Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 9/17/06
Sorry for the late report been too tired or working and not in the mood to post. It feels like the long chilly day at the berry took alittle out of me.

Fished the berry last Sunday it was one of the toughest days since during the spawn at the first of the summer. The usual hot spots for the year only produced one or two fish I expected this to happen. I also tried areas that have produced last year at this time but had very little luck. After 6 hours of fishing and relocating our 5th area produced some good catching in 38' of water for about two hours then shut off. Tried two other areas with only a couple fish caught. Caught and released about 30 cutts in 9 hours between 4 of us. Nothing bigger than 21" and 1 under the slot. We fished from the ladders, where only two other boats where in the area, over to Bryant's Fork and along Mosquito Bay fishing north past Mud Creek. Not many fish marked on the finder and only 1 good school located that produced any good catching. I guess they are in transition and once they settle in the catching will be fantastic.
We vertical jigged all day. Morning air temperature was 22* warming up to the low 40's but the wind chill felt like it was below 30*. Surface temperature was about 56*.
[signature]
Sounds pretty tough Mike. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Hey Mike!
Glad you were able to make it out. You were 100% correct with your prediction! We saw fewer fish last Friday also (when it was still "warm" outside) and I'll bet that the colder weather drove even more out to other places!
We, like you, saw even fewer fish at MudCreek. I don't know where they've gone, but they've gone somewhere!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Yea the surface,I have caught some big fish trolling with lure that only dive to ten feet this time of year,I know you dont like to troll MGB,so cast some small rapalas up on the surface.Just an idea I really dont know how to fish SB.
[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the post Mike, it sucks to have a slow day (rare for you) but your temp report and the fact that they weren't deep got me to the water where we hammered them in the shallows, as I just posted. Some guys don't post when they have a bad day, that info can be just as important as a good day. PM me when you get a second.
[signature]