a feeder stream- I can't prove it, because, with camera in one hand and fish in the other, the fish flopped back in the water! Sad] The Frying Pan and in N.M. the Pecos [which was too muddied up to catch anything]
The Cottonwood Pass trip was fantastic!
Ouray was beautiful! We took the hoseback trail ride and loved it! I'm not sure my wife's butt agrees! Smile
Again, my sincere [and I mean it!] apology! I feel terrible that I was offensive to those who were so very helpful to me! Circumstances got in my way.
THANK YOU and everyone else who took their time to be of help to me!!!
I do have hundreds of pictures, so i'll never forget Colorado!

Chuck,

It sounds like you trip to Colorado was a REAL vacation. I have lost between 100k and 200K in the last three years. Sounds like pitance compared to your troubles.

I was just thinking you might reply with a simple you had a good time. But it sounds like a fantastic time. Will email you later.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi Chuck sorry to hear about all of your problems. When it rains it pours. Be sure to take good care of your wife. She just might be the best friend that you will ever have. I lost mine a few years back and not a day goes by that I don't think of her or things that I wish I would have said. I sure that being the gentleman that he is Scuffy_Fly will certainly accept your apology. Good luck my friend. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I have no specific knowledge of The Loon Wader Repair stuff but I do use their knot sense product for sealing the knot and smoothing over the knot.

My guess would be that the loon product would work great for small holes. If it does not work then you can always repair it with another product.

For rips in the material that is of any length I would say that the loon patch by it self would not be up to the task. Unless it also comes with some kind of wader material that you can glue over the rip to reinforce the material and the repair. Assuming that the Loon kit does not have wader material in it then you can a wader repair kit that does. Simms has a kit that will work well. cut a patch that extends 1/4 to 1/2 inch on each end of the the rip and on the sides of the rip. Use Aquaseal or Goop. I think aquaseal works better but Goop is cheaper. The Simms kit will come with Aquaseal.

For pin holes you can apply the Loon product or the Aquaseal on the inside or the outside.

You are going to find that after you get those big visible rips and holes repaired that there are other pin holes that you can not see. You will find that they are there when you get back in the water. But after you get out of the water you are still not going to know where precisely the leaks are at.

Turn you waders inside out. Put Rubbing Alcohol or any other Denatured alcohol in a spray bottle. Spray it liberally over the inside of the wader. any little pinholes will turn the material a little darker in color. Circle it with a sharpie or magic marker. Contine this all over your waders. Dry off the alcohol then apply aquaseal or whatever to the spots ( I have used window adhesive caulk before). Let it dry.

This methods works for most breathable wader models. Will not work for neoprene.

I don't use the spray bottle. I soak a paper towel or rag in the alcohol and rub it over the waders. I have never tried the spray bottle method but that it what Simms recommends.

Don't worry about the waders looking patched. This will be the first of a number of patchs that will be coming. Beside they are fishing duds. They are suppose to be skanky looking. Not like you just walked out of a GQ Mag photo shot.
[signature]
Thanks Dryrod. Yes, Scruffy was a very nice and helpful person! After all the efforts he made for me, helping me plan my Co. trip, I don't blame him for wondering whats up with me!
I understand what you said about my wife. She is my best friend!
I too lost my 1st wife of 29 years in death. In 1997 she died of pancreatic cancer at 45 years old. We still had 2 of our 5 kids living at home 14 and 16 years old.
She too was my best friend! Only difference was, my 1st wife fished with me and even deer hunted with me!
My newer wife is wonderful, but she is her own person. I wasn't looking to replace my 1st wife, with another just like her. I just wanted to be happily matrried again and I am. I was only 48 when my 1st wife died and not ready to face life alone. I'm just the married man type. Smile
Here's a picture of me, when I got off the Durango / Silverton train, to fish the Animas river.
[signature]
Today I got a package of Knot Sense and Wader Repair that I bought on Ebay and I just wanted to ask around, before I did the repairs incorrectly. I posted on a few boards and others also recommend Aquaseal and patches. I have some patch material that came with the waders, but nothing to stick it on with. I wonder if I can just use the Loon Wader Repair to apply a patch over the tears?
Here's a Colorado fish picture! This was from Gore Creek I believe. [reply]
I have no specific knowledge of The Loon Wader Repair stuff but I do use their knot sense product for sealing the knot and smoothing over the knot.

My guess would be that the loon product would work great for small holes. If it does not work then you can always repair it with another product.

For rips in the material that is of any length I would say that the loon patch by it self would not be up to the task. Unless it also comes with some kind of wader material that you can glue over the rip to reinforce the material and the repair. Assuming that the Loon kit does not have wader material in it then you can a wader repair kit that does. Simms has a kit that will work well. cut a patch that extends 1/4 to 1/2 inch on each end of the the rip and on the sides of the rip. Use Aquaseal or Goop. I think aquaseal works better but Goop is cheaper. The Simms kit will come with Aquaseal.

For pin holes you can apply the Loon product or the Aquaseal on the inside or the outside.

You are going to find that after you get those big visible rips and holes repaired that there are other pin holes that you can not see. You will find that they are there when you get back in the water. But after you get out of the water you are still not going to know where precisely the leaks are at.

Turn you waders inside out. Put Rubbing Alcohol or any other Denatured alcohol in a spray bottle. Spray it liberally over the inside of the wader. any little pinholes will turn the material a little darker in color. Circle it with a sharpie or magic marker. Contine this all over your waders. Dry off the alcohol then apply aquaseal or whatever to the spots ( I have used window adhesive caulk before). Let it dry.

This methods works for most breathable wader models. Will not work for neoprene.

I don't use the spray bottle. I soak a paper towel or rag in the alcohol and rub it over the waders. I have never tried the spray bottle method but that it what Simms recommends.

Don't worry about the waders looking patched. This will be the first of a number of patchs that will be coming. Beside they are fishing duds. They are suppose to be skanky looking. Not like you just walked out of a GQ Mag photo shot. [/reply]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Loon wader repair is a great FAST and only on small holes. Word of warning, [#ff0000]it drys as hard as a rock[/#ff0000]. It is cool that you put it on in the shade, then point it towards the sun (Even if cloud cover) and it is dry.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]But as I said, keep it small.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I still prefer Aquaseal and of course the patch kit that comes with my waders. But I carry the loon in case of an on the spot leak.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[reply]
Today I got a package of Knot Sense and Wader Repair that I bought on Ebay and I just wanted to ask around, before I did the repairs incorrectly. I posted on a few boards and others also recommend Aquaseal and patches. I have some patch material that came with the waders, but nothing to stick it on with. I wonder if I can just use the Loon Wader Repair to apply a patch over the tears? ------------------------- [#ff0000]I don' think that will work well. The Loon wader repair stuff sounds like it has to be exposed to UV light to cure. That would mean that you would need to spread a good coating over the top of the patch material onto the wader material. the patch material would not be attached to the wader and would move around.[/#ff0000] [#ff0000][/#ff0000] [#ff0000]You need adhesive between the wader and the patch material.[/#ff0000] ---------------------------
Here's a Colorado fish picture! This was from Gore Creek I believe. [/reply]
[/reply]
[signature]
Thanks Flygoddess. Smile I don't have any Aquaseal, but i'll get some! I do have some Plumber's GOOP and the original patch material. I wonder if that would be good for applying the patch fabric that came with the waders?
I attached another of my Colorado fishing pictures. Smile
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Nice trout. Great colors.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]About the patch kit, and forgive me if I missed it, but speaking from Orvis (which is the only wader I have had for the past 7 yrs).[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]The patch kit for these waders are iron on. I bought the aquaseal (you can even get it in the camping dept. of Walmart) and activator and did a thin coat on the seams for preventative measure, and i would use it on holes, but it does take at least 12hrs to cure. The iron ons are great and very easy.[/black][/font]
[signature]
Don't know for breathables, but i use the stuff that comes with my Hodgman neo's and it works great considering that i use my waders for 1 year and they are trashed. I duck hunt about 80 days a year and they get beat up. I use the whole bottle in those 80 days. I need to find some waders that stand up to the punnishment.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Yah! Like those $500. boot foot neos made for hunting[laugh][laugh][laugh][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Breathables is a whole different ballgame.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I remember my neos. I patched them with a big glob of Aquaseal and it looked like someone blew a big loogy on me. Same with my wet suit when I was into waterskiing.[/black][/font]
[signature]
No, i buy the $120 ones. Can't see spending alot on a disposable pair of waders.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]I've had a pair of Simms G3 waders for over 3 years and have yet to experience a leak. They do come with a repair kit which I hope never to have to open. But for the price I paid for them I am extremely careful about walking through the brush or any place else that might cause a big scratch or puncture.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]