Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Expansion???
[cool][#0000ff]There was a [url "http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_4429081"]BRIEF ARTICLE[/url] in the Salt Lake Tribune this morning about the possibility of raising the dikes on Willard Bay to hold more water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is in the study stage at this point, but interesting to speculate on what a few extra feet of water might do for the wipers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
This idea has actually been around for several years. Although a good idea on the surface it is frought with problems.
First, the North marina and camp groound is only about 2' above present full pool. We would lose that. The south part of the lake is already below water level and increased water held back puts a big strain on the existing dike.
The extra water would be nice for low water years like 3 years ago but I doubt it will happen.
[signature]
I read about it in the Ogden paper the other day. I think it is interesting, and with the exploding growth around here, I think it needs to be done. Like Troll mentioned, there would be a lot more than just raising the dikes. But if the fed wants to throw in the money, I'm game! I think another few feet of depth could help the fishery out quite nicely. It sure wouldn't hurt!
[signature]
The camp host in the north marina and i talked about this a little. She cited alot more problems than just loosing the campgrounds. My mind is not allowing me to recall the other points. If i remember, i will add them here.
I think it would help the fishery tremendously. I think they should also add some structure.[cool]
[signature]
They could solve the camp ground problem with a dike around it,the lake could still come up quite a bit before the marinas would have any problems,I think it would be great to see another 5 to 10 feet added.
later,fnf[cool]
[signature]
If I'm not mistaken, this has been talked about in many different ways. Right now, I think the lobbyist for the water conservancy districts has taken the "let's just look at this idea alone" approach to Washington, although it does have ramifiactions to tie in to much bigger water development projects. Specifically, development of the Bear River.

Bear River water was divvyed out on paper some time ago, and since then, the four groups that laid claim on the water are trying to figure out a way to get it. Most vocal is the Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District in Salt Lake County (the other three groups are Weber Basin Water CD, Cache Valley, and the Bear River Water CD).

As I understand it, one of the alternatives to building a new full-on reservoir on the Bear River (currently proposed near Washakie) and piping the water down to Salt Lake County is to just put Jordan Valley's share of Bear River water into Willard Bay, and then pipe it from Willard down to Salt Lake County. That makes the Willard folks (Weber WCD) nervous. For one, it's their reservoir and I'm not sure how keen they are on holding and managing someone else's water; and second, because the water quality of the Bear River is...uh...not great to put it kindly. It's kind of a touchy subject between the two so they don't talk much about it--for now.

Although Weber WCD could raise the level of Willard for their own water, don't think that Jordan doesn't have their eyes on the Feds paying for a project that would eventually get Bear River water to Salt Lake County. They've been buying up property all along the proposed pipeline area--tens of millions of dollars worth(your property tax $$ at work) betting that they'll get to develop that water.

It's all kind of hyphothetical at this point, so who really knows? It's all aministrative talk right now, so if it goes any further THEN you'll start seeing the research and science about the impacts. Definitely something to keep an eye on, though.

lurechucker
[signature]
-it is to only raise it one foot which means an additional 10,000acre feet. that is all weber basin is entiled to in unused water.
[signature]
Well, there you have it. 1 foot, shouldn't have to do a thing, just let the water in.
[signature]
There's some good structure in the north campground. [Wink]
[signature]