Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake on fire!
Ok, I haven't posted my fishing reports for the last three trips. The lake trout run is "on" at Bear Lake and it is at least two weeks earlier than normal! For those people who are waiting until the end of October I think it will be tapered off by then and you will have missed it. The time to "get" some lakers has been for the last two weeks and and 'is' RIGHT NOW.

Sat. 11/7 This morning I braved the rain and launched at 5:30am. This is the same time I have launched the last three times out. The bite is early and while it is dark out and seems to only go until the sun comes up!! I trolled outside the marina and caught two fish in the first hour. Both nice macs. I then had to put up with the "bank tanglers" brigade that started to show up between 6 and 6:30 (thanks Tubedude for that name....very appropriate, no I know your frustrations from your float tube!) and I could not make my "run" close enough to the marina dike so I fished another 30 minutes before the rain chased all the bank tanglers away. When I got my trolling "run" going again, I caught 6 fish in the next 2 hours and they were all nice fish (biggest was 9 lbs and 31" long and the smallest was about 24" and I didn't weigh that one). The rain poured the whole time and I was the only boat on the lake besides BLM. I did see Bear Lake Mac and Petty + one other guy with them. They launched about 7:15am and headed to the rockpile. I dont' know how they did. I fished until 9:00am and the wind came up and made it difficult to troll at one consistent speed (although the rain quit about the same time). Nasty day, but good results. I kept two fish for "palatiblity checks" that will be performed later today!! Sorry guys but my wife took the digital camera to my daughters volleyball game.

Sat 10/30. I launched at Cisco Beach about 5:50am and began trolling to the north from the boat ramp. I caught two 4-5 lb. lakers on flatfish before I reached the guard shack at Cisco Beach. I then turned around and trolled back without any luck. I then trolled off South Eden and North Eden and the wind coming out of those canyons was brutal although the lake was like glass everywhere else. I did not catch anything else but I was "expoloring" for new spots more than I was concentrating on catching fish. I talked to one boat in about 55' feet off Rainbow Cove boat ramp and they were catching some cutts on rapalas. In fact they had a "double" on when I passed by. My friend also fished this day and he did not launch until about 6:30. He did not do that good either, but later in the day he picked up on nice laker out deep off Cisco Beach. No pics since I forgot the camera at home.

Fri 10/29. Lake was like glass and no other boats out. I launched at 5:45am at the marina and trolled back and forth. I ended up with 7 fish total and kept two for eating. (They were very good, by the way!) The fish were all caught before 7:15am and once the sun came up over the east side about 7:20 the bite was over and I never caught another fish. I wasted 2.5 hours trolling without a hit from 7:30 until 10:00am when I quit. Flat fish was the preferred bait. I will add a pic of the "eaters" after I download them from my digtal camera.
[inline "DSCF0096 resized.jpg"]
[signature]
Thanks for the report Scott, good to hear the catching is early this year. Wiperslayer and I will be up there on Monday to give it a try, I sure hope the jigging is good after the sun come up. Have you tried any jigging? It sounds like you were trolling very close to the marina dike, how deep is the water in that area?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good report.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What is the forecast for the whitefish run? I'll be up to play with those guys for sure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No extra charge for the "bank tanglers" term. Kind of a spinoff from my So. Cal fishing boat days when we referred to women fisherpersons as "lady tanglers"...for various reasons.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got a few other choice terms for waders, boaters, skiers, etc. Most of them can't be posted on this family forum.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I hope to come up next week sometime been too long sice i have been up there
[signature]
we ended up trolling most of the day because of wind and didnt catch a thing. wind calmed down a little so we could jig and blm hooked into an 8lb, shortly after that bassackwards hooked up on a 5lber and i then got a 14.5lber.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Here's Tamato Petty and his fish. Ain't he purty![/size][/black][/font]
[center][inline Tamato_Boy_and_Fish.jpg][/center]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] Great shot and nice catch Petty.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]AFdan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Very nice outfit....warm and dry!

Very nice catch, I am jealous!
[signature]
[cool]Boy petty sure looks grumpy for just catching a 14 pound mack, wouldn't ya say? Maybe he's just trying to look tough?[Tongue][Tongue]

Anyhooters, nice mack petty!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]