Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chesterfield or Twentyfour mile
Anybody been up to Chesterfield or Twentyfour mile lately? I plan to head up there Oct 12-14th and give them a try. I would appreciate any pointers on types of flies to use in October up there. I was there over the fourth of July and caught some nice ones on black and olive leech patterns.

I did fish Glendale four about an hour on Monday night and caught 4 trout. One nice 18" rainbow. I released them all so someone else can enjoy them also.
[signature]
I read a fishing report in the Pocatello paper last Friday for Chesterfield. They suggested chironomids, midges, zugbugs, prince nymphs, Halloween leeches and Canadian bloods. I will be over there again this weekend and my son and I are hoping to get up there to fish on Saturday. I will also get to see the report again to see if anything changed. They said the water had cleared up and fishing was supposed to be good. Hope it stays that way and we get some decent weather.

What do you know about 24 Mile? I've seen it on maps but don't know anything about access or size, and haven't ever met anyone who has been there. Is it worth the drive up there?

I'll post a report when I get back.

Red Dwarf
[signature]
Thanks for the Pocatello report. I am still thinking about going up there next week. Please let me know how you do. I fished both Chesterfield and Twenty-four mile around the 4th of July. Chesterfield was pretty good but slow (fat 18" rainbows). I think I landed 7 in about 6 hours of fishing. Twenty-four mile is about 30 minutes away from Chesterfield to the East. You go back to the small ghosttown of Chesterfield and turn North. The dirt road is faily narrow and the lake is pretty small as well. It does have some nice fish in it though. I fished it for about 1 hour. I caught two fish about 15" each. I also missed several. I hooked into one really nice fish that took me into my backing but I lost him before I got to see him. It is artificial fly and lure only with I think 2 fish over 20", everything else has to be released. If you have time, it is a fun little lake to fish and quite pretty.
[signature]

Welcome to BFT Idaho.

I was in that area about 5 weeks ago. 24 mile was drawn down kind of low but I don't think it will have a problem carring over fish. Either reservoir should offer decent fishing and fished well when I tried them this year. If the fishing is slow at 24 mile or Chesterfield take a 15 minute drive to the other one. If it is windy 24 mile won't have the waves that Chesterfield does. Also don't forget to try some of the smaller flies. One of my favorite is a bead head pheasant tail.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice on the bead-headed pheasant tail. Do you fish that with a sinking line or floating and a strike indicator? I tend to fish bigger leech patterns (black, brown, halloween, purple) on intermediate sinking line and kind of troll and strip. It looks like my son (10 years old) and I will be fishing Chesterfield on the 12th. Last time we had a blast catching large rainbows. My son even caught 5 all by himself on his fly rod. It is a blast to see your son doing it by himself at 10 and having success. I have only fished across the dam and on the east shoreline (from float tubes) at Chesterfield. Has anyone had better success other places on the lake?
[signature]
We fished Chesterfield in August from the east side bank. The west side was pretty crowded. My grandson caught the only fish of the day, but it was a dandy 18" rainbow. He was pretty stoked as he is just 4. Needed a bit of help landing it, but did everything else himself.

I have a question about the regs there. The book says two cutthroat trout limit, but the sign at the reservoir as I recall says two trout. That left us a little unsure as to exactly what can be kept if one is inclined to do that. Do either of you know if it uses the standard 6 trout limit with two cutthroats maximum or if it is two trout of any stripe?

Thanks for the info about 24 Mile. That might be a good spot if Chesterfield is slow. We were thinking about moving down on the Portneuf River as well, which also has the special regs. Does look like nice water though.

The fishing report I read mentioned that the Prince nymph could be a bead head or not.

Red Dwarf
[signature]
The last post was me. I just forgot to login first.
[signature]
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll put a report in on Monday about how things went.

Red Dwarf
[signature]
It's been awhile since I was at Twenty Four, but when I was there, an intermediate line with a foam back tadpole and a bead head Prince nymph were kickin' ........
I don't think that this combination has changed. Black Tadpole by the way.
[signature]
I will have to try the black tadpole and prince nymph combination. Did you have the tadpole as your top or bottom fly? Did you catch any big fish at 24-mile last time you were there? I am excited to give Chesterfield and 24-mile a try this next week. Any recent updates by anyone would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
[size 1][#ff0000]Did you have the tadpole as your top or bottom fly?[/#ff0000] [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[black][size 3]I do the "Y" connection on stillwater so, the Prince was on the short side and the Tadpole on the long side (so it looked like the Tadpole was chasing the Prince)[/size][/black]
[size 1][/size]
[#ff0000][size 1]Did you catch any big fish at 24-mile [/size][/#ff0000]
[#ff0000][size 1][/size][/#ff0000]
[black][size 3]The usual 12" to occassional 18". But darn good fighters. Would have been a blast on a 4wt.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Well, I'm not going to be much help. Saturday turned out to be rainy and cold, so we wimped out and hung around Pocatello doing family stuff. Of course, today when we were committed to other things, turned out to be a beautiful day.[mad]

The fishing report recommended chironomids, midges, and Halloween leeches for Chesterfield.

I'm going to try to hit one of the reservoirs closer to Boise tomorrow. Anybody fished Paddock or Crane Creek recently?

Red Dwarf
[signature]
Yea, weather can be pretty testy this time of year. However, some great fishing can be had on some of the most miserable of days. This time of the year there are lots of fish fattening up in preparation for the really cold weather.

Good luck on your next trip out![Smile]
[signature]
RedDward,

I figured that you probably didn't go on Saturday due to the miserable weather. We are still planning on hitting it on Thursday. I will let you know how we do. Friday and Saturday we are going to hit Strawberry res. in Utah. They seems to be catching a lot down there lately.
[signature]
We are going to be at Strawberry on Saturday with a bumch of people also. I got to catch a respectable fish! My picture with the 34" Hybrid from "H" was posted in the newspaper a couple of weeks ago, with a JOKE of 2007 Utah Proc. attached. Have gotten alot of shocked (for lack of better words) people over this JOKE! So, I figure if I can get a nice size one out of Strawberry, people might breath a little easier.
I just won't mention that "I" was born and raised in Idaho LOL
[signature]
Flygoddess,

Do you know what kind of flies they are hitting on at Strawberry? It seems like everybody is fishing with tube jigs. I would much rather catch some fish with my fly rod if possible. I usually only use my spinning rod for ice fishing.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Won't know tiill I get there, but WHITE seems to be one thing in common with all the posts. Try some white zonkers or wooly buggers. I got a bunch I am going to try, but again won't know till I go.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I was thinking the same thing. I tied a few white ones up yesterday. Do you have any suggestions on what part of Strawberry we should fish?
[signature]
NOT A CLUE. I guess we will be meeting up at BRYANTS or East Portal.
[signature]
Sorry to offend anyone, as you can see I started out with several posts about ID. I like to fish both ID and UT.

"Guest" - Do you have any updates about Chesterfield or 24-mile? I just like to talk about fishing (regardless of the state), but I will take your advice and focus my UT comments either on the UT site (much more active than ID by the way) or through personal emails.
[signature]