Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you carry on your Landyard?
When fishing rivers, I wear a fanny pack and a landyard most of the time. Other times I wear a chest pack, but still wear my landyard.
Here is mine with a clip release on the forcepts and clippers (which are on a measuring tape zinger):
[Image: Landyard400.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I don't wear a lanyard. Just something else to get hooked on a branch. Like my vest for the hanging of all my goodies. Probably would be quicker for me to take a picture of my vest than to go and inventory all the junk on it[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
The only thing on my lanyard is my forceps. Everything else is in or on my vest.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey FG,

I don't carry a lanyard. I have a small fanny pack for small streams and float fishing.
[/size][/black]
[inline FloatFly.jpg]

[black][size 3]For most other fly fishing I bring the whole bag(almost a suitcase).

[/size][/black][inline FullFly.jpg]

[black][size 3]I used to have most of my fly gear in my vest, but now, I use my vest when I am only hardware fishing and carry a lot of stuff.
[/size][/black]
[inline Vest.jpg]

[black][size 3]Which is usually when I am walking around lakes or reservoirs with the hounds(It is difficult to fly fish when I am hiking with the hounds).
[/size][/black]
[inline 2003_0525Image0066R.JPG]
[signature]
The only things i carry on my lanyard are duck and goose calls, and my bands.[Wink]
I also just use a vest. Seems easier for me.
[signature]
I tried the vest thing (infact I have a couple) but, I guess it was a woman thing. So many pockets and I had to fill them all[laugh]
Then it got so heavy, it started wearing on my back. So them I bought a WJ chest pack, alot smaller so I had to limit my boxes. Then I got the fanny pack with slots for water bottles and it was perfect for guiding
[signature]
Fly Goddess:

I thought after your trip to Daniels, you would have a whistle on there for sure.[cool]

I've seen those at Sportsmans, and they do look appealing for float tubing where wearing a vest isn't always practical. I might pick one up one of these days.

Red Dwarf
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The ol' man e-mailed the head up there in Idaho, and they are following the Coast Guard on this one and A WHISTLE IS MANDITORY on any kind of boat (float tubes, Pontoons, etc)[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]New to me, but will be done. I guess a whistle is no big deal, but a good idea.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
whistle - definetly a good thing to have. The sound carries farther than the human voice. You can blow a whistle a lot longer than you can shout. Very important things if you are hurt on the trail or stream side or in trouble on the water.

An air horn is a good thing to have also:
[url "http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/81065/0/0/whistle/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0"]http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/81065/0/0/whistle/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0[/url]

I have one of these
[url "http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/91898/0/0/whistle/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0"]http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/91898/0/0/whistle/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0[/url]

Here is a whistle that I have in my fishing vest.
[url "http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/45879/0/0/whistle/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0"]http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/45879/0/0/whistle/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0[/url]

Earlier this summer I was fishing a isolated high mountain stream with a friend whom I had not seen for about 20 minutes and was getting a little concerned that I had not run into him in a while. The standing next to the roar of the stream I heard a faint whistle. Then a minute later the faint sound happened again. It took me a couple of minutes to dig out my whistle that has been unused in my vest for several years. I sound it back to him and a moment later I heard a response. He did not know that I had a whistle. It was reassuring to know that he was okay and still having fun.

I have never seen this one before. Looks like an excellent item to have:

"sounds" like it is better than the one I have
[url "http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/244416/0/0/whistle/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0"]http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/244416/0/0/whistle/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0[/url]
[signature]
Lanyards - I got lanyards .... several on my vest. Also got a number of zingers (retracting cords) on my vest. Being an old sailor and a forgetful person I know that water has a secret magnetic force for anything not attached. Most of my fly boxes and my Abel Multi-tool and my home made fly holder are either attached to my vest with a short lanyard or zinger. No more loosing fumbled tools in the water or brush. No more leaving fly boxes sitting on a rock. Or floating down the river while I am bent over unhooking my prized captured piscator.

No lanyard around the neck though. Not enough storage space. I guess I am a girly man in that respect. I need pockets and I have to have those pockets stuffed with something. Like a LED flashlight, stomach pump, upteen fly boxes, Thermometer, fishing license folder, fluor tippet reels, mono tippet reels, water bottle, rain jacket, kleenix pack, head ache pills, spare leaders, removable sink tips, spare reading glasses, abel multi tool, homemade fly holder, Dropper setup holders, several yarn indicators, bright orange indicator balls, spare rubber bands for the indicator balls, Trash picked up from the river and trail. ........ No wonder I am tired at the end of a day of fishing. Makes for a strong back though.
[signature]
No kidding! Man I would be draggin' bumb with that! I will stick with the fanny pack with a COUPLE of fly boxes, leader wallet, and a stringer with tippet on it.
Kleenix......isn't that what long sleeves are for?
I do carry a small hand towel on my belt.
[signature]
[reply]
No kidding! Man I would be draggin' bumb with that! I will stick with the fanny pack with a COUPLE of fly boxes, leader wallet, and a stringer with tippet on it.
Kleenix......isn't that what long sleeves are for?
I do carry a small hand towel on my belt. [/reply]

I have to confess. In august and Sept I was using only an old fanny pack stuffed with a few fly boxes, large digital camera, floatant, tippet reels, clipper and water ..... and cleanix. scummy shirt sleeves are not good for cleaning the camera lens.[Smile] It felt good to be attempting mininumalist approach [angelic]

But yesterday on the Dream Stream I had the old vest on.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I do cheat. I have an Orvis gear duffle bag that I take with me with ALL my fly boxes, KLEENIX[Wink], wader repair, bug spray, extra glasses and tool, several reels, a small back up rod, etc.... and I would leave this in my car. I also take an empty fly box and load it at the river with the flies I think I will need, and then put that in my fanny pack or chest pack. That way if I get out on the river a discover that I didn't grab the fly I need, I can just walk back to the car.This is just a practise I got into when I guide, cause I am on call.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]However, in light of the break in I recently had and several others I have talked to, the car alarm is a must and maybe plan ahead before I go to leave the $ stuff at home. [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Car alarm - good.

I was fishing the Arkansas River in Colorado earlier this year. Hiway 50 follows it for many miles. There was a SUV parked next to the road up a head so I knew there should be a fisherman up in front of me. Then I saw a vehicle pull up next to the SUV and the fisherman got out and fumbled with the door which would not open so he tried the back hatch door and it would not open so he hopped back into the passenger seat of the pickup which then sped off. About this time I notice the real owner casting aways up the river.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]I carry one of those small air horns particularily when tubing. Many waterways require some type of signaling devise. When an air horn sounds on the water people pay attention unlike hearing car alarms going off all night. Have yet to have a chance to test it on a scaring a bear & I hope that I never have to.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool][/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I just did a quick inventory of my vest. That darn thing must weight 15 lbs. [/size][/green][/font] [ul] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]4 spools of tippet[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]3 leaders[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]thermometer[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]net / quick release[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]aquarium net[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]forceps[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]hook file [/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]hook release[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]knot tying tool[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]clip on magnifyers[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]air horn[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]cell phone[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]2/3 boxes of flies[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]nippers[/size][/green][/font][/li] [li][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]retractable Gear Keeper attached to walking staff[/size][/green][/font][/li][/ul]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Did I forget something? Well it is either in the car, at home or waiting at Bob marriott's to be picked up.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
You can minimise. There are clippers that are eye cleaners, hook sharpener, and knot tying tool plus......yes there is more!......The nippers are sharpenable (if that is a word, you can sharpen them[cool])
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there flygoddess - you are probably right that a lanyard is a ladie's thing. Not that I am questioning the mascalinity of those of my gender that prefer to wear one.[Wink] Can't recall seeing a lady wearing a vest or pictures of same.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I used to have one but it sunk to the bottom of henry's. So now everything goes in the sidebags or on zingers
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there flygoddess - you are probably right that a lanyard is a ladie's thing. Not that I am questioning the mascalinity of those of my gender that prefer to wear one.[Wink] Can't recall seeing a lady wearing a vest or pictures of same.[/size][/green][/font] [/reply]

[#bf0060]Tain't a ladies thing DR. I use one when on the kickboat and tube. Hemo's, clippers, floatant, split shot dispenser and a wine cork. Keeps the hemostats and nipper handy, no chance of them dropping in the water, the wine cork is drilled thru the center and drys my flies. The lanyard has a clip at the bottom that clips to my shirt/jacket that keeps it out of the way when bending forward. I use it out of convenience. [/#bf0060]
[#bf0060]
Pokymon, they are supposed to be worn around your neck. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I'll bet you had an older brother that told you that too, right?
[/#bf0060]

[signature]