Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EAST PORTAL - THE BERRY
After talking to the Ironworker, MGB and others, I finally made it up to Strawberry with the kick boat on Tuesday morning. I decided to stop at East Portal which is actually on the West side of the Berry for some action. There was alot of fog and alot of people for a Tuesday. Started with flies, both olive and red and I got hits on the olive right away. Caught two 20+ inch fish within 10 minutes of getting in the water. Lots of surface activity. I wanted to try pointers so I threw one on my casting rod and caught my first fish with a Lucky Craft. That was very fun. The fog stayed until 11:00am and the fish stayed up high all morning. After lunch I put on a white bugger and the fish loved that. They liked it fast and every now and again they would take the olive bugger as well. The fish are amazing. No monsters, but many in the 20-22 range. No rainbows. I wish they would put more rainbows in the berry for us that want a meal or two. Oh well, I will take a trophy fishery over trout for dinner any day. I went home very happy at about 2pm and I can't wait to get up there again.[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the report! I share your sentiment about catching big fish at the Berry. Live and let live!
[signature]
Good to hear you got into them. I was thinking about trying that area last Sunday but never did. I'll have to give it a try next trip up there. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Thanks for the report,I'll have to try that East Portal some time.How far did you have to carry your pontoon?
[signature]
Sounds like you had a good day.

If you look at the stocking reports I think you'll see they plant plenty of rainbows. The problem is that they are taken out as fast as they are stocked. I know alot of anglers that keep any rainbows or kokanee that they catch up there. Without a reg change to protect the rainbows for a while they will continue to be scarce. Just my two cents.
[signature]
FishCrazy, the nice thing about East Portal is that there is no fee to pay and you can pull up right next to the water with you rig. Very easy and no carrying involved.
Berry Update 10/5 - Renegade on Thursday, got blown off the water with the wind and storms. Caught some fish but very tough fishing. I did catch fish on two new lures for me, a Zonker and a Silver Fluke. I will have to try both again on a better day.
[signature]
You really should get over there. I think there are alot of fish in that area right now. I marked and saw more fish there than when I went to the ladders. MGB, remember to put me on your extra boat seat list. We still have not hooked up this year. All of us BFT'ers look to you, the master jig man, for wisdom and training jiggin up monster slimmers. Let me know.
[signature]