Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-success muzzleloader hunt
Just got back in town today, so I figured I'd leave a report. I didn't figure I'd kill anything; Too picky(what can I say, I'm a trophy hunter), too early in the year. But, it's still a hunt to go on.

Tried about everywhere I know out in the desert, and saw a lot of deer. I passed on around 25 bucks for the week, the smallest was a 15" 3x2, biggest one I'll look at later if I haven't found anything else, a 27" 3x5. I got within muzzleloader range on most of them, but I could resist the temptation to shoot. No magic 200"ers to be found as of yet.

Friday there were quite a few hunters after about 11, but none of them I'd talked to had even seen a deer, yet alone a buck. I sort of let them believe I hadn't seen any either; I like having just my boot tracks in the area.

My favorite mountain is a complete wilderness area now, which really means good hunting this year, and it's only going to get better in the future. I didn't see any bikes going off road. If I do, though, BLM's getting a call, and I'm getting $200. I don't like law breakers, especially when it's the deer herd that's at stake. Every road's been closed down. So folks, unless you really like a mile hike into deer country, I wouldn't suggest the desert.

One big disappointment, too, were the chukar. I didn't jump one the entire week. Bad, bad year for them. Last year in the same area I saw litterally hundreds. None this year. There were a few differences, though. Key among them was that the cheet grass was short and sparse; Not good for chukar.

I'm heading back out Wedensday morning for one more day after the thunderstorms. There were a few huge tracks I know belong to big bucks. One right in the area that we jumped the 35"er last year. Who knows. Maybe I'll get lucky for once.
[signature]
Just a little incentive for every one. This is what by little brother shot Friday. Would have been better with 4th point, but 27" is probably better than anything I'll likely see.

Taken on BLM land in Iron County.
[signature]
At least you got to get out and do some hunting. I hope you find that 200 plus deer this year. Too bad about the chukars though. Some areas they did well in, and others, they got slapped around by mother nature.
[signature]
Where was the buck taken? (in general, of course[Wink])
[signature]
Between Cedar City and New Castle
Yeah. Hunting's always good. I'm begining to wonder if I've set my sights a little too high. Oh well. There's always the Rifle hunt later.

I'm trying a hike about 20 miles south of where I was hunting tomorrow to try and find the chukar. Hopefully they're there. I just can't understand it. Oh well. I'll find them somewhere. They've got to be there.
[signature]
There are wilderness areas in the desert? I am going to have to look into this, that is my kind of hunting.

Rut
[signature]
Yes sir, there is. In some of the best country Tooele County has to offer, too. It's been up for a few years now, but this year the BLM's closed off pretty well every road there is. Not a lot of deer, by any means, but it's a better quality hunt.
[signature]
Cool, I am going to have to do some looking around and see if I can find it!

Thanks,

Rut
[signature]